BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander IV on PSN! (December 23, 2009)

As far as I can tell, you have to download it from your PS3 or PSP -- the PSN store doesn't have a web interface like Xbox Live.

ok, got it...thanks, i was trying to download it from my PC....
also when i did a search for "Wing Commander" both Wing Commander III and WIng COmmander IV came up, is WC3 also availalbe to play on PSP..again thanks

also when i did a search for "Wing Commander" both Wing Commander III and WIng COmmander IV came up, is WC3 also availalbe to play on PSP..again thanks

No, when you search at the top it shows you both games' entries in the Sony catalog. All that is saying is that the games both came out for the Playstation.

It's a shame then that WC3 was not put in first, can you even run the PS/1 version on the current PS3/slim edition?

Actually yes. It doesn't play PS2 titles, but it will play PS1 games. But it could go either way on your first comment there. If you had to pick just one, it'd be a hard decision to go between WC3 or WC4. WC3 had less cut, but both are huge four-CD games on the Playstation. WC3 has the slightly cleaner video, but then mono audio. WC4's controls are definitely better with the smooth feeling dual-analog controls. And if you want to play a console WC3, the 3DO version was redone from the ground up with a bunch of cool new missions. The great thing is just that we got a WC game on the PSN, which will undoubtedly introduce the series to a new audience yet again. There's also 200 million dirt cheap used PS1/2s in circulation if any of us wanted to play these games another way. :)

While a do agree with the "weird controls" on WC3, story-wise it would have been great to have WC3 first, and then WC4 three months later, without much effort from Sony/EA.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that *seems* obvious, but they don't just put titles on the service by picking names out of a hat. There must have been a reason why they picked WC4, and we just don't know what it is. You could even make a case that WC4 is a more complete self-contained story that's less dependent on WC1/2 than WC3.

I seriously screamed like a little girl when I saw that this was up. I had just bought a $20 PSN points card last week to get some Borderlands DLC, and was wondering what to do with the leftover $10. This, and a copy of The King of Fighters '99 should do nicely!

I *highly* recommend the PS1 version of this game. I first played Wing Commander on a Super Nintendo, and since we didn't have a family computer until I was almost out of high school, every WC experience I had growing up came on a console system. Sure, I played WC III years later on a tangerine-colored iMac, but I was happy as a clam playing WC III and IV on a Playstation years before.

I honestly and truly can't think of a better deal for your $6 on the entire PSN Store. Buy it, play it, love it :-D

Sorry I don't really comment on forums but I had to throw my two cents in on this topic. I never liked the Playstation version of Wing Commander IV. I originally was introduced to Wing Commander when my step dad came home with the playstation version of WCIII and that game was awesome! A couple years later I got WCIV for the Playstation and at first I liked it. Over time though I realized there were things missing like a ton of the movies. A lot interactions between characters was taken out and I was actually always confused about why Blair defected. A lot of the movies showing what happened with the crew of the Lexington were removed. There is also many times where there is nothing to do but just play the next mission.(Though this isn't necessarily bad but felt like there was nothing going on within the game.) Also the AI isn't very good, far too easy. Sometimes they just slow down for no reason not swerving or dodging even on the highest difficulty levels, at least for my game. I never liked Wing Commander IV until I got the PC game and found that it was Far Superior to the Playstation version. I don't like to be negative about Wing Commander because I Love the Franchise. I do hope though that this gets more people interested in Wing Commander and if people do enjoy the game they might go out and buy some of the other games in the Series.

this is all great stuff...but did anyone download the PSP version...i dont have a playstation, only the PSP and now an xbox360...
i am looking for a used 3do systrem to play Syper Wing Commander that i got along time ago...

this is all great stuff...but did anyone download the PSP version...i dont have a playstation, only the PSP and now an xbox360...
i am looking for a used 3do systrem to play Syper Wing Commander that i got along time ago...

I know LOAF loaded it onto his PSP... But probably from off his PS3 first. You would have to ask him. But I'm pretty sure it's the same version. The only challenge for you would be downloading directly to the PSP.

I think I am going to have to plead a bit of ignorance here too,

Santa delievered a nice new PSP3003 to me, I can see from the instructions that it will connect to wireless networks, however, mine is a ethernet cable router.

I think reading everything above, I can't just create a PSN account and download Wing IV to my PC and transfer it across the USB, however, can I use the USB to get onto the web using the PC as a gateway? or am I being overly simplistic?

(Actually, looks like Wing IV is not yet out in the UK)

Edit: my girlfriend got me lemmings for PSP for christmas, I got a small tear of nostalgia for the old amiga days. I have managed to find a copy of EA replay on amazon, so I have ordered that for Wing I :)

Edit 2: I ve got a Playstation 2 I could dust off if that makes any difference to how I could do this?

While a do agree with the "weird controls" on WC3, story-wise it would have been great to have WC3 first, and then WC4 three months later, without much effort from Sony/EA.

My guess is that it has to do with WC4 being a more self-contained story, like Crid said.

In other hopeful news, PSOne games on the PlayStation Network are suggested by Sony, get the OK from the publishers and then get retested by the ESRB. WC4 wouldn't be on the PSN if EA didn't have confidence in it.

Oh, another thing, you CAN download the game from a PC, but you need to use the PSP's MediaGo software to access and purchase software from the PSN.

Here's a link if you've misplaced your CD.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/mediago

I know LOAF loaded it onto his PSP... But probably from off his PS3 first. You would have to ask him. But I'm pretty sure it's the same version. The only challenge for you would be downloading directly to the PSP.

I downloaded it straight from PSN onto my PSP by connecting to a wireless internet sky-hole. Once you've purchased it on your account you can re-download it on all your systems for free.

I hope this sells. I've talked it up to everyone I know. :)

Apart from any financial/political wrangling between EA and Sony, there are very few technical barriers to putting PSone games on the PSN store.

Know what I'd like to see next?

1. EA Replay on the PSN store for download. The European PSN already has this game, which contains the SNES versions of WC1 and Special Missions. That would be a great little treat to get over here.

2. The PSone version of WCIII would be great to have on the go, but even better would be a modern, optimized version of any of the first four games. Video compression has come a long way since WCIV so there's little reason for the game to be more than 2GB in size. I'd also like to see the long loading times go away.

3. And wouldn't it be nice to see an updated retake of WC 1 and 2 other than "Super Wing Commander?"

4. If time and money are short, a high-res port of the 3DO version of WCIII would be simply delightful as a downloadable game.

5. The only other modern platform (besides PC) getting space shooters these days is the iPhone. EA has done a bunch of very nice ports to the platform, and Wing Commander would be a great fit for the accelerometer controls and touch screen.

Having never downloaded anything to my PSP can someone anwer some questions:
Are the games copy protected? That is can they be backupped in any way should the memory card break.
Are there any known problems with custom firmwares and downloadable PSP stuff?

I downloaded it straight from PSN onto my PSP by connecting to a wireless internet sky-hole. Once you've purchased it on your account you can re-download it on all your systems for free.

I'm downloading it myself now from PC to to PSP. The transfer is lengthy, but it appears to be going through ok. I've got one of the old bulky PSPs, dunno why, but I like it better then the crappy Slim... and I'll never invest in a go. I haven't seen that it does anything the other PSPs don't, cept eliminate the the discs, which i don't like.

Back