BREAKING NEWS: Wing Commander IV on PSN! (December 23, 2009)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Holiday surprise: Electronic Arts and Sony have made Wing Commander IV available as a digital download from the the PlayStation Store. The game is a 'PSOne Classic' which can be played on both the PlayStation 3 console and the PlayStation Portable handheld! The cost is $5.99 and it is currently only available through the US store--we'll let you know when other regions add the game. It's a 2.25 GB download--so it may be time to pick up a new PSP memory card...

The official announcement is here and the game's PSN page is here. Download a copy and send EA a message about interest in Wing Commander!

--
Original update published on December 23, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a big download, but I've been hoping for some
modern WC action on my PSP! And the price is certainly right. Merry Xmas to us!

I'll have to see what Santa brings this year...

Hopefully I will have the Hardware to go and pick this up. Thanks for the heads up.

Yee-haw--this is a surprise to everyone here, to say the least.

The big storm took out my internet tube and I only just now made it to work to update the news... and there's no way to download the game.

Just ordered a big memory card for my PSP! The 32 meg one Chris gave me way back when has served its time...

Hehe, 32 megs. This is fantastic! I've had a PS3 for 18 months now and haven't played a single game on it (I wonder where the controller is...), but that will change tonight!

Hehe, 32 megs. This is fantastic! I've had a PS3 for 18 months now and haven't played a single game on it (I wonder where the controller is...), but that will change tonight!

Hahaha That was the same with me, until I started blowing serious cash downloading old games!

I've played... Flower.

I know where my controller is, but I'm going to be frantically digging for the USB cable that charges it...

I literally just hunted out a "full-package" physical copy of this game less than 3 months ago. I might be buying this just to 'send the message.' But at the same time, I haven't paid for anything on the PSN yet, because I've been unsure if I want to keep my PS3 (had it for over a year, but it's mostly a BluRay player that happens to play one or two games).

Argh... tough choice...

Nu

The sky's the limit when it comes to Wing Commander, but in this case it is specifically the Playstation version of WC4 that's being rereleased on PSN, which carries with it the obvious associations. Rereleases can (and will!) come in many different shapes and flavors in the future however.

Hot damn and Hallelujah!

Question, though. I never played the PSX version of WC4--I was a PC gamer back then. When WC4 came out, the PC version got stunningly good reviews, while the reviews for the PSX version ranged from mediocre to downright bad, if I recall correctly.

Was that just a case of console gamers at the time not knowing what to expect from a space combat simulator? Or was the PSX version of WC4 inferior in some way to the PC version? I am worried that if I download it an play it, and the gameplay is worse than it was on the PC (and awesome gameplay was one of the many big strengths of WC4), that it will somehow tarnish my memory of what was probably one of my favorite games of all time...

Ah so no EU release then? :( We are normally delayed compared to the US PSN store.

Still great news hope this means WCIII won't be far behind!

PSN: StarmanUK - if anyone cares to add.

That's neat. As soon as it is available in Europe, I'll download it for my PSP...after I buy a new Memory Card. I knew my PSP wasn't a waste!

A nice early christmas present!

Hot damn and Hallelujah!

Question, though. I never played the PSX version of WC4--I was a PC gamer back then. When WC4 came out, the PC version got stunningly good reviews, while the reviews for the PSX version ranged from mediocre to downright bad, if I recall correctly.

Was that just a case of console gamers at the time not knowing what to expect from a space combat simulator? Or was the PSX version of WC4 inferior in some way to the PC version? I am worried that if I download it an play it, and the gameplay is worse than it was on the PC (and awesome gameplay was one of the many big strengths of WC4), that it will somehow tarnish my memory of what was probably one of my favorite games of all time...

Well, the complaints about the PSX version of WC4 aren't really about the gameplay, which is much better with a controller than WC3 PSX. The controls were reworked to make use of the analog sticks for example, and they even added limited rumble effect. THe complaints I have with WC4 PSX are two-fold.

First, the video quality isn't as good as WC3 PSX. Because they have dolby surround in the cutscenes that requires stereo audo, they lowered the video resolution to keep the file size manageable whereas, other than the intro, WC3 psx has pretty much mono audio. THe difference in quality is quite noticeable.

Second, WC4 PSX is also abridged. Just to illustrate, it is only four CDs compared to the PCs six. Some mission sequences are missing altogether along with a number of non essential cutscenes. The game still flows well though and to the uninitiated it works quite well, but to those used to the complete thing it's a big step backward from WC3 PSX that tried too faithfully to be like it's PC parents.

So What's New?! (December 24, 2009)

The exciting rerelease of Wing Commander 4 for the Playstation 3 and Playstation Portable has raised a few important questions. Wingnuts have been asking us for specifics about the game and details compared to the PC version. As this is a 'PSOne Classic' game, what is now available is the original Playstation version released in April 1997, and it's up for purchase now through the PS3 and PSP (and not for the PC) for $5.99.

The Playstation version of the game shipped on four CDs instead of six, so there were certain tradeoffs made. 16-but stereo Dobly Surround sound was added, but the videos are slightly more compressed and some nonessential scenes and video choices were removed. In order to eliminate ground missions, the entire Circe System was cut. The three atmospheric missions in the Tyr System were replaced by three brand new missions with alternate wireframe briefings. These have the player search and insert marines into space labs to search for the bioconvergence chemist.

The comm videos also are in color on the Playstation! And there are some different names in the pilot database. WC4 also got a control scheme revamp with support for dual analog joysticks, customized controls and "force feedback" rumble. Bonus features for playing this game on the PS3/PSP include the ability to pull the manual up at any time and reassign controls outside of the game. Sound good? Now go get it!

--
Original update published on December 24, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never played the PS version of Wing Commander IV before, but so far, I'm impressed. The controls take a bit of time to figure out, but they started to make sense quickly, top left trigger + gun or missile changes the gun or missile, the D-pad controls the comm system, etc. The only issue is that the load times are a bit long.

I recommend playing it with auto-tracking guns, though.

ok, this may sound stupid, but how do i download the game!!!
i went to the site, but there is no option to download....please help

Back