Blair's Maneuvers

Hydrogen scoops are present in the game only by the mere fact that you don`t lose fuel when flying without afterburner or jump engines, not much else.

Yeah, those are the scoops (Bussard Intakes). Check out the scene in the WCIV novel where Pliers describes where they are on the Lance (G). But, I mean, really, that's why all the fighters have intake vents on them...
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think they're true Bussard intakes. If I remember correctly, one of the major costs in the Dragon was the miniature Bussard intakes. I think the newer ships have a non-100% effective version or similar tech (which accounts for the increased fuel capacity, and the older ships have an extremely primitive, ineffective version (just enough for cruising speed). Truly effecive Bussard intakes (Im not sure if the smaller ones are actually Bussards) are either really big and powerful or just plain expensive.

BTW, they seem rather lacking on some Kilrathi ships...

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

I believe the special thing about the Lance is that the matter taken in by its Bussard intakes is fed to a matter/anti-matter drive rather than an ion engine.

The Kilrathi -- as we are told in Freedom Flight -- power their ships with atomic engines.

(Of course, not even the ones seen on capships are truly scientific Bussard Ramjets, which would need to be much, much larger than the ships they're powering...).

Okay, I'll accept that
smile.gif

But would they really slow down the ships so much? Especially when you consider just how little hydrogen there is out there?

i watched the movie again and at that part right before they do that move blair say "jack-in-the-box on three" and at three they do the move so it is called the jack in the box
cool.gif

I think that was cleared up a few posts down.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back