Blair Thoughts

The Phantom

Spaceman
People seem to be obsesed with Blair's "Death". I personally feel that he is still alive. He's gotten out of sticky situations before. But the idea of him walking to his shuttle has come up. On person felt that that was the wrong response, others feel that he was sacrificing himself for humanity. All these could be true. However, here is something else to chew on. Is it possible Blair was simply tired of fighting? After all he had seen 10(?) years fighting the Kilrathi, the conflict with the Border Worlds, and finally the Nephlim. He had lost many companions (Spirit [WC2], Angel [WC3]), Hobbes [WC3], etc.) and maybe he was just tired and felt it best to finish his part in the wars. This way his death would be seen as heroic. Just think about it. I'm sure he wouldn't be the first to do something like that. I just wish that EA would continue Wing Commander:mad: .

Well, that's basically what we were talking about in one of the other threads (before Ghost dumbassed it up) -- the idea of Blair letting himself die fits with Prophecy's theme of replacing the veterans with fresh characters...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well, that's basically what we were talking about in one of the other threads (before Ghost dumbassed it up) -- the idea of Blair letting himself die fits with Prophecy's theme of replacing the veterans with fresh characters...

I dumbassed the other ?????? :rolleyes:

While it might be possible that Blair made it to his shuttle... the question becomes how he killed that alien in time and escaped in such a way that the explosion from the wormhole gate wouldn't decimate him.

I tend to imagine that he died while fighting the alien.

With all this discussion on the dramatic impact, blah, blah... wouldn't it be very ironic and anti-climactic if Blair did make it out? I think it's the best way for him to go, and not just fade out like Paladin and Maniac (yes, I know Paladin is still mentioned, but you don't see him as a pilot/spy/general/senator anymore).

Exactly. Blair should be dead. Perhaps more honor and stuff can be tacked on given that he sacrificed himself for the Terran race and in battle.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
the question becomes how he killed that alien in time and escaped in such a way that the explosion from the wormhole gate wouldn't decimate him.

Blair was smart and strong... nobody could stop him ! ;)

He was talking smack to the alien he just killed....

[Blair]
"Yeah, that's right! You want some!?"
[computer]
[Blair]
"Crap."

Originally posted by Wedge009
With all this discussion on the dramatic impact, blah, blah... wouldn't it be very ironic and anti-climactic if Blair did make it out? I think it's the best way for him to go, and not just fade out like Paladin and Maniac (yes, I know Paladin is still mentioned, but you don't see him as a pilot/spy/general/senator anymore).

Maniac faded out? Since when? He seemed to be fairly active and alive in Prophecy.

If you were to "fade out" Blair, there are better ways to do it, with much more emotional impact. The problem of what they did is due to it's ambiguity and it's lack of definition toward the character. We've known a great deal about Blair all through out his career and yet we do not know if that was his end? It seems like someone's bad attempt at yanking our collective chains (if you buy that kinda BS).

Maniac supposedly retired, and ended up working with Drake to promote military stuff in the senate. And maybe he'll write a book.

Paladin, however, was called back into action at the outset of Prophecy -- who knows what he'll do next... <G>

Bandit Loaf your wrong maniac did not retire he stayed in paliden is a senator in the great assembly and been there since the end of the war
Blair retired and was recalled during the black lance conflic in which towlyn was in the center of because towlyn wanted blair and anyothers who served on the victory and because of the behemoth and towlyn still blame blair for the destruction of the tigers claw

Bandit Loaf your wrong maniac did not retire he stayed in

According to the WCP Official Guide, Maniac was preparing for retirement... and according to the Secret Ops fiction, he was off the flight roster and was working with the senate.

paliden is a senator in the great assembly and been there since the end of the war

According to the ICIS manual included with Prophecy, Paladin had been called out of military retirement to again serve with the fleet. Historically, it is not unheard of for senators to take arms during a crisis.

Blair retired and was recalled during the black lance conflic in which towlyn was in the center of because towlyn wanted blair and anyothers who served on the victory and because of the behemoth and towlyn still blame blair for the destruction of the tigers claw

Blair was on inactive reserve after the war -- he recieved half-pay, and could be called back to service in a time of need. Tolwyn reactivated his comission as, essentially, a PR move -- winning the approval of the people for his intended war with the Border Worlds by convincing the Heart of the Tiger that it was necessary (hence, Seether's demonstration at the Orlando depot...). It has not been specifically stated that he hoped to enlisted Blair in his cause, but this was certainly the case with others (Eisen!) who he'd assigned to Lexington.

Originally posted by Darkwarrior

pfff... plz make real sentences with "." and ","... It's hard to understand for a frenchman...

...and according to the Secret Ops fiction, he was off the flight roster and was working with the senate.
I don't recall reading any of that in fiction - the only mention of Maniac I remember was in the report about Blair's memorial service.

According to the ICIS manual included with Prophecy, Paladin had been called out of military retirement to again serve with the fleet...
I just read that bit last week - I'm sure he writes to Blair that they (the military) were only thinking about pulling him out of mothballs and putting him back into the cockpit. Still, it would be interesting to see him fly again after WC1... then again maybe not.

Back