Blair Thoughts

Err, I don't think the implication was that Paladin would be *flying*... just that he'd be back in service as a general.

IIRC, the Maniac reference comes from... the WCSO fiction in the WCP:Gold manual <G>

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

According to the ICIS manual included with Prophecy, Paladin had been called out of military retirement to again serve with the fleet. Historically, it is not unheard of for senators to take arms during a crisis.

Was there a shortage of qualified personnel already serving or is Paladin that highly regarded?

Anyone who's a General is usually highly reguarded. Plus, Paladin is probably acknowledged as a major part of the effort to destroy Kilrah. Imagine having that tag in your file!

Well that's all well and good. But isn't having a general who is renown for playing a key part in blowing up Kilrah a good idea considering the Kilrathi are now Confed's allies?

Any man who has a key part in ending a 30+ year war is a good one to have at your back. :)

LOL! I'd say if you noticed Melek's reaction to the takeout of Kilrah, arguably you'd have a lot of the same from other Kilrathi. If they engendered that much respect for the heart of the tiger, I don't know why suddenly they'd be pissed off that Paladin hatched the idea. Besides, the Nephs could make kitty litter of them awfully easy. I'd want the guy who was able to make short work of my homeworld on my side of the space roaches were after me, but that's just my sentiments...

Originally posted by Penguin
Well that's all well and good. But isn't having a general who is renown for playing a key part in blowing up Kilrah a good idea considering the Kilrathi are now Confed's allies?

General or Senator, he'd still be leading Confed... and I don't think we're *too* worried about offending the fleabags.

The Kilrathi might actually respect Paladin, as he was a friend of Blair. And he did have a reputation as a pilot and warrior, which the cats would respect somewhat (more than they would someone who was a career politician anyway).

All good points, but the Kilrathi aren't exactly unified are they? I mean there are some factions that look back to the glory days of the empire. If Paladin's running the show these disaffected kats could be a cause of problems. All in all someone a little less controversial would do. Besides don't tell me veterans like Paladin, Blair and Maniac don't even have the option of being able to retire knowing that there are competent people left to keep the home fires burning.

True, the state on unrest within the Kilrathi would make any politics with them very difficult, regardless of who they were dealing with.

In a time of crisis a lot of people like to go back to folks who have had proven leadership. Not to mention it is hard for some people to quietly ride off into the sunset, especially when war is breaking out.

As for unrest in the empire, Paladin was highly placed during WCIV and there weren't any indications that was causing unrest. In fact, if anything, having someone like Paladin in chareg, might make the cats less likely to do something, because his record is backed by concrete actions. Also, it isn't clear what he is doing, at least to me. He makes references to being brought out of mothballs, but the "stationary" that both his letter to Blair and Casey are written on still refer to him as a Senator and a retired general. I assume with his war record he would be a good one to push things trhough the armed services committee. In fact, I'm betting that is a lot of what Drake and Marshall are doing is testifying for more funding, etc.

Back