Blair-Maniac

Eh, but that didn't actually happen - in the same way that Maniac didn't really say Blair is the guy from Star Wars :).

It happened. At the end of Special Ops 2. The difference is, one was an outtake. The other was included in the game. I don't see how it COULDN'T have happened.

By the way, Blair and Maniac never knew eachother in the Academy. They met for the first time in the bar on the Tiger's Claw. This is the game storyline. It's common practice around here that if the movie\show\books contradict the game, then pick the game for storyline continuity. Therefore, there was no Blair\Maniac academy incident.

I think its safe to ignore ONE line in the very first game that ever came out for WC. Especially since all the backstory provided about Blair and Maniac makes everything a lot more interesting.

By the way, Blair and Maniac never knew eachother in the Academy. They met for the first time in the bar on the Tiger's Claw. This is the game storyline. It's common practice around here that if the movie\show\books contradict the game, then pick the game for storyline continuity. Therefore, there was no Blair\Maniac academy incident.

That's not common practice at all... there are no levels of canon.. The Academy shows happened as shown. Maniac and Blair just happened to talk like that in the Bar for some reason.

TC

If Academy were to be taken as gospel in the WC series, then Wc2 shouldn't have happened. Blair would have already known about the Strakha, and logged it. I would trust one line in Wc1 over an entire animated series, and a bunch of books. Until Chris Roberts himself tells me otherwise, I'm going with the games. Everything else is just fluff, and franchising.

Originally posted by LividLiquid
It happened. At the end of Special Ops 2. The difference is, one was an outtake. The other was included in the game. I don't see how it COULDN'T have happened.
Both happened after the credits. You're quibbling over the fact that the transition method used was different - in WC2 they had a smooth transition, whereas in WC3 they used a cut. So, either you accept both or neither.

In the words of captain Eisen Your both right and your both wrong. In the academy series that was a load of bullshit, but that scene in wc1 was as well, in the Kilrathi saga manual and in claw marks it states and I quote

"I got the wings, the guts, and the girls! Rules schmules!" -MANIAC
"You and maniac can finally see who's the hotshot on the REAL turf! personally I hope you blow him away" -Number One
all are quotes from Blair's academy graduation day

You're insane -- of course Maniac and Blair knew eachother at the Academy... we see it mentioned all the time.

Note, of course, that the first episode of Wing Commander Academy didn't actually take place at the Academy -- it was at Flight School on Sirius.

Originally posted by LividLiquid
If Academy were to be taken as gospel in the WC series, then Wc2 shouldn't have happened. Blair would have already known about the Strakha, and logged it. I would trust one line in Wc1 over an entire animated series, and a bunch of books. Until Chris Roberts himself tells me otherwise, I'm going with the games. Everything else is just fluff, and franchising.

Have you actually seen that episode anytime recently? There were huge differences between that fighter and Strakhas. The one from WCA didnt cloak, it just used materials and a shape that made it's sensor signature nonexistant. If you knew where to look you could see it. It could still fire even if no one could track it. Its the space version of our stealth bomber which is more realistic to believe the Kilrathi are capable of building and a huge leap from actually removing all traces of the fighter's existance from space with a cloak.

Ok. You ALMOST have me convinced with the Kilrathi Saga manual thing, but name a few more refferences for me. Just humor me.

The fighter in WCA was just a Sartha with a sensor-cloak... remember, they could actually see it? The Kilrathi equivalent of Confed's Shroud device (which, we know, was a predescessor to the complete cloak...).

As for references to Maniac and Blair being at the Academy...

- Maniac signed Blair's Academy yearbook in Kilrathi Saga.
- The Prophecy manual's interview with Maniac talks about he and Blair were at the Academy together.
- Blair and Maniac's bios in the Prophecy guide talk about being at the Academy together.
- WC1 starts with Blair as a recent Academy graduate... and the Claw Marks manual states that Maniac was part of the same most recent class.
- Maniac asks Blair where the Hornets they flew at the Academy are, when they get to the Tiger's Claw in the movie.
- Their psych bios in the Confederation Handbook talk about being at the Academy together.
- The WC3 novel makes numerous references to Blair having known Maniac since they were at the Academy.

On a side note, the WingIV guide makes numerous references to the Acadamy...although, I have to admit, does ANYONE remember a scene from WcI through P where ANY references were made to the Acadamy? I'm not talking about the books, shows, or (god forbid) the movie. Not even the manuals. Does anyone remeber a scene from IN-GAME?

The Academy is referenced quite often in the games -- from WC1 forward, where Blair states he served on the Formidable while at the Academy.

Originally posted by Shane
Stilleto says something to Casey and Maestro about the Academy shortly after they come aboard.

True...but let's just say I wasn't thinking straight about what I said. :) I meant about Blair and Maniac.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Academy is referenced quite often in the games -- from WC1 forward, where Blair states he served on the Formidable while at the Academy.

Really? Hmm...guess I didn't remember that...I can honestly say I can't remember much about that sort of thing. Still, if I recall, the other guys did most of the talking in the TC's lounge...:)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The fighter in WCA was just a Sartha with a sensor-cloak... remember, they could actually see it? The Kilrathi equivalent of Confed's Shroud device (which, we know, was a predescessor to the complete cloak...)

Though it did have a major advantage over the Shroud in that it could fire without having to drop its sensor cloak.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor

Though it did have a major advantage over the Shroud in that it could fire without having to drop its sensor cloak.
Wha...? You're talking about an invincible fighter here then!!
How did they manage to defeat it??

Well, that's the thing - it wasn't completely invisible. It didn't appear on radar, but physically it was (barely) visible - just painted black.

Plus when you see laser beams firing out of nowhere you kinda get a clue where to look. THe trick is to not get hit by those beams first.

Back