Best WC music

Originally posted by Ghost
I like more the orchestra than techno/rock in a WC game.

No matter the power of a rock band, it is utterly obliterated by a full-sized orchestra and a good conductor.

Time for me to chip in my 2 cents

Prophecy`s inflight music was more "choir-based" than Oldziey`s earlier works. I found it interesting and sometimes having a "creepier" feeling because you are fighting a new alien race. and you don`t really know what to make of them.
One theme that sticks to mind is the "Blair`s abduction" theme, which you can find at http://www.blacklance.org/anonftp/pub/music/ . It gave a real sense of apprehension.

All in all, though, my favorite theme of all remains WC1`s opening theme. I wished they had developed it more in later games.

I absolutely agree that the early WC series are more suited to orchestral music than any other space sims out there. They are so classic, so human, so... well I don't know. If they re-make WC1 and WC2 using Independence War II engine with the original scores played with a real orchestra, I'd be in real heaven.
Let WCP and WC movie go with techno, dance, rock, heavy metal, rave, trance, anything they like and I just don't care.

Originally posted by LeHah

No matter the power of a rock band, it is utterly obliterated by a full-sized orchestra and a good conductor.

Heck yea!!! WC4 was the best at it too!

Originally posted by LeHah

And even better if you combine the two, ala Metalica S&M

Originally posted by Zor Prime
WC4 was the best at it too!
Did the WC4 music play in stereo? I don't think it did (it was very early technology, AFAIK) and IMHO that was a major bummer, not having stereo music.

I think both WC3 and WC4 are probably the finest examples of WC music. The FMV obviously had a lot to do with this since it gave Oldziey such a solid sense of story as well as so many varied musical opportunities. I don't like the WCP music much when listened to separate from the game since it really lacks any sort of substance and is basically just eerie chords meant to emphasize the terror of the new unknown threat. The technology used also has a big impact on the music in the games and I think if any of them were scored with an orchestra in mind they would all be equally fantastic.

The best WC theme still is, and always shall be, WC1's as it seems to capture the true grandeur of WC. The WC4 trial music is also memorable, but it's pretty lifeless compared to WC1.

Original is always the best, isn't it? ;)

Personally, I find it hard to make a choice, I still listen to my entire WC collection (MP3 and MIDI) on Winamp. WC1, WC2, Priv, Armada, WC3, WC4, WCP. Two and a quarter hours of aural pleasure. :)

I was listening to a "WC4-ending.mp3" from http://www.blacklance.org/anonftp/pub/music/
thanks to Mad Hatter, and I am going to change my opinion a bit. I am going to admit that I had regarded WC4's music too low. In fact I played WC4 in too much a big haste (I believed that game had been made in too much a big haste) and I didn't care it much.
The last part of "WC4-ending" is definitely borrowed from WC3. These two have so much in common.
Now I will say that WC3 and WC4 both have great music. The only pity is that they are so different from that of WC1&2.

My favorite music would have to be from Wing 1 and 2.I especialy liked wing 2's music.While Wing 1 had a heroic quality(which is good,too)Wing 2 had a darker more mature and subtle feel.From the opening "Cloak and Dagger" to the emotional piano pieces by Jazz, I would have to say this games music is my favorite.I also realy liked Wing 3 and 4.Wing 3 was memorable.Wing 3 had a darker more melancholy and hopeless feel; while Wing 4 had a political conspiracy like tone.I especially liked the theme they play when you go hunting for Eisen the first time.All in all they are all great scores.And who can forget Privateer's music for Oxford or Perry or New Constantinople.Vugrinec realy nailed those.While WCP's music was different,I must admit that some of it was creepy.Particularily the theme after you destroy all fighters leaving only capital ships.Try it while attakcing the comms center ;it is downright spooky and incredible.I agree that techno has no place in WIng COmmander.It sorta cheapens it.Of course I only listen to orchestral and classical style scores.This newer music might pump adrenaline,but an orchestral score is the only way to truly add color to an epic.

Bhaktadil, I very very much agree with you. I just vary with you a tiny bit:
WC1 has that sunny, youthful, and heroic mood which suited very much to my age when I played it.
WC2 has the same basic tone as WC1, but has got more color as more character revelation is involved.
WC3 is darker, well maby it is not really dark, but more sorrowful air floating all through mainly because of the lost of Angel. Maybe it's more sadness than darkness.
WC4 is seriously and genuinely dark. It's without doubt the darkest of the 4. The mystery, the hidden evil, the twisted human nature all call for ominous mood.
WCP is even darker than WC4. The darkness of WCP music is completely different with that of WC4. WC4 is humanly dark, while WCP is inhumanly dark.
Maybe my English is too weak to express myself fully.

Don't worry frui that was very clear. English is my first language and I doubt I would have been able to put it any better. Ahh wc music, I love it so. I don't think I'd be able to pick a favorite wc1,wc2,wc4 stand out in my mind as especially strong , but I wouldn't try and break it down any further all three of those have amazing music and the other games soundtracks are all good too, although I'm not a big fan of that Cobolt 60 stuff.

I don't have a major problem with the Cobalt 60 type industrial. At least, not in the simulator, particularly for those gauntlet-type missions where you can jump in your Vampire and splat some bugs to a pumping beat.

The Cobalt 60 stuff was great flying stuff, but industrial rock and techno seem VERY out-of-place in a WC game. I'd like to see it in another space shooter though. :)

Originally posted by Zor Prime
AFAIK the WC4 music was in stereo.
Is it? I'll have to play it again. It's just that the MP3s of WC4 are in mono - I think Mad Hatter just took those and put it into stereo.

If someone did manage to extract stereo WC4 (inflight) music let me know. I only remember the credits as stereo.

As for the Cobalt-60 stuff, I liked it, and I think it's fitting in a simulator, but not inflight, which is why I like playing SO with the original WCP music. :)

Well, Yes, I`ll admit to that. I split the WAVs to 2 channels, but in some themes I moved one of the channels about 5 milliseconds forewards or backwards, to give the music a slightly richer feel.

However, there are themes that were originally recorded in stereo, I`m talking about the 7 cutscene themes that were found a few months ago, which were recorded in very good quality.
Those are, indeed, in stereo.

Back