Best WC music

frui

Rear Admiral
I love the music of WC. I rank them as follows:
WC1, WC2, WC3.
I think the music in WC1 is the best of all computer games. So many different moods, so stimulating and so touching! I especially like the cruising music, the victory music (played with harp), the funeral music (the trumpet). The kilrathy theme (motiv) in WC2 is also very nice, with a Japanese style.
When I played WC1 and WC2, I have only soundblaster. I knew MT-32 but I can't afford it. Then after 5 years I bought an old MT-32 just to play WC1&2 again and fulfil my old dream. I failed, I can only hear fragmented parts because the game plays too fast. Moslo can't do any good to music either, so I only had a taste of WC1&2 played with an MT-32. It is still very good.
Of course I have all the midi files in GM format played on even better soundcard such as SCC-1 and Soundblaster live! with a 128mb soundfont. Strangely, though the music quality is much much better now, the music sounds less exciting and less overwhelming to me than it used to be on my old soundblaster 1.0 card in OPL3 FM quality.
I am very happy WC2 has so much in common with WC1 in music. But sadly WC3 has not! The music in WC3 is still very good, especially the title music, but it does not has that air characteristics of the WC1&2.
I had a taste of the music in Super WC yesterday. It's a big joke.

I certainly agree with you. The WC music is great, especially in WC1 and 2. The movie music is great too, as is the Priv music. The WC3 music never stuck in my mind as memorizing but it was nevertheless very good. And WCP music is very good too.

In fact, every WC music is splendid, :)

I believe the music from WC1 and WC2 is from the famous Fat Man group who also made the music of the 7th Guest. If so, then it makes real difference.
It is my strong belief that a great game MUST have great music.

There is a short passage that does move me in WC3 when Blair saw Cobra sitting lonely in the locker playing with a knife.

I stopped playing Mechwarrior 3 because I didn't like the music. :(

BTW, does the TIE Fighter music remind you of WC? I mean, really, REALLY remind you of WC?

Maybe it's just me...

TIE Fighter and WC1-3 use the same synth boards. It's a MT-32/SoundCanvas according to Fatman. Oldziey dumped that and upgraded for WC4 and then sampled in WC: P.

Personally, the defining WC theme is the WC1 and 2 launch theme. That never fails to get my blood going. Also good music was the WC1 opening theme, Tolwyn's trial in WC4 and the WC:p track that uses the gong repeatedly. Gongs fucking rock. And Bass Trombone.

Bob, I think most of the music of Tie fighter or X-wing is adapted from the original soundtracks by John Williams. Of course they can't be beaten, but I still prefer the music of Wing Commander. The SW themes are simply too familiar and I have eventually get bored with them.
SW music and WC music both have that vigorous "space opera" style, yet I feel WC music is sometimes more subtle and tender.
One reason I love Origin is that all their games have wonderful music, with Ultima and WC series as the best.
Well, I should say Lucarsart is excellent in that aspect, too.
and early Sierra games...oops I am going off the thread.

I think that WC4 had by far the best music of all the games. I love the music during Tolwyn's trial and the music during the last mission also has a nice feel to it. And the rest was cool too...

Ah... this great Overture (I love this track, and the WC1 soundtrack, and the one of Wc2, and... wait a minute... there are all great ;) )

Originally posted by LeHah
Personally, the defining WC theme is the WC1 and 2 launch theme. That never fails to get my blood going.

I loved that track! I think that in the WCM, when the fighters are scrambling for the first time, the music is sort of reminiscent of the WC1 launch music.
I also like the WC1 and WC2 battle music.

The music you hear when Blair is thinking about shooting Jazz, and later when you take out K'Tithrak Mang. That sure is a great piece of music!

Originally posted by Ghost
WCP the most crappy music of all the WC saga.
And yet the only music that's got its own CD...
(at least until WC1 and 2 comes out... :cool::cool: )

WC:p's wasn't really bad. I mean, Oldziey's music was good, as usual and the techno/rock stuff was interesting w/o a doubt. Personally, I'd like to hear more of that kind of music, but not in a WC title. It sounded out of place.

Mech2, Mech2:GBL, and Mercs all had kick-ass music. :D
You guys _DO_ know you can play 'em in your CD player, right? (Mech cd's, that is)
Just skip track 1, and don't say I didn't warn you...

Oldziey's work in WCP was different, but I still liked it. Different atmosphere since Confed is fighting a new enemy, I suppose. I love the inflight music from CD3. And best of all, WCP's music is the easiest to extract! :)

I'll go with the torpedo-lock music from WC2. The first few times, I would abort my torp run just to hear the music again.

The absolute best WC music ever, was from WC4, at Tollwyns Tribunal. That song is awesome. I just listened to the WC4 soundtrack two days ago. I just love it!

Back