Best WC game to date

Ah yes....

Yeah.....

But Armada has that little multiplayer option and also a kicking flight engine, sort of a mix of the previous classic games and WC3 ..... the best of both worlds.....

Actually, I pretty much love everything up to WC 3 ...... They took my identity away and gave it to that damned Luke Skywalker!!!

Re: Ah yes....

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
Yeah.....

But Armada has that little multiplayer option and also a kicking flight engine.

Had you played WC4,WCP or SO ?

I've tried...

I have tried.... oh how I have tried... but I am too bitter about the war ending and all these newfangled weapons and funny ships.... what happened to me!? I'm a broken shell of a WC fan!

I'm with you, Corsair(pilot)! I loved Armada very much! The multiplayer feature was what I waited for. It is unfortunate the game is so outdated, though! I would love to have an online campaign game against somebody.

Also, flying for the Kilrathi was a neat little innovation.

But if I were to choose my all-time favorite, it would be WC3. That was the game that introduced me to the Wing Commander universe.

Depends entirely on what exactly you hold most dear in this kind of game. As for me...

Flight engine: WCP/WCSO
Nostalgia: WCI
Cutscene Quality: WCII and WCIV
Acting: WCIV
Character Dev: WCIII
Best mix of flight/story: WCIII
Plot: WCIV
Execution: WCIII

(And no, these are NOT the same. Plot is th estory itself, the concept. Storyline is how well that concept plays out.)

Overall: WCIII

I also have to say Armada was excellent. Between making it multiplayer, which I loved, and the Kilrathi fighting-it was an excellent game. As for the best one...hmm...I'll have to say it's a toss up depending on the category:

Story:WC4

Best gameplay value: Privateer

Most impacting (for me): WC3 (What with Hobbes and all...:( )

Favorite Wc:IV
Close second:privateer

Most impact: WcIV [vagabond]
Best gameplay: WcIV. WcII and privateer were close though.
Best cutscenes: WcII. WcIV close second
Lasting appeal: tie WCIV-replayed over and over WC: privateer, played on and on.
nostalgia: Wc1 of course.

i would have to say WCIV all the way. it is still the best game i have ever played even though WCP and SO have better engines and all. it had the best engine of its time and the best story for a game that i have ever played. Vagabond's death, Tolwyn's evil and Maniac's mouth! what a game! i also really liked it how Blair and Maniac were kinda friends as opposed to kinda hating each other (as in WC3). A true classic!

WC3

Well, WC4 had quite the interesting 'conspiracy' plot, which made it REALLY unpredictable. I couldn't put it down, but...

WC3 was really my Favorite. It was a shock to see our pixellated blue-haired friend and the ol' cast appear as real actors. The acting was also pretty good for a computer game (look at the lame acting in Red Alert 2) and gave you the 'epic' story look. Imagine:

You were caught in an unending war. A super-weapon, destroyed by a traitorous friend. Your love, killed by an evil adversary. And, yet hope. One shot, you must fly to the enemy homeworld, an impenetrable base, with a lone fighter and destroy it to save all humanity, mere hours before the invasion of earth would begin!

WC2 was my second though, because it introduced a LOT of concepts, like bombers, torpies, a real good plot, traitors, turrets, Phase shields, Jump missions, *love*, intrigue, cutscenes, plot twists, and all kinds of other revolutionary things.

WC IV is my favorite. It gave me goosebumps almost every time I played it. :eek:

Even the intro. I mean: the scream when that medical transport got dusted... WOW, that really left a mark on my young mind back then. And Tolwyn, and the Black Lance

*silly Cartman voice* They have warped my fragile little mind :D

WC2 is an extremely close second, though, as it introduced me to the series (Lord be praised for Creative putting it into their SB16/4xCd-rom upgrade).

My favorites are Privateer and WC2, both were great, and both had great add-ons which made the games much more interesting... RF extended Privateer's replay value even further with the new story and all the cool new ship enhancements, and SO1 and SO2 both were quite good follow-ups to the WC2 storyline.

--Eder

mmmm add ons.....

Elder's got a point.... the add ons to the earlier WC games (1,2,priv) were damn good.... And I think I was at the hieght of my addiction during that point! LOL so it's got the nostalgia feeling to it....

I would have to say the first two really stick out in my mind. This is partially due to nostalgia. Wing2 had a really great story and feel despite only using sprites.

Wing3 was quite impressive at the time. It simply was a revolution. To be honest, I think the story was fairly weak. Since this was Origins first interactive movie in the WC unviverse, I think they didn't quite know what to do with all this technology. Thus the story is a little shallow. However, the atmosphere and mood of the game more than make up for this. In fact, I would say that out of all the games in the Wing universe, WC3's atmosphere was the best. It also, in my opinion, best represented a war -- the futility and darkness of war, and the game had a perfectly dark and realistic feel.

Some people might say that WCIV was merely a commercial venture on EA's part. And this is true. The game is not all flash, however. It features one most complex stories in the Wing universe. The use of video and the characters are likewise, incredible. It did not have quite the same level of atmosphere as the other games, but its story and production values easily make up for this.

Privateer is one of my favorite games. It combines incredible atmosphere with its own unique feel.
A lot of people did not like Priv2, but I really enjoyed its interesting and unique universe. Elements of British Sci-Fi are seen in the game. It actually has a pretty rich universe.

Some people might say that WCIV was merely a commercial venture on EA's part.

Ya know, you could pretty much say that about *any* product EA (or any other company) produced:)

Back