Best soundtrack?

KoN21

Spaceman
I'm listening to WC3's soundtrack and thinking this stuff is timeless.

WC1 and 2 have great pieces, but they have shown their age over the years. WC4 has awesome music as well but something about the urgency in the WC3 music gets me going a little more than the darkness and betrayal in the WC4 music.
Prophecy is pretty entertaining, but the orchestral music doesn't have the outright pride and righteousness of WC3 or WC4.

What do you guys think?

I love the soundtrack from the mission in WC4 where u defect to the Borderworlds.

But yeah WIng Commander 3 is overall my favourite. I also loved the taunts that kilrathi throw at u especially the aces which is something I missed in WC4.

When you say Wing Commander, I whistle Wing Commander III.

But the best score is still from the first game. That Ron Goodwin-esque title march is phenominal. No - more than phenominal - morphenominal.

When you say Wing Commander, I whistle Wing Commander III.

But the best score is still from the first game. That Ron Goodwin-esque title march is phenominal. No - more than phenominal - morphenominal.

now that you mention it, I can see a certain similarity between Ron Goodwin's Battle of Britain theme and the WC I theme

I can see a certain similarity between Ron Goodwin's Battle of Britain theme and the WC I theme

I wasn't so much comparing the two in terms of themes but in the sense of musical approach. The "unabashed heroic march" type stuff. Goodwin etched his career out of that (the highlight being the title theme to Where Eagles Dare and Force 10 From Navarone)

Hmm, hard to choose! Sanger and Oldziey have always impressed -- WC3 is especially memorable, as Oldziey's work introduced me to Wing Commander when it lured me towards a rolling-demo of WC3 in a computer store all those years ago. The Wing Commander movie soundtrack is a firm fixture on my playlist, notwithstanding some memorable tunes and compilations from Privateer and the various WC ports.

Cheers,

BrynS

As much as I love all the music from Wing Commander, I'd have to go with the music from the original. The intro music is perfect, as well as the music for briefings, the scramble, flight, debriefings and award ceremonies. Also, the music that goes with victorious or disastrous campaign cutscenes is great.

There's a reason that Oldziey used the scramble tune in Wing Commander III, and that's because there's so little room for improvement.

By the way, this could make a good front page poll, pitting the different games up against the show and movie.

I've played WC1, Secret Missions, WC3, and WC4.. although I prefer most things about 3 and 4 and think they are overall better games in my opinion- I would have to say that the music from WC1 is by far my favorite. The music is very creative, sounds very unique, and builds appropriate emotions depending on the situation.

Privateer, hands down. I loved this music so much, I kept asking for someone to make the tracks go longer. Someone here, I forgot who, turned them into eight minute loops and I burned them on a CD and sometimes I'll listen to it in the car.

I especially love the New Constantinople and Agriculture Base tracks. It's totally the kind of music you wish would be playing in the background at sort of dismal locations. Unfortunately, I do not have a looped version of the Mining Base track. People wonder why I would want that as there is hardly anything going on in the music. But I think it's the perfect kind of ambient music one might listen to while doing my math homework or something. New Detroit is also kind of similar in this way.

The Steltek Base track is also really amazing. It totally captures an amazing alien feel to it.

Wing Commander would definitely not have made such an impact on me if it weren't for the music in it.

I also love the music in the briefing room of WC1 as well as the in-flight music when you're not engaging an enemy.

I really liked the jazz music in the rec room in WC3, which reminds me if I could somehow copy it from the game files and listen to it? Does anyone know how?

Also, I dont know if anyone caught this but I've played WC3 on KS and WC3 on 3DO and noticed; immediately after finding out that Angel died if you go into the rec room on the 3DO version, there is a slow and very deplorable tune playing. But, on the WC3 KS version, its deleted. Does anyone know why?

I think the Movie's soundtrack top is of my list, closely followed by WC4. WC1 is sort of tied with 3 next only because my largest experience with WC1 music was through midi playback within the games. So when I had by SB16 with the Roland daughter card it sounded amazing but on some of my weaker systems the music, particularly the danger cues, could get really grating.

WC3 was a great leap forward in the orchestration and structure of the music but 4 seemed even more refined and the Movie continued this evolution really well.

I leave out Prophecy only because of the large skew they took on the music. I liked the WCP music enough to buy the soundtrack, and it even got me into Cobalt 60 and Rammstein beyond that, but comparing WCP music to the other games, it's kind of like taking the script for Amadeus and turning into something akin to Some Kind Of Monster, WCP has a special place in my heart but it must be separated from the other kids in the class.

Back