Best Captain

Concordia_FP

Spaceman
If you're gonna debate on who is the better captain, you're all leaving out Sisko from DS9. He's the only 24th Century Captain to make Q leave him alone.

Oh yeah, you all went to see Nemesis??

Best Captain.... Hmmmmm.... I suppose we're talking Trek here...

Kirk. And quite honestly, second place should go to Khan for "catching" him with his "britches down". As in, Khan almost kicked his ass.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Sulu

Feh. Best thing he did was respond to the helmsman's concerns about the ship by saying "FLY HER APART THEN!

Which was pretty cool.:cool:

Originally posted by Concordia_FP
If you're gonna debate on who is the better captain, you're all leaving out Sisko from DS9. He's the only 24th Century Captain to make Q leave him alone.

actually, that's incorrect. there were many captains that Q left alone. We just see the ones he bothered, except for Sisko

Having missed most of DS9...
Is the point that Sisko made Q leave him alone (implying that Q tried to mess with him once, and quit after that), or that Q never did mess with Sisko (at least onscreen).
If the former, then that would be either quite an accomplishment, or just the fact that Sisko proved to be such an utter disappointment that Q gave up in disgust. The latter would mean pretty much nothing at all, except that Q didn't feel like flinging a starbase to another quadrant for a quick jaunt against the Borg.

Every Star Trek serie´s captain had a special and important relation with Q

Kirk: having fun with baby Trelane (if you consider it a Q :) )
Picard: saved the Earth (even the universe) and won the judgement against Q.
Sisko: decked him with a good punch.
Janeway: saved Q continuun (the civil war thing and Q´s son)
Archer: ???? (Berman won´t miss the oportunity to show a Q in Enterprise :( )

The Voyager episodes with Q were terrible. And then there was that dumb purple lipstick they had DeLance wear. Wait... wasn't Voyager as a whole just terrible?

I almost said Sulu for best captain, but instead I'll say Captain Edward Jellico from "Chain Of Command".

I think Kirk was the best.

Captain/Admiral/Captain Kirk was the first so every Captain after him gets compared to him. He got the job done always, he was charismatic, could manage diplomacy (barely), was innovative and clever, and knew when to take off the gloves and go in swinging. He got promoted to Admiral, although it's hard to tell how many stars he had (the insignia does look like a diamond suggesting 4 stars-- Full-Admirals currently on their shoulder boards four stars which are arranged like a diamond with the final star trailing a little bit further behind than the others). In ST: TMP, his insignia was that of a Rear Admiral (a 2-inch broad stripe with a half-inch stripe above it), but that took place 13 to 14 years before Star Trek II. Star Trek II, III, IV, and V take place only a few months apart (ST II = 2284-2285, STIII 2285 3 months after II, STIV a few weeks to months after III, and STV, just a few days to weeks after IV).

Captain Picard: Picard may have been the best Captain for a peacetime scenario (although all of the ST: Universe was peacetime except some of DS9). He was smooth and knew how to use diplomacy and could usually talk his way out of a fight. He commanded a ship that was a cross-between a battleship and a cruise-liner so that may have been his motivation for avoiding fights, but still. Diplomacy's good in real life, but it has little place in a Sci-Fi story. I think he basically was a wuss. He does have a powerful authoritative voice, which makes him sound very believable as a ship-captain. He can fight quite well though actually, so he's not entirely a wuss. But he does take a bit longer to take off the gloves than Kirk, or Janeway. To be honest, I would have prefered if Riker was the captain in The Next Generation rather than Picard, he was younger (35 in 1987-- same as Kirk was back in 1966), tougher, and he really knew how to put up a fight.

Commander/Captain Benjamin Sisko: Sisko was okay, and was probably the only officer in the fleet who knew how to really cook! He was also the only black-captain with a major role in ST (There was a captain in ST: TNG who was a black woman actually, but she had a small part only). He was the only captain in ST who was spiritual. Kirk was pretty much an atheist or at least heavy agnostic, Picard seemed more agnostic, Janeway... no idea, probably somewhere in the middle (agnostic). Sisko had a definite spiritual leaning (the prophets-- hey, a prayer made an entire Dominion fleet DISAPPEAR!!!) He was okay when it came to most things on a station, but really was at his best when it came to duking it out in space on the USS Defiant. Now that's a ship!!! DS9 was the only series that took place during a war (some of the movies took place during the same time, but still... I'm talking about series) He looked much tougher when he did away with that wussy short hair and shaved it bald. He also has a good powerful voice too.

Captain Janeway: Now Janeway I liked! She's like a female Captain Kirk... doesn't look as good though, but she's clever, she can do diplomacy (I think she may be even worse than Kirk!) and she really can kick ass and take names when it counts. She's probably not so good in a bar-room brawl as Captain Kirk though, about the same behind the controls of a ship (maybe a little less). She's also the second Star Trek Captain to end up as an Admiral (Kirk was the first). She also had a low-pitched voice which was a good thing... made her sound quite tough. Even though her voice was that of a 55 year old when she was only 39 (series started in 1994, and she was born in 1955).

-Concordia

Picard a wuss? Kirk and Picard have different personalities. Kirk goes in guns blazing and talks later, while Picard does the opposite. Kirk was a boxer and Picard was a chess player, so to speak. But when he had to, Picard kicked ass and took names with the best of them. They were the two best ever. Sisko runs a very close third and Janeway is left in the dust. If Janeway was a good captain, she would have used the teleporter thing that got them in the delta quadrent to get back and just left a time bomb to blow the damn thing up once they were gone.

The whole concept of Voyager was lame.

I especially liked when the ship got beat up, the next week it was sporting a brand new paint job like there was a starbase nearby, or something. Gag.

Back