Bengal is Gun Crazy

U

Unregistered

the bengal in UE is Bristling with guns (i counted about 21 laser turrets nearly as many as the midway but on a smaller craft) why so many guns

ps. this is not a negative review i like UE but the bengal is weird but thats just my opinion everything else is great

I believe the number of guns is based upon the stats given in the WC1 manual (claw marks) infact I believe the Dauntless is missing a few rather than having too many.
Remember, they're only lasers :)

Originally posted by Jumper
Also, the Bengal is fairly new compared to say, the Victory..
So you're essentially saying that the Ranger-class carriers are older than the Bengal-class, then, or what?...

Pfft... the bengal in the game is incredibly underarmed... When LOAF and I counted up all the weapons we could find for NewCommanderondaBlock we got the following:

Point Defense: 22 single lasers. 8 dual turrets.
20 laser batteries
40 torp tubes
2 plasma cannons

All the gun turrets on the Dauntless are taken from the diagram in the WC1 manual. There was a few more, but the damn thing was just invulnerable, so we had to cut it down a bit :p. The missile turrets aren't from any source, but you know how those Border Worlders like to upgrade their ships ;).

And yes, Preacher, the Ranger is older than the Bengal.

Originally posted by Quarto
And yes, Preacher, the Ranger is older than the Bengal.
Wow, I had no idea. I guess "Tin Can Sally" was a lot older than I ever thought.
Do you know the dates of entry into service for each carrier type?

I do not have the exact dates, but the UE fiction said somewhere that the Ranger class design is "a hundred years old".

Originally posted by Starkey
I do not have the exact dates, but the UE fiction said somewhere that the Ranger class design is "a hundred years old".

Yes, and even in Action Stations, they were referred to as being "outdated".

As to the age of the Victory, I presume it is about thirty to thirty-five years old at the time of WC3, since Eisen says that he served on her maiden voyage when he was a junior lieutenant.

Yep, the Rangers are a hundred year old design - the WC3 novel says they were designed nearly half a century before the Kilrathi War started. That would mean sometime in the 2580s. And as Ijuin says, the Victory herself has been around as long as Eisen has (and we know he was there right from the start of the war, thanks to the Venice Offensive reference in WC4).

The irony of all this is that while people have asked me why there are so many old ships in UE, the Bengal class is one of the most modern carrier designs in the WC universe. WC1 refers to them as being designed in 2642, while, circa 2681, the standard Confed carrier probably still is the Concordia class (first seen in 2634).

Of course, the movie complicates matters by dating the Bengals back to 2619. But then, the Bengal class according to the movie is a fair bit shorter, 25,000 tons lighter, and has a different armament, so a case could be made that the WC1 Bengals are a different class of ships (Bengal II, if you will).

...Of course, the movie complicates matters by dating the Bengals back to 2619. But then, the Bengal class according to the movie is a fair bit shorter, 25,000 tons lighter, and has a different armament, so a case could be made that the WC1 Bengals are a different class of ships (Bengal II, if you will).

Well, if WC1 Bengals are "II", then let's thank God that it's so, since I'd be embarassed to serve on (or even be seen in the same system as) the WCM Bengals :p

I dont like WCM Bengal too.Well,Looks like the Ranger Class design was very successfull cause the Concordia Class is based on it :)

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
I dont like WCM Bengal too.Well,Looks like the Ranger Class design was very successfull cause the Concordia Class is based on it :)
Well, sure; not only that, but if there's one still around "about 100 years later" - at the end of the war - it musta been of ingenious and durable design.

Of course, the movie complicates matters by dating the Bengals back to 2619. But then, the Bengal class according to the movie is a fair bit shorter, 25,000 tons lighter, and has a different armament, so a case could be made that the WC1 Bengals are a different class of ships (Bengal II, if you will).

There's no way that there are two seperate Bengal classes, with one being the movie version, and one being that of the games. There's really no way to seperate the movie Claw from the game Claw given the way the timeline works out.

My current theory would be that the original Bengal design from 2619 was shorter. It was then reworked in 2642, probably to extend the useful lifetime of the class. The Claw was then launched 2 years later

The fact that it was only a reworked design in the 2640s rather than a completely new one explains the speed at which they were able to go from the begining of the redesign process to the first launch. It also explains why the 'first' ship was the Tiger's Claw rather than the TCS Bengal. Then, they weren't quite happy with the design they ended up with and shortened it back down again by 10 meters for the TCS Kipling.

But wouldn't you expect this to be mentioned in the Confed Handbook profile of the Bengal? I mean, the information in there is from 2654, and they don't mention that there are re-designed Bengals floating around now... while it does seem quite silly, I admit, it simply makes more sense to assume they're a different class of ships. Of course, then you've got the problem of the movie Claw looking like the wrong class of ship... but you've got the same problem with the re-design solution, too.

You've got the same problem looking the other way, though... why doesn't the Confed Handbook mention the new class of Bengals in it's bit about the Bengal class when it's been around for a good 10 years by that point and really, it's the class you'd be interested in if you were being transfered to the Tiger's Claw. Also, it also seems rather odd to give the same class name to two different classes of Strike Carriers with remarkably similar statistics that will operate at the same time... And why would you build an entirely new class, to begin with, if it had nearly the same capabilities as that which it was going to replace and the original ship already had the bugs worked out and people trained to build it and shipyards tooled to create it.

Heh, the answer to the first question would be because the profile is accessed through some sort of internet thing, and we all know how the internet always gives you the wrong info ;).

But perhaps it's just semantics we're debating here - I mean, what it comes down to is that we're both saying the game Bengal is a different sort of beast than the Confed Handbook Bengal. I agree that it's quite logical for the new Bengal to be based to some degree on the old Bengal. I do, however, think it makes a lot more sense for them to be Bengal II rather than just plain Bengal. If you think about it, it's a lot less confusing to have two different classes of ships with similar design characteristics than a single class of ship which includes two similar but not identical types of ships.

Heh, the answer to the first question would be because the profile is accessed through some sort of internet thing, and we all know how the internet always gives you the wrong info .

Dash you, Joan's Ships of Known Space! For a reputable source of data, you're always freakishly out of date about Bengals!

But perhaps it's just semantics we're debating here - I mean, what it comes down to is that we're both saying the game Bengal is a different sort of beast than the Confed Handbook Bengal. I agree that it's quite logical for the new Bengal to be based to some degree on the old Bengal. I do, however, think it makes a lot more sense for them to be Bengal II rather than just plain Bengal. If you think about it, it's a lot less confusing to have two different classes of ships with similar design characteristics than a single class of ship which includes two similar but not identical types of ships.

Except for the fact that we already know there are two similar but not identical types of ships in the Bengal class, as noted in Claw Marks, so it wouldn't be a stretch to believe you could have three... And it isn't a different class if they call it the same thing... and we've never seen a number following the class name, and no distinction has ever been made when referencing a Bengal class ship... it's always just a Bengal, not a Bengal I, Bengal II or Bengal III.

The Confed Handbook is based on the Movie.......

The Movie in my opinion wasnt made to fit in the actual Wc games/books Timeline.So there is a confusion...

All these are known,just dont try to find a solution.There is not one....

Why should they bother to say about re-desinged Bengals...They dont care...their Bengal is the same with the game.

Back