Bearcat

Was the Bearcat finished at the same time as the BW? If the pacific war analogy extends as far to WC as it seems to, it might have been in production as early as 2670... it would also explain why we rarely saw any, and those we did tended to be plentiful...

If they didn't enter service until 2673 then it would seem logical that production started in 2670 or earlier even. There has to be time for testing and shake down of any new fighter concept.

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
If they didn't enter service until 2673 then it would seem logical that production started in 2670 or earlier even. There has to be time for testing and shake down of any new fighter concept.

... but *production* comes after *testing*. :)

The Bearcat was one of the few new fighters in WCIV i liked, i didn't like any of the BW's fighters, other than the Banshee. speaking of the bearcat, i know this has probably been covered here, but i can't believe it was missing from WCP and SO.

The Bearcat was an awesome fighter. An excellent balance of speed, maneuverability, armor, shields, and gun power. The missile armament was decent but the guns are what kept this baby from having the potential to be the best. Four tachyon guns.... two on each wingtip. This means that while the Bearcat has alot of punching power it's difficult to hit small, fast moving targets because of the slow refire rate and the slow speed of the energy bolts themselves. The spacing of the guns sometimes made it nearly impossible to hit anything smaller than a Hellcat V. But, in the hands of a talented pilot, the Bearcat is every bit a match for an Excalibur or a Dragon.

Originally posted by Colonel Hayden
The Bearcat was an awesome fighter. An excellent balance of speed, maneuverability, armor, shields, and gun power. The missile armament was decent but the guns are what kept this baby from having the potential to be the best. Four tachyon guns.... two on each wingtip. This means that while the Bearcat has alot of punching power it's difficult to hit small, fast moving targets because of the slow refire rate and the slow speed of the energy bolts themselves. The spacing of the guns sometimes made it nearly impossible to hit anything smaller than a Hellcat V. But, in the hands of a talented pilot, the Bearcat is every bit a match for an Excalibur or a Dragon.

Ummm...tachyons were slow? I'm not sure about that. Those were the most effective weapons in WC3-SO, and the bolts seemed among the quickest IMHO.

Tachyons go faster than light anyways :rolleyes: .

Tachyon particles go faster than light yes. But they have to be slowed down and grouped before they can be effective as a damaging energy. Even after being unleashed they don't move nearly as fast as standard lasers do. A reference to the nature of the tachyon gun can be found in the WC3 manual. The Tachyon gun being the most effective weapon is both a matter of fact as well as opinion. A tachyon gun is ,on the average, the most damaging weapon. It's the most effective weapon for damage. But other faster firing weapons that hit their target more often could end up being far more effective overall. I know I've killed more enemies with particle guns and ion cannons than I have with tachyon guns.

Light tachyons on the Bearcat, actually. ;)

And I hated the weapons placement. Fighting Arrows in a Bearcat often ended with me ramming the damn things to death... those guns just couldn't hit well enough, because the spacing was so wide. Grrr, if it had had a weapons placement like the Arrow..... it'd be practically perfect.

Best tactic with the Bearcat's guns is make sure that your guns are unsynchronised (only one pair fire at a time) and weave from side to side as you fire. You waste a fair bit of energy that way, but you'll get a good number of hits as well.

Best, Raptor

Tachyon Gun speed is greatly varied depending on version -- from being one of the slowest guns (1,250 kps - Privateer) to being one of the fastest (5,000 kps - WCP). For all your gun-comparison needs, go use the CIC's guns chart...

https://www.wcnews.com/articles/gunchart.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Colonel Hayden

I wouldn't call the Bearcat balanced, it was a super-fighter like the Excalibur and Dragon (though the Dragon is IMO the most powerful of them all). And I don't think that the light Tachyon guns were at a disadvantage in WC4 against small nimble targets. Only the gun placing made the Bearcat so unattractive (for me at least).

Any of you find the Bearcat a little TOO maneuverable to shoot straight with? In my experience, it was difficult to aim your guns for a target properly with the Bearcat turning in one direction so fast.

no, i though it handled well.
the Vampire took some time to get used to.
i was not good with the Vampire untill i got a stick with rudder controls, it was so much easier then.

Back