Beacon Mission in Prophecy

Kilroy

Spaceman
Does anybody know how to sucessfully complete this "find the beacon in the asteroid field"-mission in prophecy, shortly after Blair's kidnapping.

I always fly to Nav1, kill the bugs, fly to Nav2, where's nothing but Maniac telling me to go to Nav3, there I kill the bugs again and start to pass those minelike things until the computer says, that they are identified. And everytime I checked the third or fourth mine, I get a call from the communication officer that the CAG has ordered me to return to the midway and then the "mission failed" announcement comes. I really don't know, what to do. Any help?

It's luck. You have to find the right one b4 they call you back. I usually have to play it a couple of times b4 I get it. Try shooting at them when you get in range, if it takes damage it's not the right one. Move on to another.

Not so! Well, not entirely... The countdown timer for the end of the mission begins when the last enemy at nav 3 dies. So... send your wingman home and search for yourself using afterburner slides to outrun the pursuing enemies!(Holding down the Caps Lock key will shut off all thrusters, even the ones that slow you down) just speed your way from beacon to beacon until you spot it... then blast the final bogey and head home triumphant! ;)

I agree, it is a pointy one. And it's usually about 4-10 into them on my games. However, I think I might have found a way to cheat the system-I've tried it before, and it seemed to work, but I don't know if it was just the timer or not. If you think your starting to run out of time, just start clicking on com signals. (Taunts, status reports, help request, etc.) then the CAG can't cut through your communication if you keep hitting the keys, gives you more time. HOWEVER-I'd recommend turning off your sound for a bit on that one. :)

To make it faster, check only the 'mines' that look more like spikes, not the more rounder ones...the one you need is one that look like spikes...if you understand what i mean.;)
Also save your aft. to look for it at the end.

Originally posted by KillerWave
Also save your afterburner
Does anyone actually run out of fuel afterburning? Closest I come to running out is probably only in a hulk of a ship like the Devastator.

I just remembered that you're in a Panther for that mission. You should have next to infinite afterburner! :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Does anyone actually run out of fuel afterburning? Closest I come to running out is probably only in a hulk of a ship like the Devastator.

Once or twice in SO, but only in a devastator or a shrike...;)

After I finish off the enemies in the level, I start shooting the different transmitters. The one you want is invulnerable, so if a transmitter isn't being damaged, scan it.

I ran out of fuel in a fighter once. I was playing "The Unwelcome", the defend the Ella Superbase mission. That is the greatest mission ever...I love it.

[Edited by Nep Parth on 05-30-2001 at 14:47]

thanks a lot people

I've been unable to do this mission for weeks, so thanks for the info guys.

What I do is let Stiletto engage the enemy while I go off and look for the Jammer. I only engage the enemy when they directly attack me. As long as you don't kill off all of the enemy at the Nav Point, you won't be called back to the Midway. Like was said before, approach the spikey ones, and fore-go looking at the others.

I think I've ran out of afterburner, but that was on Nightmare at the last mission in Prophecy. After all, I use it in my fighting style a lot, and I just can't seem to run out of enemies there. :)

Originally posted by Kilroy
Does anybody know how to sucessfully complete this "find the beacon in the asteroid field"-mission in prophecy, shortly after Blair's kidnapping.

I always fly to Nav1, kill the bugs, fly to Nav2, where's nothing but Maniac telling me to go to Nav3, there I kill the bugs again and start to pass those minelike things until the computer says, that they are identified. And everytime I checked the third or fourth mine, I get a call from the communication officer that the CAG has ordered me to return to the midway and then the "mission failed" announcement comes. I really don't know, what to do. Any help?

'Nother way to do it: When you get to the last Nav
point, don't kill ALL the bugs. Leave two or three
MORAYS (NOT Mantas) alive. Then ignore them and
proceed to examine the different objects in the
field. You can move more efficiently if you use
the map: Lock on any target, Hit M, which freezes the game, right-click on a target, then exit the map.
The target you right-clicked on is selected. Fly
over to it and inspect. In this way you can efficiently
move through the belt.

After you've discovered the jammer, kill the rest
of the Morays and go home. Be sure to insult
Stiletto on the way home.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Hmm, I thought you meant Casey actually going on the comm and throwing an insult. Is she still his superior? It is his first mission in the Black Widows.

At that time Casey already gets pomoted to first lieutnant, isnt it? (im really asking...;)) If so, he and Stilleto are at the same level right?

Back