Battlestar Galactica

powell99 said:
*Blantant Asskissing alert*

LeHah, Master of the Universe, watcher of Deadwood, and suductor of Robot women.

How can you do it all?.

It's not hard to seduce Robot Women, you just get some creepy hacker to... you know... hack them.:p

We only hd 6-7 episode here in germany.
But for now i actually like BSG.
When i read first about it, and seen the previouse, my first tought where omfg Sex Robots what a bullshit, also changin male pilots with female on. And then the new Admiral. The i watched it, and i liked, because it was very dark, characters has there flaws (drinking XO for example, or what i really liked, when he order to open air locks, to extingiush the fire, and peeps died, most other series would blame him, but here, it was terrible, and that's it). I tried hard to overlooked the sex robots. Someone complained Starbuck would be to hardcore, instead of taking the peace offer from the XO, she said her opinion in a non nice way, i LIKED that, because everything else would be to artificial. And the episode i watched are full of such little things.

Well, just my two cent up to now,
Icefire

I was wondering, (since I forgot) that if the first episode of Battlestar was a TV movie? (I mean the ORIGANAL series.)

Bandit LOAF said:
Gentlemen, I beg to present you exactly my point about Battlestar Galactica fans.

I never said it did so particularly well or intellectually (although certainly in an entertaining manner) just that these are things are ideas which are being explored through a sci-fi environment. Much like cheesy shows such as the outer limits have done in the past just without having the point of the episode spelled out to you in a cheesy monologue at the end.
Its doing something which isn't being done by another show currently on and doing so rather well, its no shakespeare, nor is wing commander. If we were all concerned about the intellectual merits we'd probably not be watching any weekly sci-fi show, or playing wing commander for that matter.

LOAF you seem intent on ridiculing anyone who enjoys the fact that the show covers the human condition, its that which has made it so acceptable to the average person. Why does the simple fact that the show dares touch on these very common (and some would say essential) ideas seem to disgust you so? The enjoyment of the exploration of this ideas is certainly more easily explicable than why we enjoy listening to talk of the plasma injectors.

I don't know about Loaf, but i think the robot-sex thing is something extremely perverted that shouldn't even be found in the darkest pits of hentai pervertness. I have no desire to see the show.

Dyret said:
I don't know about Loaf, but i think the robot-sex thing is something extremely perverted that shouldn't even be found in the darkest pits of hentai pervertness. I have no desire to see the show.

Does that mean you've not actually seen it? You do realise that they're human form right? Infact thus far we've seen no evidence (other than strange red lights used for... I don't really have any clue, because they look cool, we've no reason to believe they're not nearly completely organic and based on human DNA).

I never said it did so particularly well or intellectually (although certainly in an entertaining manner) just that these are things are ideas which are being explored through a sci-fi environment. Much like cheesy shows such as the outer limits have done in the past just without having the point of the episode spelled out to you in a cheesy monologue at the end.
Its doing something which isn't being done by another show currently on and doing so rather well, its no shakespeare, nor is wing commander. If we were all concerned about the intellectual merits we'd probably not be watching any weekly sci-fi show, or playing wing commander for that matter.

LOAF you seem intent on ridiculing anyone who enjoys the fact that the show covers the human condition, its that which has made it so acceptable to the average person. Why does the simple fact that the show dares touch on these very common (and some would say essential) ideas seem to disgust you so? The enjoyment of the exploration of this ideas is certainly more easily explicable than why we enjoy listening to talk of the plasma injectors.

God, listen to yourself. 'Covers the human condition'? It does *NO SUCH THING*. You're reveling in specifically what makes the show generic -- the fact that it's a bunch of soap opera storylines. Did you not read the post where I explained this? Battlestar Galactica "explores" the 'human condition' in exactly the same way (and with less conherency than might) General Hospital or Melrose Place.

The problem isn't that it isn't intellectual... it's that people like you insist on believing that it's trying to be.

Read the post, found it thoroughly unconvincing. This isn't a soap opera, it isn't focused on what Ted does next, what happens next isn't nearly so important as what you believe should transpire. You have a group of people practically forming a society from scratch and its causing many of the viewers conciously or otherwise to consider what fundamental principles of society are important to them. Its intentionally created a large number of grey areas which have the audience coming up with different opinions. Its rather arrogant to think that just because you fail to respond to the show that there are is no merit to what the show is doing. Its not going into any depth but to do so would be to preach and I think this method of just touching on these ideas in this manner is far more effective at engaging the viewer.
Tell me what would be an exploration of the human condition? I mean other than confronting the core issues which currently divide so much of the worlds population? Maybe you're reading more into the statement than was intended.

I do find it rather ammusing that you'll continue to insist that I'm calling it intellectual when I specifically stated it was engrossing entertainment but that little that is churned out on a weekly basis is going to be able to say much more than that. If you believe there have been 26 episode yearly seasons which have consistantly taxed the neurons from other shows then we're undoubtedly approaching this from different viewpoints.

Bandit LOAF said:
The problem isn't that it isn't intellectual... it's that people like you insist on believing that it's trying to be.

Howdy. Not that I disagree with your assessment of the situation, that it’s not intellectual but some fans insist on perceiving it that way, but, really I wonder this: why is that such a problem to you? It’s pretty much the same dynamic you described on your lurking experience on the Dune newsgroup. Heck, even if someone here claims WC1 was high art you’d be happy to point out it’s a shallow story built around talking heads.

And I’m not saying it isn’t, but why does it bother you so much that some fans perceive the object of their admiration as more than it actually is? That behavior is oh so very common amongst fan-crowds.

It might be annoying, but it’s part of the human condition!

Pedro said:
Read the post, found it thoroughly unconvincing. This isn't a soap opera, it isn't focused on what Ted does next, what happens next isn't nearly so important as what you believe should transpire.

I think you need to re-examine what you define as a soap opera, my friend.

Delance said:
And I’m not saying it isn’t, but why does it bother you so much that some fans perceive the object of their admiration as more than it actually is? That behavior is oh so very common amongst fan-crowds.

Because it ruins science fiction. And it ruins it for us.

Gees, we're in a chat room!
BTW, it's not really a soap opera, like what LeHah said.

Read the post, found it thoroughly unconvincing. This isn't a soap opera, it isn't focused on what Ted does next, what happens next isn't nearly so important as what you believe should transpire. You have a group of people practically forming a society from scratch and its causing many of the viewers conciously or otherwise to consider what fundamental principles of society are important to them. Its intentionally created a large number of grey areas which have the audience coming up with different opinions. Its rather arrogant to think that just because you fail to respond to the show that there are is no merit to what the show is doing.

Yawn -- this is another way pseudointellectuals like to sell generic crap. It's the shades of gray, man! That's why it's so much better than what came before! Deep Space Nine isn't like Star Trek, it deals with *shades of gray*! Babylon 5 isn't like Deep Space Nine, everything isn't clear cut, it's all about *shades of gray*! Wing Commander IV isn't like the Kilrathi war games... it's all about *shades of gray*. Been there, seen that.

Like all these things, Battlestar Galactica is about as subtle as a tonne of bricks... even in a literal sense, the characters are by no means the "complex" objects marketing would like you to insist to everyone -- Captain Adama and Girl President always make up eventually, tough woman fighter pilot and pretty boy fighter pilot will always be the heroes in the end, evil drunk XO never will be (unless they decide to kill him, when he'll go out in an equally generic blaze of glory that makes us all *think*!).

Tell me what would be an exploration of the human condition? I mean other than confronting the core issues which currently divide so much of the worlds population? Maybe you're reading more into the statement than was intended.

Well, first of all, that's not even what the human condition is. That is, in fact, about as close to the *opposite* of the human condition as you can get. The human condition refers to eternal elements of human existence -- how we think about things together... stages of life, shared emotions, birth, death, that sort of thing. It's a term that means commonalities, things we all see as mysteries... not "core issues which currently divide the population". What happens when I die? Why do I understand things? Why do I fall in love? etc., are questions pertaining to the human condition.

I somewhat doubt that there has ever been a television show that 'explores the human condition', save that many television shows have humans who occasionally act like their real world counterparts. Insisting that a show deals with 'the human condition' is like saying it's about biology because it features live actors.

(That is to say -- DH Lawrence explores the human condition... Battlestar Galactica puts girls in skimpy tops to sell DVDs.)

Howdy. Not that I disagree with your assessment of the situation, that it’s not intellectual but some fans insist on perceiving it that way, but, really I wonder this: why is that such a problem to you? It’s pretty much the same dynamic you described on your lurking experience on the Dune newsgroup. Heck, even if someone here claims WC1 was high art you’d be happy to point out it’s a shallow story built around talking heads.

Well, the easy answer is that it's because I am an intellectual in my everyday life. I'm sure you become similarly annoyed when you see people loading pigs onto trucks backwards.

But seriously, the answer is what we already talked about -- it's the effect all this has on the general group. The sealing off, the creation of an even more strict boys only I'm-so-special club. Pretending Battlestar Galactica is intelligent is one thing... pretending Battlestar Galactica is intelligent and that this means we must spite everything else has hurt the future if the fandom.

Back