Bad memory

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
And the bugs harder than the Kilrathi? At least the Kilrathi ships had decent guns (ok, the Manta and Devil Rays are harder than Kilrathi ).

Yes, the Bugs ARE harder than Kilrathi, but only in Prophecy i.e. with the exception of the Kilrathi Corvette, the Prophecy Kilrathi are pathetic.

However, in WC1-3, the Kilrathi are more challenging than the Bugs in Prophecy.

And as for the uses of Maniac, I find that he is (at times) a perfect wingman on offensive missions. He's great against a horde of Vaktoth, because he'll just charge blindly in. Always pick on the ships on his tail, and you will not only get easy kills (your front guns against their tail guns is no contest), but you'll also keep Maniac alive (live bait works much better than no bait at all).

I think that even a Dralthi in WCP is more dangerous than a Skate, Lamprey, Stingray (single one), Ray or Moray since they all had superior offensive potential with no or virtually no advantage in speed or protection.
And I think a Vaktoth in WCP poses not much less of a threat than a Manta.

Oh and Zor: If you had said that the bugs were harder than the Kilrathi I'd have challenged you to fight to the death! :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I think that even a Dralthi in WCP is more dangerous than a Skate, Lamprey, Stingray (single one), Ray or Moray since they all had superior offensive potential with no or virtually no advantage in speed or protection.
And I think a Vaktoth in WCP poses not much less of a threat than a Manta.

Well, by the numbers in the ships database, the Vaktoth has about 25% more firepower than the Manta, but only 35% of the armor, less manouvreability and much worse acceleration. I find the Vaktoth MUCH easier to take down.

The same goes for a Dralthi/Moray comparison. The Dralthi has nearly twice the firepower, but only a quarter the armor. The Skate (cluster) has better firepower and armor, and when destroyed, you still have to deal with two more single Skates, which have nearly the same shields/armor as a Dralthi, and are significantly faster, smaller and more manouvreable, albeit with half the firepower of the Dralthi. I will grant that a Dralthi is superior to a Ray, but then again, what isn't?

To me, the Kilrathi in Prophecy are all decently armed, but far to light on the armor to be a serious threat. They just go boom far too quickly. I mean, even a Piranha has better shields/armor than a Vaktoth.

I'll take on a bunch of Prophecy bugs in preference to WC3 Kilrathi any day, but the Prophecy Kilrathi are a joke. But then, they're meant to be, considering the age of their ships.

Yes, on paper the Kilrathi's ridiculously thin armour make them too easy.
But this how I see it: It may take longer to shoot down a bug, due to its heavier armour but they can deal you virtually no damage (except the Manta) whereas the Kilrahi ships not only have stronger weapons but also a much higher refire rate due to their large gun pool and excellent recharge rate. So I say a dozen Dralthis is more dangerous than a dozen Morays, or a dozen Skates (singles) or a dozen Stingrays(single) or a dozen Lampreys (OK, only if the stupid AI doesn't only use the lasers but full guns). And as for the Vaktoth, I think the same applies when compared to the Manta, though not so extremely. The Manta has significantly more speed and protection, no doubt. But the Vaktoth's rear turret for example makes it much harder to shoot down with missiles.
I don't want to say that I find the Kilrathi hard to fight in WCP but not easier than most bugs rather more difficult.
Well, maybe you are just better at taking down Kilrathi than me and I fight the bugs more easily, it's only my opinion. I get higher kill scores in the simulator in the bug gauntlet than in the Kilrathi gauntlet.

Fair enough. We must fly/fight differently.

I tend to use full guns or fully charged mass drivers at close range, so with anything with a decent weapons loadout (basically anything but a Piranha) I can usually drop a Dralthi in 1-2 hits and a Vaktoth in 2-3, depending on the ship and difficulty. While I'm waiting for my gun to recharge I'm manouvring so I don't worry too much about the additional firepower of the Kilrathi ships. My Kilrathi gauntlet scores are usually very high (80+ at times).

I normally use guns. I just shot my enermies untill they blow up. I only use missile if I have to or if the fighter I'm chasing is becoming annoying.

I'm a gun fighter too, but I think missile become necessary in WC4. There's so many available in WCP/SO, it's a bit silly not to use them.

Back