Babylon 5

I'll dig out the book later and find the section and post it here, can read his own words on it.

Uhhhh... that's an extremely unlikely story. Hotel staff know better than to throw away anything that's not placed in rubbish bins, precisely to avoid the kind of situation described above. Throwing away the guests' property, that's like begging for a lawsuit.

Maybe the dog ate it.

Ok so I dug out Vol 11 and found the apprioate section.

JMS said:
...the hotel sent cleaning staff up to my room and, without telling me, packed up all of my stuff and moved it to another, smaller room. Those of you reading the preceding paragraph are probably thinking, so what's the big deal? Yeah, it was rude and unprofessional and the convention screwed up, but why mention it here, why make a fuss over it?

Oh, gentle reader. You have no idea.

You see, prior to getting started on year one of Babylon 5, I'd broken down every single season, episode by episode, onto 3x5 cards which I kept on a shelf in my office. Yes, the overall arc was in an encrypted file on my computer, but the details were all in the cards...because of the need to get as much material written as quickly as possible, I'd brought the cards with me to England...but when the staff moved my belongings from the small room I'd been given into an even tinier one, in their haste to clean the place out for a paying customer they threw out all of my notes on season five.

There are no polite words in the English language to describe my reaction upon returning to the hotel to discover what had happened. On what should have been the most triumphant weekend of my career as the executive producer of what MIT described as one of the three most seminal SF shows in American history, there I was, in the back of the hotel, tearing through plastic bags full of empty liquor bottles, disposable diapers, soiled clothes, used tampax, kotex, condoms, diaphragms and balled up clumps of tissue paper containing the remains of god only knows what horrors.

All of it...all of it...for nothing. The notes were gone.

You'd be even more cynical if you followed his Usenet postings - he has a similar excuse for pretty much everything people don't like about every project he works on.

That is why I always leave the "Do not disturb" sign on my hotel door whenever I leave my room, until I check out. :p

Let me see if I understand this:

The overall arc was in a file on a computer... in an encrypted file. But the details for each episode were on 3x5 notecards. 3x5 notecards that he took with him and placed in a position where a hotel cleaning crew could rummage through them?

He apparently kept said cards in a binder in his office on a shelf in plain view as well. No one ever thought to look in it though because they assumed it was on his computer.

LOAF I'll agree a lot of his intros for the script books are used to provide excuse why something when this way or that. His part on Claudia Christian's leaving the show comes to mind especially.

I'll tell you what, I actually liked Crusade, and I wished it didnt get dropped. I will say this: The music sucked something long and hard.

To be clear, I don't have anything against *Crusade* in so much as I do JMS-as-apologist. Crusade was just a little slow - so was Babylon 5 when it started (or ST:TNG or Enterprise or any number of other excellent shows). It could have gone on to be excellent, with some tweaking.

(I do own the DVD set)

I saw Babylon 5 when it aired in my country (argentina), i loved the series, but it was never repeated in my country, i really don't understand why, it is an amazing serie, and a lot of series are replayed in my country :mad:
I liked Crusade, it seemed to have a lot of argument, but somehow the script didn't take advantage of all the great ideas that kept "pending" (i don't know if that's the word).
And about the rangers movie, i first hear of it :eek:

Crusade should of gone one to be an exceptional series. The only problem I have with it is the awful music.

i just read that richard biggs (dr. stephen franklin) died, i didn't know that :(

Several original members of the B5 cast are no longer with us. It is sad as Franklin and G'Kar are such great characters. And how can they ever replace Zatharas?

Into the void they go....

Back