Babylon 5

Actually, a LOT of people watched (and liked) the BSG mini... er... two-part movie. It brough Sci-Fi some ultra-huge ratings. But I think the main thing that made Sci-Fi pop their corks was the fact that ratings went up in a big way between pt 1 and 2, which doesn't happen a lot in TV. Hopefully the series will be decent.

I just watched the all of SAAB. Not sure how to feel about it.

Hey, did anyone see the last B5 tv movie... Legend of the Rangers, or somesuch? Didn't that suck balls?

PeteyG said:
Hey, did anyone see the last B5 tv movie... Legend of the Rangers, or somesuch? Didn't that suck balls?

Kinda, the wepaons officer was like a slut.
Also the targetting system was pretty shitty....yeah give them punchs and kicks, lamest thing ever

yeah, Legend of the Rangers was ok except for that targetting system. I like the idea of overpowered, quick gunboats.

As for the targetting system; what happens if they are flying formation and the weapons officer sneezes?

I liked Babylon 5 alot, but Legend of the Rangers had really bad CGI, what happened?

Also, I think Space: Above and Beyond would have been cooler if there were more space battles. I remember most of the episodes where the Marine airwing of the carrier would deploy onto planets and fight ground infantry battles?!? Very few cool space battles and almost no capital ships to speak of.

I liked babylon 5, it was a good show, of course it had its share of bad episodes.....it would have probably done better ratings wise if it did not compete directly with DS9.
Legend of the Rangers was dumb lol, I watched it, thought the story was alright, it was just done wrong lol.

memories...

you guys touched on a lot of subjects...

The death of Richard Biggs (Dr Franklin) sucked ass... I have no idea how this might affect the new movie, but not having that charcater around is a major bummer.
Not to typcast people, but his was one of my favorite sci-fi doctor characters of all time. He had a great chemistry with the actor who played Marcus cole, I will miss their banter...

"I spy with my little eye, something that starts with M..." - Marcus

"let me guess... MORE BOXES!" - Franklin

That show was mostly Dark and it worked... The characeter developement was exceptional and it truly gave you the feeling of an immense cohesive storyline building to epic poportions.

On a smaller scale SAAB was a cool slugfest start to finish... It had a smaller feel but still a pretty good plot. There were only 24 episodes and many feel it was not finished. We wanted MORE... Plus if you recognise the black Xindi on Degra's ship on Enterprise it was Tucker Smallwood, the Commadore "Get those planes outta my sky!" Ross from SAAB!!! If you sometimes felt confused by the ground stuff remember. In their future it's only the Marines... Land Sea or Air they are the modern SEALS... Most of the action is in space, but if they need to secure a surface or an asteroid base or whatever they do their job. It's just that their most focused training for the Wildcards are as Aviators, but they are MARINES FIRST!

It's kinda cool they are expected to accomplish ANY mission. Kinda like when Rick Hunter commandeered a Destroid to face down some renagade Zentreadi that strolled into a city he was visiting. Sure he's an ace pilot, but as an RDF member he is expected to be cross trained in all pilotable mechas...

As a child of the 70's I think you got that statement backwards... Wing Commander is Galactica-esque.... Blue Squad came FIRST :D

BTW - One of the greatest moments in my life was when I got my Military Intelligence Branch pin. Only then did I realise it was the same emblem on the collars of the Colonial Warriors (they use two of them incorrectly) :cool:

My favourite space series of all time is Wing Commander. That's because it's not full of BS like all the other sci-fi that's around. I'd watch more other sci-fi if things like time-warps, holo-decks and holographic doctors, transporters and English-talking unknown aliens weren't thrown at me. The sci-fi series are often too immature, too fairy-tale like to really interest me.
B 5 had it's fun moments, until it went over the top in fourth season or so.

Why is everyone claiming B5 went over the top?
Its not filled with all the crap we see in Star trek.
Some of it, yes, but not all.
I think B5 was great, but the 5. seasons seemed to be there just to be there.

Agreed. Also B5 featured human characters with human emotions and responses. Not all of these emotions were the light jolly Star Trek ones. B5 had the characters struggle through darkness to find their inner strength. It was like Lord of the Rings in space. Excellent show!

The death of Richard Biggs (Dr Franklin) sucked ass... I have no idea how this might affect the new movie, but not having that charcater around is a major bummer.

It's certainly a shame, but I can't see it being too much of a problem for a potential movie - Babylon 5 has always had to work around actors leaving (Captain Sinclair, Ivanova, Lyta/Lyta 2, a mess of characters in the pilot, etc.)... and as great as Dr. Franklin was, he's not really essential to telling any sort of grander story.

Yeah I felt like he was best when he was with Marcus and once Marcus was gone, he was just your token doctor...and if you also notice the token black guy....

Dundradal said:
Yeah I felt like he was best when he was with Marcus and once Marcus was gone, he was just your token doctor...and if you also notice the token black guy....

And now hes the token dead guy. :(

Marcus was my favorite character. I probably would have liked Garibaldi in the last half of the shows run, but unfortunately, i missed to many episodes to get a decent scope of his character.

B5 movies scare me. The show maintained a great plot arch like no other (I own the 4th season DVD and should get the 3rd), but I always though the non-plot episodes were extra painful. The movies, aside from "In the Beginning" didn't connect to the story arch in a meaningful way and I found them quite disappointing.

Back