Australian TV

While we're on the topic of Australian TV, did anyone watch Seven news on New Year's Eve? I watched Southern Cross news before leaving for celebrations, and at the end they had like this wrap up of 2002. I assume that Seven would have had the same thing. Anyway, it was very doom and gloom. Did anyonw see that?

Originally posted by steampunk
And we're talking about ALL the Neighbours. It's all pure evil. And they keep spawning the purest of evil things, that's right, the female actor turned pop star ... and Jason Donovan.

It's not just Neighbours that Spawns Pop Stars, granted Neighbours has Spawned a lot, but most Soaps, be it from Oz or the UK Tend to spawn Singers. I mean Dannii Minogue was in Home and Away

There was actually a couple of Australian shows with the specific purpose of creating popstars. Young Talent Time, you may have heard of, where Kylie Minogue got her start I believe. My mother used to work for Channel Seven and she said how...shall we say stressful it used to be for YTT. Another show to create popstars was, well, called Popstars, and people would enter in the hopes to create something like a boy or girl band, along the lines of Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and such. Bardot and Scandelous were the product of Popstars.

Popstars is not limited to Australia. There are lots of those sorts of things in Europe, US. Needless to say they're all crap. The worst part is that theres not much of a blues/jazz/rock scene in Australia. Infact the first two are frankly non-existant at least here in sydney. So there's nowhere safe to run!

No jazz? Well I'mm pretty much okay with that. :)

Seriously, being a Sydney resident, there's something I want to ask you. Australia is in the grip of fear at the moment because of fires. Now a number of these fires are caused diliberately by arsonists and firebugs, who are simply looking for a cheap thrill. Considering the lives they put at risk, do you believe that arsonists should be shot? I personnaly consider it to be mass murder, and the punishment should fit such a crime.

Originally posted by Phillip Tanaka
No jazz? Well I'mm pretty much okay with that. :)

Seriously, being a Sydney resident, there's something I want to ask you. Australia is in the grip of fear at the moment because of fires. Now a number of these fires are caused diliberately by arsonists and firebugs, who are simply looking for a cheap thrill. Considering the lives they put at risk, do you believe that arsonists should be shot? I personnaly consider it to be mass murder, and the punishment should fit such a crime.
Well, I'd have no problem with life with out probation or the death penalty for adults.

For minors I'm not too sure. Cane em like they do in Singapore and a hefty dose of community service? Public humiliation?

I have often thought about public humiliation, such as having them wear jumpsuits stating they are criminals when they do community service. Something like that was done one or two hundred years ago, but was discontinued because it worked too well. I did think maybe the police farce could take away police service from hardcore cases, allowing for social justice.

I have often thought about public humiliation, such as having them wear jumpsuits stating they are criminals when they do community service. Something like that was done one or two hundred years ago, but was discontinued because it worked too well. justice.
Huh? Too well? Isn't that a good thing? And actaully its been done much more recently in a few places. Europe was it? Can't remeber.

Branden Reed lived in the same neighbourhood as mine. He knew my mother, and after hearing problems I had in school with bullying he would call me in sometimes to talk. He helped me out with bullying by giving me confidence, such as when I took up taekwondo for self defence he would say they'll leave me alone when they know that I can take care of myself in a fight. He's an interesting bloke.

Branden Reed lived in the same neighbourhood as mine. He knew my mother, and after hearing problems I had in school with bullying he would call me in sometimes to talk. He helped me out with bullying by giving me confidence, such as when I took up taekwondo for self defence he would say they'll leave me alone when they know that I can take care of myself in a fight. He's an interesting bloke.

How does your mother know him? Wow, almost 3 degrees from Chopper ... I say almost since I don't really know you in person. Heh. OK, who knows Kevin Bacon?

Good choice with taekwondo :) Not that I've ever done it. Have done Aikido once. Fun. But don't have the time right now or the moneyfor lessons. Archery saps both. Nobody bothers you when you carry a high-tech bow with carbon aluminium composite arrows either :)

In the past year in the Uk, almost 13 Different Bands/Singers have emerged from programs like Popstars

How does your mother know him?

Geez, I guess meeting him in the street. I've never met Chopper himself, but that may be a good thing. ;)

Good choice with taekwondo :) Not that I've ever done it. Have done Aikido once. Fun. But don't have the time right now or the moneyfor lessons. Archery saps both. Nobody bothers you when you carry a high-tech bow with carbon aluminium composite arrows either :)

Yeah, picked up a few good things there. But the instructor was mainly concerned with developing the black belts and such for the Olympics, not training for realistic street self defence. It was a sport there. These days I pick up anything I can get, like, say, Stone Cold Steve Austin's Stone Cold Stunner, which can be used on any day by anyone to anyone, and if hit right (not fake) can be a potentially lethal move. Or reading about how to carry yourself, how to walk, how to act, to prevent, or if need be take part in, aggression, from books such as Street Ninja and Rogue Warrior. Hey, don't laugh. This stuff works.

This stuff works.
Well, I think a lot of the martial arts would work, if people trained as though it wasn't a sport and had actual practice having to defend themselves. Once you start applying rules ... not so good.

Originally posted by TopGun
In the past year in the Uk, almost 13 Different Bands/Singers have emerged from programs like Popstars
[/B]
You're shitting me. 13?! They're like rabbits.

Australian TV = SHIT

Home and away and Neighbours have the same ridiculous storylines churned out every single year for nearly 20 years now with no sign of ever going away. Originality is obviously not on the adgenda.

Then there is ROVE live..... This is one of Australias top rating shows which is basically one long ad with a host who has no talent whatsoever. That stand up bit he does at the begining of the show is excruciatingly bad and all of which is Roves own material.....funny that.

Russle Coight's All Aussie adventures is THE WORST show ever concieved and whoever watches it and likes it obviously has no brain and should be killed immediately to keep the gene pool healthy .

Lets not forget Blue healers, Young lions, Water rats, All saints, White collar blue, Fast foward , Full Frontal, MDA and countless other unoriginal shows......hell even the News has bad production.

And im not even going to start talking about Aussie sitcoms cos most of it will have to edited out and i probably will be banned....

well I think Rove's little standup bit is supposed to be lame. It's certainly no worse than Dave Letterman's. Actually maybe it is ...

Back