Armada

i just need to get a joystick, a 56K modem and I'm all set

hmm... will a Microsoft Sidewinder II work with a Pentium MMX 200?

I use a joystick simply labled "The Talon". I like it as it lets me assign keyboard keys to the different switches located on the stick. Looks like a F-16's stick! It's worthless right now, though, Armada dosn't want to cooperate in anything but pure dos :mad: .

Originally posted by dacis2
i just need to get a joystick, a 56K modem and I'm all set

hmm... will a Microsoft Sidewinder II work with a Pentium MMX 200?

You don't need a joystick for Armada's strategy mode...

You don't need a joystick for Armada's strategy mode...
Yes, but, well let's face it; we play Wing Commander for the flying, not to push a few dots across the screen. However, I'm working on a way to get my copy of Armada to work in Win '95. I just need to get the game to recognize my EMS driver...

Your post was made in a time when we were talking about playing Armada via e-mail, which would require using the "Quick Combat" setting, ie no flying.

As for getting Armada to work, try Tech Support [recommend posting your system files]. Although Armada and Privateer are similar, I think Armada is slightly easier to get working than Privateer. And there's nothing wrong with pure DOS - it shouldn't be a problem for you since you have Win95, as opposed to Win2000/XP.

I know, I was just stating it's not quite the same. :( Oh, as for Privateer, what I did was download the entire Privateer CD to my computer and turned the sounds off, didn't load my mouse driver, and played it in pure DOS.

Originally posted by Templar

Yes, but, well let's face it; we play Wing Commander for the flying, not to push a few dots across the screen. However, I'm working on a way to get my copy of Armada to work in Win '95. I just need to get the game to recognize my EMS driver...

I play Wing Commander for Wing Commander.. Armada's a great Wing Commander game. Building fortresses armed with Wraiths and chasing down a carrier nine jump points to his core worlds is freakin awesome, even without the actual combat.

...what I did was download the entire Privateer CD to my computer and turned the sounds off, didn't load my mouse driver, and played it in pure DOS.
Download? You meant copy, right? In any case, you shouldn't have any problems with Armada, then.

Make sure that...

- You're using a PS/2 mouse. DOS doesn't know what a USB port is.
- Your BIOS is set to *recognize* that you're using a PS/2 mouse. Windows detects them even if the BIOS doesn't... but DOS doesn't.

be sure to tell us if you manage to do that.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Download? You meant copy, right? In any case, you shouldn't have any problems with Armada, then.

Download, copy, same difference. Unless of course, you're ::sharp violin blast:: PIRATING the software from the WEB!!!... (gasp!)...

:D

I was just pointing out that "copy" would be a better word to use, as in copying data from the CD to the HD, whereas "download" implies copying from a server on the Internet.

Not even in Privateer? It's always fun to let the pirates blast merchants while you pick up their cargo, then finish off the pirates yourself. :)

Okay, maybe in privateer. :)
On that subject, to stay friendly with the pirates, shoot down two merchants right off the bat at the start of the game (and don't kill pirates, but that goes without saying). Your relations with the Mercs will go down to hostile, shoot-up some cats and retros untill you are on neutral terms again. Kill another merchant, rinse and repeat. Do this untill you reach your fifth merchant, (by then you will be on friendly with the pirates.) One final peice of advice: never go into a full gale with your sails attater and your scuppers filled with chowder. ARRRG!

Well... you're the one who has a serial mouse and Armada... presumably you'd be the one who's trying to get it to work...

Back