Armada

modem and i think limited network is all the multi supports.
and in dos no less, if u can get dos drivers for ur nic, get them to work, and had a cable modem, u should be able to type in the ip of a friend on the internet and play online like that.

I think this is suppose to go to the Tech Support page.

I've got the same question about network DOS drivers. How do I configure them? I've never played Armada beyond the Split Screen.

Or alternately, LOAF pioneered the play by email Armada game. Just set spaceflight to quick combat and email savegames between each turn! No need to funk about with dos NIC and modem drivers. Of course you have to get Armada to run, which isn't the easiest cheese in the refrigerator.

Set up a machine with DOS 6.22 and a cheap external modem. The whole thing should cost you like $30. You can play it online via Kali DOS... if that still works.

I think I would in a couple weeks maybe.. I can use a floppy disk drive to transfer the saves from the 486 to my main computer between turns and DCC the file across IRC.. That'd be kinda neat.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Or alternately, LOAF pioneered the play by email Armada game. Just set spaceflight to quick combat and email savegames between each turn! No need to funk about with dos NIC and modem drivers. Of course you have to get Armada to run, which isn't the easiest cheese in the refrigerator.
Heh, and I thought you were only joking about this. That's a pretty cool idea, even if it probably means waiting ages between turns. Unless you organise a time to play simultaneously.

That would add a little realism to the game, though. Major campaigns like the ones that take place in Armada usually occur over a stretch of several days.

As a substitute for true netplay, I think it might have been an interesting idea to try, even if it didn't work out too well.

i'm going to try my hand at a paper version of Armada

using the data from the shiplist

I hope it is accurate....

The data from the ship list doesn't really have much (read: any) on the strategy part of Armada...

the weapons power and ship survivability combined with dices, a calculator and some other crap...

getting too complex

Yeah.. each "class level" of ship merely has a percentage chance of beating each opposing level in quick combat.

I'd be willing to take some of you guys up on your offers for a game of remote Armada, but I was foolish enough to leave my DOS machine behind when I moved out for the semester. I'll have to go home and grab it one of these weeks. Once I do that, I'll be happy to get a game going.

Back