Anyone good with dumbfires?

Viper61 said:
Hehe, our own personal Maniac. "Did I ever tell you about the time I . . . all in a Ferret!" :)

C-ya

Hey, I can't help it if I'm better than you ;)

Seriously, though, I was flying in an arrow once, and I was cruising along on ABs with a Vaktoth far behind me. I think I as in bad shape. Anyway, I don't remember why, but I got the idea to drop a string of decoys in his face when he got perfectly aft of me. So, I dropped one and waited until he came between it and me. Then, I unloaded the rest of my decoys into his front quarter. I forget how many it took, but it ended up killing him. Try it, it works.

And, Viper, if I'd been in a Ferret, I wouldn't have been in bad shape to begin with. :cool:

A nice thing on WCP is that you must use all kind of missiles, not just IRs. Too bad only weak ships carry those.

WC4 was fun, because some slots would only receive either a HS or a DF. That forces the player not to use just the IRs and gives gameplay more varierty.

Actually, the thing I like most about missiles in WCP is shooting off zillions and zillions of them, resulting in alien ships blowing up all around you. Then you can mop up the survivors with guns. Classic. The missile trails really help in that feeling of raining death on the bugs, too.

Yeah the missile carrying technology is a lot better on WCP. A big evolution from WC1 times. Smaller missiles or larger ships?

Delance said:
Yeah the missile carrying technology is a lot better on WCP. A big evolution from WC1 times. Smaller missiles or larger ships?

The ships aren't much bigger, if at all - the Vampire carries 20 missiles and 48 decoys, while only being 18.33 meters long, which is a bit over half the Thunderbolt's length while carrying twice as many missiles (not counting rocket-pod Dragonflies in SO). I'd say that the increase in missile capacity comes with the miniaturization of many ship components, allowing an expansion of internal storage bays, plus the specialization of fighters having removed what would be now-extraneous systems.

Haesslich said:
The ships aren't much bigger, if at all - the Vampire carries 20 missiles and 48 decoys, while only being 18.33 meters long, which is a bit over half the Thunderbolt's length while carrying twice as many missiles (not counting rocket-pod Dragonflies in SO). I'd say that the increase in missile capacity comes with the miniaturization of many ship components, allowing an expansion of internal storage bays, plus the specialization of fighters having removed what would be now-extraneous systems.

Miniaturization of components would also mean... SMALLER MISSILES.

The specialization of fighters doesn't cut it, because the very same vampire is used as a fighter bomber on WCSO. It didn't require a lot of change, just a different loadout.

Perhaps they have more storage space, but I don't think that's the only reason. It doesn't make much sense to think that WCP ships are just bulky empty hulls full of very large WC1-sized missles. The Dragon is almost as big a capship and carry less missiles the Vampire.

EDIT: Lets not forget the real reason: Origin wanted to use their new game engine to have larger battles, with lots of aliens and lots of missiles to fire at them. :cool:

Well, yeah, you can say they had more missiles because they had more bugs, but wouldn't it be more challenging, and maybe fun, if you had to gun down all the bugs, and make the missiles more precious? I don't think, as a gameplay decision, it's clear cut. Of course, I suppose it's more dramatic.

Delance said:
Miniaturization of components would also mean... SMALLER MISSILES.

The specialization of fighters doesn't cut it, because the very same vampire is used as a fighter bomber on WCSO. It didn't require a lot of change, just a different loadout.

Perhaps they have more storage space, but I don't think that's the only reason. It doesn't make much sense to think that WCP ships are just bulky empty hulls full of very large WC1-sized missles. The Dragon is almost as big a capship and carry less missiles the Vampire.

EDIT: Lets not forget the real reason: Origin wanted to use their new game engine to have larger battles, with lots of aliens and lots of missiles to fire at them. :cool:

They may have more storage space inside, but I'd say that if they've been able to shrink things like life support systems, shield generators, etc - that'd give you enough room in the belly to stuff your missiles into. The decoys HAVE to be smaller though - 48 inside a little Vampire is far more than we'd be given to expect from a WC3-4 era craft. Whether all missiles are smaller, or if it's just that they've shrunk some is another question.

However, the original WC blueprints do list Dumbfires as 2.6m long, and IR missiles as 2m long...

the missiles also look VERY different. They are NOT very aerodinamic, too.

Anyways, WC1 missile pictures in the blueprints looked like they were drawn in a napkin while having lunch. I liked that look.

In WC:UE I can get 4 Salthi on the third mission with dumbfires head on and at long range. Just change course a few degrees and they don't shoot the DF when they range you.

actually youd think that mounting the thrusters on the end of the moving wings on a missile would give it insane turning, at a reduced capacity...

*gets more ideas for WCPEdit and is glad his home computer should be working tonight*

Aerodynamic ships and missiles look better on space. They don't need to, but it's just one of those things...

Kilrathi ships don't need to be asymmetrical or claw-like threatening from a technical point of view.

Yeah, although in space there is no need for aerodynamic fighters/missiles or capships can you imagine how funny looking if everything was just squares. A big capship square being attacked by small fighter squares firing tiny missile squares at it? It'd look like Tetris on Steroids!

Back