Anyone good with dumbfires?

I can't say I have good luck with dumbfires, but I have had good luck getting dumb people fired.

I was able to hit a salthi with a dumbfire once. I felt like God for the two seconds the ship was exploding. Outside of that, I can't hit anything but a capship.

I've been able to hit enemy fighters with dumbfires. It really depends on the game you're playing.

Actually, I'm under the impression that on WC1 the DF would fire more or less on the direction of the enemy fighter you was targeting, not necessarly straight ahead. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

As I found out again recently, if you want to take a Gladius out for a spin in Armada, you had better be really good with DF's.

C-ya

Last edited by a moderator:
I often load my fighters full of DF missiles when I have the choice (WC3, WC4). When I bother to fire a missile it should better be worth it (aka definitely kill the enemy). As I usually fire at point black I really don't bother they are unguided.

I'm good for taking Dumbfires against Corvettes and the like.. small torpedoes. Otherwise it's all IR.

A frontal dumbfire is like a slap in the face. Not only does is most certainly sting, it's also quite an insult.

In wcp, I am 99% accurate with dumbfires. The trick there is patience. In wc3 & 4, I'm about 45% accurate. Though, once, in wc3, Vaquero was RTB, and a Vaktoth was hot on his tail. So, I lined up on V and toggled my dumbfires and waited. Sure enough, about five seconds later, that Vaktoth was directly between me and V, so I sent a rocket his way. Crispy Kitty Critter Litter.

Then there was that time I killed a Vaktoth with decoys, but that's a different story (it takes quite a few, but it actually works)

I really liked those DF small rockets in WCP, they were a joy to fire, almost like super MDs.
I generally avoided DFs, took some IRs along whenever I could.

I couldn't hit anything in WC1 and 2 with a DF (except Capships), and unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to really play 3 and 4, but I'm quite good with DF's on Prophecy. I'm more of a precise shooter than a spread shooter, which is probably why I like Charging Mass and DF's (not to mention they do a whole crapload of damage).

overmortal said:
Then there was that time I killed a Vaktoth with decoys, but that's a different story (it takes quite a few, but it actually works)
Hehe, our own personal Maniac. "Did I ever tell you about the time I . . . all in a Ferret!" :)

C-ya

I used Dumbfires alot when they were available in WCP and SO. It seemed more easily to aim them in this games. In the other ones I only used them against capships since they were easy to hit.

Back