Any thoughts on New ships for UE2

Hey, I think the Particle Cannon is a great gun. It's just as energy efficient as the Laser, hits with two and a half times as much damage, and has almost as good a range and refire rate!

As for UE fighters, the Rapier IV appears to fill the medium/heavy slot, and will rank somewhere between the Tigershark and the Panther in power. We will need a bomber, but whether we will see a slightly upgraded Vindicator, or a new bomber, is still up in the air.

As for the light/medium slot, the upgraded Banshee would be great except for one thing: its Lasers are too weak by themselves to kill anything heavier than a Moray, and the other weapons were increased excessively to compensate. The Banshee in UE1 had four Lasers, 400 Heavy Stormfire rounds, and 8 HS/4 IR/2 DF/2 HARM missiles (total 16 missiles!). However, once the missiles and Stormfire ammo run out, the Banshee becomes useless. It would be better for it to have 2 Laser/2 Ion, and drop the Stormfire cannons instead.

Ijuin said:
We will need a bomber, but whether we will see a slightly upgraded Vindicator, or a new bomber, is still up in the air.
Actually, that's probably the wrong way to put it, given that the new bomber would not be filling the same role as the Vindicator.

However, once the missiles and Stormfire ammo run out, the Banshee becomes useless. It would be better for it to have 2 Laser/2 Ion, and drop the Stormfire cannons instead.
The Banshee's seen plenty of upgrades in the decade since WC4 (and probably in the decade or two before it, since we don't actually know how old the Banshee really is), and will not be getting another upgrade... well, ever :p. The way I see it, the Border Worlds is only planning to upgrade old fighters as long as necessary, so once new fighters go into production, Scims and Banshees will disappear. Museums are probably already lining up to buy up the remaining Scims ;).

Now that makes sense.

It is about time the Border Worlds got some real fire power. Plus, the should have a decent enough infrastructure to sustain construction of some newer ships.
P.S. Why soes the Rapier IV look like the Rapier II?

Quarto said:
Actually, that's probably the wrong way to put it, given that the new bomber would not be filling the same role as the Vindicator.

Hmm....i sent the sketch of a fighter to Eder sometime ago wich looked a bit like a wc1/2 style vindicator, the scan quality is bad, but i think it would make an interesting looking bomber.. :p

BattleDog said:
I still think that Vindicators and Banshees are probably prolific like Hellcats and Tigersharks.
I doubt they're quite that prolific, but it's besides the point anyway. The BW forces are still highly irregular. You've got Ferrets and Scims flying in one place, and Bearcats in another. Who knows, there may have even been a whole squadron of Banshees on the Dauntless in the past - but Daniels' squadron had just two. And it just so happens that Banshees will not be among the reinforcements arriving on the Dauntless.

Iceblade said:
P.S. Why soes the Rapier IV look like the Rapier II?
Well, as far as an in-universe explanation goes, maybe one of its designers worked on the Rapier II thirty years earlier, I dunno :p. The real-world answer, though, is that it is the Rapier II - take a look at the SWC version of the Rapier.

KillerWave said:
Hmm....i sent the sketch of a fighter to Eder sometime ago wich looked a bit like a wc1/2 style vindicator, the scan quality is bad, but i think it would make an interesting looking bomber.. :p
Yeah, I vaguely recall that. I don't know whether Eder's doing anything with it or not. But then again, Eder probably doesn't know either, since we don't currently consider UE2 fighters to be any sort of high priority :p.

Quarto said:
I doubt they're quite that prolific, but it's besides the point anyway. The BW forces are still highly irregular. You've got Ferrets and Scims flying in one place, and Bearcats in another. Who knows, there may have even been a whole squadron of Banshees on the Dauntless in the past - but Daniels' squadron had just two. And it just so happens that Banshees will not be among the reinforcements arriving on the Dauntless.

In that case, it looks like we will be having mainly all-new fighters for UE2 (counting the Rapier IV as "new" since we don't fly it even in the simulator in UE1). That still leaves open the need for a light fighter and a bomber, though.

Ijuin said:
In that case, it looks like we will be having mainly all-new fighters for UE2 (counting the Rapier IV as "new" since we don't fly it even in the simulator in UE1). That still leaves open the need for a light fighter and a bomber, though.
Well, you'll certainly still get to fly the Epee and the Scim - in both cases, for the final time; if there is a UE3 (which is a big 'if', given that UE2 isn't even started), neither of those fighters will play a role in it. I don't know what willl be happening with the Kilrathi fighters - the K'ha'haf is too neato to pass up, but the Gratha is a wait-and-see.
A new BW light fighter? Yeah, that's a safe bet, I'd say.

New as in new design or new as in new to UE?

Personnally I think a slower Ferret would be a good idea. Slow it down so the afterburner lasts longer.

New design, new to UE, and new to the universe - so no, Razor fans, it ain't gonna happen :p.

The Ferret has a limited fuel supply, because it's not designed for stamina. It's not actually supposed to get into prolonged fights.

If you slow the Ferret down its fuel will last longer. I still don't get it though, its a patrol fighter, so why the tiny tank.

Preacher said:
Man, I'm gettin' tired of all this talk.
How's about y'all start posting some pics, pronto?!...
We''ll post pics when we're good and ready :p. I don't want to give anybody the false impression that we're making enough progress to resume regular news updates, because it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy thingy - if I start posting screenshots and stuff, I'll want to ensure that there's enough progress to keep such updates coming regularly (news generates progress which generates news, which generates progress... hmm).
Progress is good, though, so why don't I want to do that? Because between Standoff, UE2, and my master's thesis, I wouldn't merely have no time - I'd have a negative amount of time :).

BattleDog said:
If you slow the Ferret down its fuel will last longer. I still don't get it though, its a patrol fighter, so why the tiny tank.
What makes you think there's a relationship between the Ferret's speed and its fuel consumption, anyway? Why the tiny tank? Have you seen a Ferret lately? There isn't any room for a larger tank :). Why would it need more fuel, anyway? It's only flying on afterburners that causes a significant decrease in fuel (normal flight, presumably, is counterbalanced by the fuel scoops). And unless the Ferret gets into combat - which it's not supposed to - it won't be using its afterburners very much.

I'm hoping that you upgrade the Banshee a little....and maybe just let the Dragon make a cameo...running into an empty one in an asteroid field would be nice.....

just let the Dragon make a cameo...running into an empty one in an asteroid field would be nice.....
I find that unlikely, they have already mentioned in another thread that they are against it. :( What a pity. :(

Yeah, the Rapier IV, which is the UBW's new cutting-edge fighter, is supposed to be somewhere between the Tigershark and the Panther in terms of capabilities. UE2 does need a bomber though, since it has been implied that the heavy Avenger will not be available, nor will the Longbow, Broadsword, or Gratha.

Back