Antimatter Guns

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I was just curious about this one because we don't really see them in Standoff, capships just duke it out with Flak. Not criticizing, just if there was a reason they were left out. Like perhaps either the heavy mass driver or plasma cannon could have been a stand in for one of those when capships started duking it out, add the Friendly fire equation in a little more.

I think flak just tends to be that which is noticed the most because of its range. The other turreted weapons have a much shorter range so you may not notice them as often. But they are there. Just hang around the Hakaga for a while and you'll see all the pretty colors slamming into your ship :D

You're right, we chose to use torpedoes for capship battles. There's a reason for that - and like all good reasons, it was valid when we dealt with this issue, and is no longer valid now :p.

We won't redo any of the existing capship battles, but you may yet see AMG guns out there, when you least expect them... :p

You're right, we chose to use torpedoes for capship battles. There's a reason for that - and like all good reasons, it was valid when we dealt with this issue, and is no longer valid now :p.

We won't redo any of the existing capship battles, but you may yet see AMG guns out there, when you least expect them... :p

Nice! And the PTC? Do we get to see that thing smite a capship?

Do you see the PTC? Boy, do you ever...

...Well, no.

Of course, if we did have the PTC in there, I'd probably still say "no". And then I'd add this explanation, in order to confuse the heck out of you and make you think the "no" actually means "yes" :p.

Well IIRC the PTC had been deactivated by the Battle of Terra, the thing had a habit of blowing up the ship when it was fired.

Well IIRC the PTC had been deactivated by the Battle of Terra, the thing had a habit of blowing up the ship when it was fired.

There's actually no known case of a Confederation ship blowing up when its PTC was fired. The Kilrathi Saga manual says "problems" caused it to be "retired" in 2665, but we see it successfully fired many times in WC2 after this point. There's one cutscene where they do stress out about it possibly blow up the ship, but that's also connected to Tolwyn's demands to fire the weapon prematurely in the heat of battle.

There's actually no known case of a Confederation ship blowing up when its PTC was fired. The Kilrathi Saga manual says "problems" caused it to be "retired" in 2665, but we see it successfully fired many times in WC2 after this point. There's one cutscene where they do stress out about it possibly blow up the ship, but that's also connected to Tolwyn's demands to fire the weapon prematurely in the heat of battle.

Those "Problems" as far as we know could have been tech problems as well. The PTC was a refinement of Kilrathi tech, so for all we know, parts for it when they burned out may not have been readily available.

... also, how many ships actually came equipped with a PTC, as far as I knew Confed class were the only ones that had them, and there were only a handful of this ships commissioned... and it didn't sound like many survived long. Were there any left post-war? Or into the Nephilium years?

Were there any left post-war? Or into the Nephilium years?

Quoting LOAF (answering the very same question from you, over a year ago):
Bandit LOAF said:
We never see any others (except for possibly CVS-14, on the WC2 box)... but there may be a few others. The Kilrathi Saga manual says that "Continual problems with the phase-transit cannon led to its retirement in late 2665." Since we see them in operation in 2667, it's likely that this refers to a retirement in *production*... meaning that as many as several Confederation-class ships could have been built between the Concordia (2661) and the retirement of the weapon that formed their keel.

Uh... heheh. great.

"Did that thing just shoot neutron guns at me?"

"Oh. Those weren't neutron guns..."

Also, people - no 'u' in Nephilim. I don't know why this one is so hard to get straight... unlike Kilrathi, Dralthi, Firekkan, etc. it's a real word.

Great... in other words I'll be doing a fly by on one of my own ships and suddenly the cruiser will let loose with a barrage of AMG fire and I'll collide with one of the blasts. Same way I noticed the heavy plasma gun on the Cerberus!

Funny. This was exactly my reaction the first time I ran up against AMG's in WC2...

I said the same thing about the PTC... then i saw it getting larger... and take out a capship all by itself. I'm like, "Staying away from the bow of the Concordia now...":D

I always had a morbid desire to see if I could throw myself in front of a PTC blast, just to see what happened... I don't think I ever managed it, though.

I always had a morbid desire to see if I could throw myself in front of a PTC blast, just to see what happened... I don't think I ever managed it, though.

I was trying to go after the cruiser, then I remembered, OH **** no torpedoes! Then suddenly the odd sound of an energy build up, and this big particle comes flying toward me.

So do you guys suppose that the AMG and PTC after improvements became the guns we now see on the Cerberus and Plunkett.

Funny. This was exactly my reaction the first time I ran up against AMG's in WC2...

I said the same thing about the PTC... then i saw it getting larger... and take out a capship all by itself. I'm like, "Staying away from the bow of the Concordia now...":D

Indeed...my first intro to AMGs was flying a ferret in the first WC2 system and hitting a big neutron blast, which promptly vaporized me and left me scratching what was left of my head.

Then I saw a big purplish blob go hurtling out of concordia and hit a fralthra...kablooey! Let me tell you, I reloaded that mission about six more times so I could actually see it happen again ;-)

So do you guys suppose that the AMG and PTC after improvements became the guns we now see on the Cerberus and Plunkett.

I was under the impression that was refined Nephilum technology. In the same vein as the one-use plasma weapon the Midway used to wipe out the advance Nephilum fleet, but just refined a bit (and obviously less powerful). Secret Ops introduced a whole host of new Confed weapons technology that was theoretically made possible by inspirations gained by studying Nephilum tech from Prophecy. (The LRIR and Tracker MIRV I think are explicitly stated as being derived from Nephilum tech, and isn't the Dust Cannon as well?)

Back