Annoying Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by Ghost
You can´t

You mean you have to be Jewish to invoke Godwin's Law?

Oh, then never mind.
Either way, Bandit called it.

-Concordia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by Concordia
You mean you have to be Jewish to invoke Godwin's Law?

Oh, then never mind.
Either way, Bandit called it.

-Concordia

Ghost looks at Concordia.
Who is the little one, a pet perhaps? Will she deserve my special attentions?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

I also would have to, in these circumstances Invoke Godwin's Law.

I'll assume, at this point, that you have no clue at all what you're talking about...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by TC
Dash it Quarto, you made us lose :(
D'oh :(.

Actually, I don't really care. I'll wear a star of David, I'll wear a christian cross, I'll even wear a muslim-crescent if it floats your boat. I'm not particularly fond of the third one because muslims are associated with bad-guys. I'm not anti-muslim, but I do not want to be associated with them.
So, you don't care, but... you do care? That does about conclude it, I guess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by TC
I'll assume, at this point, that you have no clue at all what you're talking about...

Godwin's Law: In a discussion forum, particularly in a debate, if you bring up anything relating to Nazi's or particularly compare a person to a Nazi, you automatically lose the argument.

-Concordia

You realise then, that what you said made no sense in the context of the rest of your post?

Though I'm not in the habit of agreeing with people like Concordia, and I wouldn't leap at the chance to call what I'm about to do "agreeing," since he's a fool, I believe the record needs to be set straight as far as what's been said here regarding the Constitution of the United States of America.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that Church and State, as entities, must be in any way separate, nor does it outlaw the acknowledgement of God as a concept included in any official documents (such as money) or in anything such as the pledge of allegiance.

Where most people get the misconception that such a thing exists at all is from a letter written by President Thomas Jefferson in reply to a letter sent him by the Danbury Baptist Association in 1801. He wrote:
by: Thomas Jefferson
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God; that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship; that the legislative powers of the government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State.
The concept of a "wall" separating Church and State is purely derived from Thomas Jefferson's personal interpretation of the Constitution (an interpretation which wasn't exactly strict by the standards of the day, as evidenced by the Louisiana Purchase,) which is no more valid than any other.

The Constitutional passage in question is the First Amendment:
From the Constitution:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
This amendment covers a lot of ground, but what we'll focus on is the first condition, which prohibits the Federal Congress from lawfully establishing an official national religion. It does not, in any way, outlaw the inclusion of religious phrases such as "In God We Trust," or "...under God," from official discussion or official property.

What amazes me are all the supposedly normal and tolerant people who suddenly emerged to defend that silly ruling by the 9th Circuit Court, and then to bitch and moan when it was overturned by the Supreme Court of the Nation. Even more amazing is the number of foreigners with opinions on the subject.

The inclusion of "...under God," in the Pledge of Allegiance is not in any way harmful or oppressive. God, as a concept, is not owned by Christianity, and its use in the Pledge does not imply any official endorsement of Christianity. Those offended by its inclusion in the Pledge could stand to learn a little tolerance, to ease their bigotry.

Originally posted by Frosty
The Constitutional passage in question is the First Amendment:This amendment covers a lot of ground, but what we'll focus on is the first condition, which prohibits the Federal Congress from lawfully establishing an official national religion. It does not, in any way, outlaw the inclusion of religious phrases such as "In God We Trust," or "...under God," from official discussion or official property.

I will, of course, point out that this is not the only interpretation of this clause.

...Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

The problem with your interpretation is that it doesn't take into account the full statement. If it were speaking of that state establishing a religion, the 'free exercise thereof' would also refer to this state established religion. Instead, the clause is saying that congress can not make laws with respect to an establishment (noun, not verb) of religion.

One could probably argue that the pledge is unconstitutional under article 6 section 3 of your constitution if they wanted to, assuming one needs to pledge allegiance to take public office. I'm pretty lazy though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back