Annoying Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
There are some things that just really annoy me to NO end.

Okay, I was driving with a friend and he always criticizes bad drivers and this guy drives even worse than them. My god, the guy's swerving in and out of traffic at like 80 miles an hour even swerving in front of TRACTOR-TRAILERS!!! I wonder if this idiot even realizes that's how Jacknives and accidents occur. And it's not like he's 17, he's probably around 30.

Also, I was watching this movie called "Dangerous Beauty". I find it irritating that they always portray movies which take place in 1500's Italy with British Actors speaking in English Accents? I figured these guys would sound like, I don't know, Italians! I find stuff like this so irritating. At least TRY to sound like an Italian, do a f-cking Godfather impression even. It'd sound a lot better, I'll tell you that. Either way, the main character is a Courtesan, that's a fancy word for prostitute, aka, hooker, whore, etc. It does sound cooler than saying "I'm a whore for the rich!". In either case she's basically telling these women, all of them married where their husbands are (she's slept with all of them) and one woman asks them why their husbands keep coming back, she takes out a banana and says "the latin word for banana is Ariena, the tree is Pala", peels it and completely swallows the whole thing (looked like a body-double, face didn't match in certain segments). Then she tells them that the most hard won asset for a woman is an education... err, that's true, in fact VERY true, but the message she gave them was "The most hard won asset for a woman is a deep-throat". She should have just said "this" and then proceeded. Spare me the f-cking latin lessons. You know, I can envision some guy buying the DVD just for that one scene :rolleyes: (I'm surrounded by undersexed womanizers.)

Well she gets booted out of the house (Guess they were jealous) and one of the women asks Veronica Franko (the main-character) to make her daughter into a courtesan when she reaches adult-hood! Yikes, that's like saying "Make my daughter a whore".

Oh, she gets accused for witchcraft as well. Basically this guy wanted to f-ck her and couldn't afford her price, he was a bit disgruntled, went to the church; and brought the whole f-cking inquisition down on her. Plagues were hitting Venice at the same time and the Roman Catholic Church was claiming that it was Holy Retribution for living in sin (The Courtesan's fault of course)... although there probably was some basis to the courtesans spreading the plagues-- not by divine retribution but by the fact that prostitutes are known to spread diseases (they didn't know that back then)... She manages to get off, but c'mon Seduction is witchcraft? Damn, then I can be a witch by putting on a really short skin-tight dress? :D

Sometimes the things the President does just irritates the sh-t out of me, George W. Bush is just angling for a war. He wants a war, and he is not going to stop until he gets one. He's angry that Saddam tried to kill his Daddy, and I guess I can see how he's pissed, but do we need a literal declaration of war? We can attack them without a declaration if we want. The reason I see that he's doing this is to basically give himself more power, and curb civil-liberties. Hey, in peacetime the President has all these limitations imposed on him, but it wartime, he can do pretty much whatever he wants. In wartime you are limited in your right to criticize the government, freedom of the press is curtailed, and you can also be arrested without warrant. I feel honestly he's doing what Adolf Hitler did in '33 or '34 when the Reichstag got burned down, he used that as an excuse to demand more power to combat the problem (which in this case, he claimed it was the jews), once he got the power, he severely curtailed freedom, got rid of the democracy and made himself dictator. I wonder if Bush is trying to pull a Dolfie on us...

People are so paranoid after 9/11, that they just want to feel safe even if it means to give up all their freedom, never thinking that if they sacrifice their freedom, they'd essentially defeat the one great thing about America-- Freedom. I said it when Bush got elected, that he'd plunge the whole country into chaos, and maybe I was right-- I was just about to change my mind before 9/11. There's always going to be risks of a terror attack, I'm not willing to sacrifice all my freedom just to be safe from one. There's also a risk of getting hit by a car, but I still drive to work anyway. The airport-security measures simply give baggage-screeners more right to harrass you (they won't even let you bring a nail-clipper onboard, I talked to this Captain who said that they wouldn't let him bring one onboard, sheesh).

The Patriot Act is downright scary, it gives the government the right to imprison a person suspected of terrorism indefinetly, without trial, and even without council. That is just scary. I could even see why you'd want to hold them, even indefinetly-- but without council? The only reason I can see for that is so that the government can abuse their power. No other reason. The best argument is "why should we give terrorists a lawyer?" Uhm, I always thought that you were presumed innocent until proven guilty? I understand why you'd hold them in this case until you were certain they were innocent because they pose such a grave danger, but I think they should be given right to council-- that is a constitutional right, and remember, some people imprisoned may not be terrorists, they are suspected. I'm not saying I sympathize with them; I think what they did was reprehensable but let's not shred the constitution quite yet shall we? This is even more ironic because that guy Zacharias Moussaoui, who we know is a terrorist, and even PLEGED ALLEGIANCE TO OSAMA BIN LADEN IN *OPEN COURT* is given a FULL-BLOWN TRIAL.

This was an oldie, but a goodie... That Sacramento Atheist who made the Pledge Unconstitutional? His name was Doctor Michael A. Newdow, and he basically got in a bend because he's an atheist and he basically believes everyone else should be.

His daughter wanted to know the meaning of the pledge and he got all bent out of shape about it. It's not like she was an atheist too-- she, in fact, was a practicing Christian. It wasn't even good enough for Newdow that a 1943-44 Supreme Court Ruling said you didn't even HAVE to say the pledge if you didn't want to. He basically went to court claiming that the pledge was unconstitutional because the word God was mentioned in the Pledge. Who cares? True it wasn't there initially, but that's beside the point, we also say "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?" And you don't have to have the "So help you God" part in if you don't want-- yet that still remains part of the oath. He also filed a lawsuit against the President because of some referrences to God (which there were quite a few) actually, it was thrown out though. I guess it was only a matter of time before he'd get lucky-- throw enough sh-t at a wall and some's gonna stick. He's now filing a suit to have Chaplains removed from government. He's not gonna be happy until he has religion completely eradicated.

I'm not very religious, but I feel that if you want to believe, you're free to, and if you don't, you don't have to, but don't tell me I can't believe, or I have to. 93% of americans are religious and only 7% aren't. I always thought this was majority rules, not minority? Also, if you don't even HAVE to say the pledge, why should it be removed? We don't remove the Oath in court, because you don't HAVE to say "God". I feel that if enough steam picks up, atheists like Michael Newdow, would turn into the Catholics of the 6th to 16th century. He also wants to have "In God We Trust" removed from all currency. He's not gonna be happy until not just religion, but theism, or deism (Belief in Gods or deities) is completely pressed out of the public sphere, and atheists are the only ones that are comfortable. After all, some of these atheists think of themselves as mentally superior beings who's minds aren't clouded by mideval mysticism and ancient nonsense which has been accountable for every problem since life spread, tirelessly struggling to free other simple-minded folk from their illusions and toil in vain to force their less-intelligent simpletons to embrace reality. The arrogance some of them possess is astounding.

NOW.... WHAT DO YOU FIND ANNOYING!?

-Concordia

Me and Trelane were just talking.. We both really hate that episode of Star Trek TNG where Riker, Data and Worf are stuck in that hotel royale thing.

*The Royale* isn´t soooo bad, the third one (IIRC the one where they go to that *arabic planet*) is worse.

I have to side with Ghost. The Royale was a neat episode, even if it didn't necessarily make sense. And whoever thought it would be a really really great idea if Yar had to fight "Yareena" in the third episode should have been hanged and then shot and then hanged again.

Originally posted by Concordia

The Patriot Act is downright scary, it gives the government the right to imprison a person suspected of terrorism indefinetly, without trial, and even without council. That is just scary. I could even see why you'd want to hold them, even indefinetly-- but without council? The only reason I can see for that is so that the government can abuse their power. No other reason. The best argument is "why should we give terrorists a lawyer?" Uhm, I always thought that you were presumed innocent until proven guilty? I understand why you'd hold them in this case until you were certain they were innocent because they pose such a grave danger, but I think they should be given right to council-- that is a constitutional right, and remember, some people imprisoned may not be terrorists, they are suspected. I'm not saying I sympathize with them; I think what they did was reprehensable but let's not shred the constitution quite yet shall we? This is even more ironic because that guy Zacharias Moussaoui, who we know is a terrorist, and even PLEGED ALLEGIANCE TO OSAMA BIN LADEN IN *OPEN COURT* is given a FULL-BLOWN TRIAL.

This was an oldie, but a goodie... That Sacramento Atheist who made the Pledge Unconstitutional? His name was Doctor Michael A. Newdow, and he basically got in a bend because he's an atheist and he basically believes everyone else should be.

His daughter wanted to know the meaning of the pledge and he got all bent out of shape about it. It's not like she was an atheist too-- she, in fact, was a practicing Christian. It wasn't even good enough for Newdow that a 1943-44 Supreme Court Ruling said you didn't even HAVE to say the pledge if you didn't want to. He basically went to court claiming that the pledge was unconstitutional because the word God was mentioned in the Pledge. Who cares? True it wasn't there initially, but that's beside the point, we also say "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?" And you don't have to have the "So help you God" part in if you don't want-- yet that still remains part of the oath. He also filed a lawsuit against the President because of some referrences to God (which there were quite a few) actually, it was thrown out though. I guess it was only a matter of time before he'd get lucky-- throw enough sh-t at a wall and some's gonna stick. He's now filing a suit to have Chaplains removed from government. He's not gonna be happy until he has religion completely eradicated.

I'm not very religious, but I feel that if you want to believe, you're free to, and if you don't, you don't have to, but don't tell me I can't believe, or I have to. 93% of americans are religious and only 7% aren't. I always thought this was majority rules, not minority? Also, if you don't even HAVE to say the pledge, why should it be removed? We don't remove the Oath in court, because you don't HAVE to say "God". I feel that if enough steam picks up, atheists like Michael Newdow, would turn into the Catholics of the 6th to 16th century. He also wants to have "In God We Trust" removed from all currency. He's not gonna be happy until not just religion, but theism, or deism (Belief in Gods or deities) is completely pressed out of the public sphere, and atheists are the only ones that are comfortable. After all, some of these atheists think of themselves as mentally superior beings who's minds aren't clouded by mideval mysticism and ancient nonsense which has been accountable for every problem since life spread, tirelessly struggling to free other simple-minded folk from their illusions and toil in vain to force their less-intelligent simpletons to embrace reality. The arrogance some of them possess is astounding.

-Concordia

I agree with you on the "Patriot's Act" thing. But I don't think you fully understand the issue with what the athiest man had to say.

He wasn't trying to force his beliefs on other people, and wasn't trying to be a "superior intelligent" being. He wants the exact opposite.

Why must we naturally assume that normal people believe in god. And even if that is the case, why should we put it on every document surrounding something completely seperate from religion that people with different beliefs must use.

He just doesn't think it's right to presume the existence of a higher being in our pledge of allegiance or on our currency. That's like you picking up a dollar bill which says "in buddha we trust" or something. Would you feel comfortable with that?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I have to side with Ghost. The Royale was a neat episode, even if it didn't necessarily make sense. And whoever thought it would be a really really great idea if Yar had to fight "Yareena" in the third episode should have been hanged and then shot and then hanged again.

I mentally blocked that one out. The Royale one really creeped me out for some reason. And like me and Tre were saying, the first two seasons were so infused with the 1980's it was sickening. Somehow when it became 1990, their uniforms and haircuts and everything changes and the show became 10000% more tolerable.

Yeah... people forget how bad the first two seasons of TNG were.

Especially the first season. Half of the episodes were ripoffs of original series stories... and the other half made even less sense. Like the one where they go for shore leave on a planet full of people in their underwear. What the hell was up with that?

Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by Mav23
I agree with you on the "Patriot's Act" thing. But I don't think you fully understand the issue with what the athiest man had to say.

He wasn't trying to force his beliefs on other people, and wasn't trying to be a "superior intelligent" being. He wants the exact opposite.

He wants to force his disbelief on people then.

Why must we naturally assume that normal people believe in god. And even if that is the case, why should we put it on every document surrounding something completely seperate from religion that people with different beliefs must use.

I'm not assuming that normal people do, I'm assuming that a majority of people do. Telling the majority that they can't say "one nation under god" because a minority feels uncomfortable is ludicrous.

He just doesn't think it's right to presume the existence of a higher being in our pledge of allegiance or on our currency. That's like you picking up a dollar bill which says "in buddha we trust" or something. Would you feel comfortable with that?

Actually, I wouldn't mind "In Buddha We Trust" although Buddha was not a higher being. The Buddhists do not worship a God-- they believe they exist, but they do not worship one... also, they believe that even the Gods die and are reborn.

The Buddhist philosophy is a respectable one.

-Concordia

Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

He wants to force his disbelief on people then.

You are right on there!

I'm not assuming that normal people do, I'm assuming that a majority of people do. Telling the majority that they can't say "one nation under god" because a minority feels uncomfortable is ludicrous.

That's what this new Tolerant america is about. Everyone's special little whims have to be catered too. I worked with a lady who is a strict vegetarian. She eats NO meat at all. Unfortunately that meant that we ALWAYS had to make sure there was one of these fruit or salad things just for her. And if the resteraunt or meeting didn't offer any, then the boss had to make everyone (not just her) go somewhere else. I REALLY didn't like her much. Fighting for the minority has become the "in thing" to do.

Actually, I wouldn't mind "In Buddha We Trust" although Buddha was not a higher being. The Buddhists do not worship a God-- they believe they exist, but they do not worship one... also, they believe that even the Gods die and are reborn.

The Buddhist philosophy is a respectable one.

-Concordia

"God" is a non-specific term. Insert whatever you want.

The royale episode was at least some original thought, even if it was pretty stupid. STNG didn't get good until the Q through them to the BORG!

Finally, long posts annoy me!:p

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I mentally blocked that one out. The Royale one really creeped me out for some reason. And like me and Tre were saying, the first two seasons were so infused with the 1980's it was sickening. Somehow when it became 1990, their uniforms and haircuts and everything changes and the show became 10000% more tolerable.

The last episode of the 1st seasson, *The Neutral Zone* was very, very good, but the worse episode of TNG is *Shades of Gray* the last episode of 2nd seasson, c´mon, it´s shit, a plant birts Riker in the first 5 minutes, he is in comma and remember all the previous episodes, all the episode is about Riker sleeping in the sickbay with parts of old episodes. and Troy staring him.
Lazies writers...,it´s the last episode they pasted old episodes...:(

*The Royale* was good, nice story, is fun to see Data gambling with the fat Texan guy, Worf totally uncomfortable and doesn´t understand anything and Riker...well, he is Riker. ;)

Indeed Ghost, "Shades of Grey" was very Poor, the best end of season episode of TNG is by far "Best of Both World's Part 1"

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yeah... people forget how bad the first two seasons of TNG were.

How many times did Will Wheaton bail the crew out? And then he trips over some plants and is sentenced to death on a planet full of hot blonde babes. (Man, that sounds like a TOS episode)

Season 2 tried though. "Q Who?" should be noted for being rather good.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by Excelsis
You are right on there!

No, he's not.

He doesn't want to have any religious beliefs incorporated at all. It's not forcing disbelief, it's not broaching the subject at all.

So are you saying that the people in the majority are more important than the people in the minority? The way he has proposed leaves nothing to offend. The majority can be happy still believing in god and the like, and the beliefs that he does not share are not inflicted on him.

Strictly speaking, you should be angry that those God references appeared in the first place... America has always prided itself on its separation of state and religion. Trying to rebuild this separation is not equivalent to trying to force atheism on everybody. The only way you can have religious freedom, in fact, is if you maintain that separation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by Mav23
No, he's not.

He doesn't want to have any religious beliefs incorporated at all. It's not forcing disbelief, it's not broaching the subject at all.

Some atheists such as Michael Newdow are the type to take a mile if you give them an inch. If he wins on this, he plans to push to have God removed from currency, if he wins that, he intends to have chaplains removed from the government. You give that guy one inch and he'll take a mile. And if you give in once, he can easily say "it has already been ruled that..." using his own previous victories as evidence to support the elimination of religion or deism. In either case, the only to keep him reigned in is to not fold and to keep throwing out his cases and not bending an inch. If he does, he will keep going until before you know it he'll be having all the churches demolished in place of other places because churches serve no purpose.

He is simply like a child who throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his way. If you give into him, he will throw a tantrum again knowing that's how to get his way. When a kid throws a tantrum you must always say no. He has the characteristics of a kid-throwing a temper-tantrum.

So are you saying that the people in the majority are more important than the people in the minority? The way he has proposed leaves nothing to offend. The majority can be happy still believing in god and the like, and the beliefs that he does not share are not inflicted on him.

I'm not saying the Majority is more important, I'm saying that what they say should be respected more than the Minority. Unless the requests of the Majority is unreasonable (unless they want to throw out the constitution, or support a genocide), they should be listened to.

-Concordia

Originally posted by Quarto
Strictly speaking, you should be angry that those God references appeared in the first place... America has always prided itself on its separation of state and religion. Trying to rebuild this separation is not equivalent to trying to force atheism on everybody. The only way you can have religious freedom, in fact, is if you maintain that separation.

Actually, they said freedom of religion. They didn't say freedom of atheism actually. It was later added that you did not have to believe in God.

The first few presidents were not christians, they were deists in that they believed in God, but not a religion in particular. They didn't believe in religion, some of them anyway. In fact, Thomas Jefferson sounded awfully like an atheist.

Some of these militant atheists have exploited the Constitution to force their agenda-- the annihilation of religion and belief in God. They don't believe, and they don't want others to. Throw away your Holy Bible and take out your Almighty Science Textbook instead.

http://www.atheists.org
http://www.atheists.net

These are the kind that I have a problem with. Particularly the bottom one. What an abusive obnoxious f-ck.

I don't like the kind of atheists who are militant. If they don't force themselves on others, I don't care what they believe, but I *DO* care when they start calling others stupid, or mentally deficient or delusional.

I feel that if they were able to get into power, they would basically become the equvalent of the Roman Catholic Church in the 500-1500's.

-Concordia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Originally posted by Excelsis
You are right on there!

That's how I see it.

That's what this new Tolerant america is about. Everyone's special little whims have to be catered too. I worked with a lady who is a strict vegetarian. She eats NO meat at all. Unfortunately that meant that we ALWAYS had to make sure there was one of these fruit or salad things just for her. And if the resteraunt or meeting didn't offer any, then the boss had to make everyone (not just her) go somewhere else. I REALLY didn't like her much. Fighting for the minority has become the "in thing" to do.

I think it's stupid. If you're different, I wish we'd be tolerant not to persecute them, but c'mon, don't force an entire group to head to a different restaurant because you don't like meat. If you don't want meat, just order french fries or something. Eat enough and they'll fill you up quite nicely :) Vegetarians are vegetarians usually because they feel it morally wrong to kill an animal. I hate to break it to them, but animals kill, and humans do it best. We've turned killing into an art-form. What do you think fighters, and bombers, and FFG's, DDG's, CG's, and Carriers are designed for? For decoration? No, they're built to destroy stuff and kill people. If they just don't like the taste of meat, then they could still order french-fries anyway...

"God" is a non-specific term. Insert whatever you want.

Interesting enough, Allah means God in Arabic, it's not a special name.

The royale episode was at least some original thought, even if it was pretty stupid. STNG didn't get good until the Q through them to the BORG!

True! And finally Q made a good point as well, the universe is dangerous!!!

Finally, long posts annoy me!:p

Sorry, I am somewhat long-winded aren't I? :)

-Concordia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Annoying Things

Alright, see, I leave for a month or so, and everyone gets all into ruckus! :)

BTW-When you all read this, remember, as I've went round and round with people here about, I'm a Liberatarian-not a Republican. (Nor am I really a Bush supporter, I just happen to be more keen on listening/knowing things that the government is doing that could take away from what my party is after.)

Some atheists such as Michael Newdow are the type to take a mile if you give them an inch. If he wins on this, he plans to push to have God removed from currency, if he wins that, he intends to have chaplains removed from the government. You give that guy one inch and he'll take a mile. And if you give in once, he can easily say "it has already been ruled that..." using his own previous victories as evidence to support the elimination of religion or deism. In either case, the only to keep him reigned in is to not fold and to keep throwing out his cases and not bending an inch. If he does, he will keep going until before you know it he'll be having all the churches demolished in place of other places because churches serve no purpose.

How can you treat that as an "atheist on the warpath" (not your words, just summarizing.) That is EXACTLY what anyone else in any different situation would do. It's called being ambitious. Which is exactly what the US is about. Should he fail, I doubt he'll stop, he'll just chose another path. Don't act as if he's a loner in this.

I'm not saying the Majority is more important, I'm saying that what they say should be respected more than the Minority. Unless the requests of the Majority is unreasonable (unless they want to throw out the constitution, or support a genocide), they should be listened to.

-Concordia [/B]

But...that's basically the same thing. The majority should win because they are the majority. While that principle is sound in things like elections, some things aren't going to work with that. Prohibition was decided upon by Congress (which is supposed to, although fails usually-but for the sake of argument, express the people's will.) As was the internment of Japanese Americans during the second World War. So was the suspension of the writ of Habius Corpus during the Civil War. That doesn't mean that it was right. (While you might be able to argue that it was "necessary" in some instances, where things like this come up, I guarantee that I can argue the opposite.)

Now don't get me wrong, I agree the majority should hold a good sway-they are the majority, I'm just saying you need to watch how liberal you are with saying that they should just get their way unless things are "unreasonable"-that word is subjective.

There are some things that just really annoy me to NO end.

Sometimes the things the President does just irritates the sh-t out of me, George W. Bush is just angling for a war. He wants a war, and he is not going to stop until he gets one. He's angry that Saddam tried to kill his Daddy, and I guess I can see how he's pissed, but do we need a literal declaration of war? We can attack them without a declaration if we want. The reason I see that he's doing this is to basically give himself more power, and curb civil-liberties.

Um...he's not after a declaration of war, he's after a resolution to use force, should it be necessary. (I bet he assumes it will be.) That's rather different than war. (Congress still holds authority over him in this.) As for him holding back our liberties, please tell me what the PRESIDENT has prevented you from doing.

Oh yeah, as for the Patriot Act-don't blame Bush on that one (Even if he advocated for it) Congress passed it. (Not that you did, but in case you decide to comment on it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back