Angel's Transfer

Kuhuna

Rear Admiral
Does anyone know when Angel transferred off of Concordia to Special Ops? I know she was captured around the time Concordia went down, but did she transfer before or after the Battle of Earth?

Does anyone know when Angel transferred off of Concordia to Special Ops? I know she was captured around the time Concordia went down, but did she transfer before or after the Battle of Earth?

I'd heard someone around here mention she spent some time on the Lexington, but that may have been after that transfer to secret ops, and actually she was captured and executed before the Concordia went down. With at least enough time for Paladin to have heard about it.

I'd heard someone around here mention she spent some time on the Lexington, but that may have been after that transfer to secret ops, and actually she was captured and executed before the Concordia went down. With at least enough time for Paladin to have heard about it.

You are thinking of a piece from S*S which says that Angel's team hitched a ride on the Armada Lexington to get into Kilrathi space if I'm remembering correctly.

You are thinking of a piece from S*S which says that Angel's team hitched a ride on the Armada Lexington to get into Kilrathi space if I'm remembering correctly.

You are, now I remember.

But I also recall hearing that she flew one or two missions off of that ship... maybe not.

The Armada Lexington. That was sort of a Ghostly story. Do you think any of the crew on that ship had any hope of coming back? Or even knew what they were getting into?

The Armada Lexington. That was sort of a Ghostly story. Do you think any of the crew on that ship had any hope of coming back? Or even knew what they were getting into?

The Armada Lexington and her exploits are one of my favorite chapters in the WC universe. I always imagined that they uncovered the existence and the mission of their Kilrathi counterpart, and thus altered course away from Kilrah and chased after the enemy carrier until they destroyed each other.

I know that's not what happened, but it's what I used to think. Would be a great game plot... talk about a pretty depressing 'winning' mission branch. ;)

The diary entries in Voices of War make it seem that some, at least, figured on a one way mission.

Yeah, it's a pretty compelling concept: two ships on opposite sides, similar in a lot of ways, locked together in mutual annihilation. The Lexington was almost certainly destroyed, though the war would have been lost if it hadn't laid the groundwork for the T-Bomb run.

I have to wonder about the Commander whose logs we read in Voices of War. Someone who's was at the Tiger's Claw at Firekka, the Concordia at K'thrak Mang, the Battle of Terra... possible male, by the blondes & brunettes comment, but who knows? The fates of the characters from WC1 & 2 are mostly confirmed, and it doesn't seem like any of them could be the CO. Maybe it's tacitly supposed to be the player, who (if he or she's a Wing Commander fan) would have "experienced" all those events.

Oh, come on, it was a stupid concept, from the story point of view :). It was just a really lame excuse to explain why the gameplay only involves one carrier on either side.

As for the CO... the manual was written to imply it was Blair - just like in WC Academy and the WC1&2 guide. That's why it can't really match any existing character, because it obviously can't be the guy that it's literally supposed to be.

Yeah, it's a pretty compelling concept: two ships on opposite sides, similar in a lot of ways, locked together in mutual annihilation. The Lexington was almost certainly destroyed, though the war would have been lost if it hadn't laid the groundwork for the T-Bomb run.

So it was the Lexington that set up the asteroid bases for the t-bomb run? I haven't played Armada all the way through, so I don't know the story well (and what I've read is pretty vague), but it makes sense.
Was Angel still the Wing Commander on Cancordia during the Battle of Earth?

IIRC, Angel had already been transferred by the time the Battle of Earth took place. I believe the WC3N makes mention that Blair was the Concordia's Wing Commander at the time. He was shot down and ejected during the battle. He was recovering in a hospital when Concordia went down.

IIRC, Angel had already been transferred by the time the Battle of Earth took place. I believe the WC3N makes mention that Blair was the Concordia's Wing Commander at the time. He was shot down and ejected during the battle. He was recovering in a hospital when Concordia went down.

Why didn't he just reload the last save?

He wanted to see the ending on the losing track, but those marines had to go in foul it up.

So it was the Lexington that set up the asteroid bases for the t-bomb run? I haven't played Armada all the way through, so I don't know the story well (and what I've read is pretty vague), but it makes sense.

There's not much in-game story in Armada - just the snippets from the gauntlet which Wedge has transcribed - but the manual for the game says the Lexington's primary mission was to "eliminate the homeworld of Kilrah" and the manual for Arena tells us the Lex's Special Ops team did reach the planet. They're probably the same team that set up the asteroid bases; I don't expect Confed could sneak into the Kilrah system on a regular basis.

Oh, come on, it was a stupid concept, from the story point of view :). It was just a really lame excuse to explain why the gameplay only involves one carrier on either side.

I suppose that's true, especially in its current form. I do think the concept has enormous potential - with a few good writers, you could conceivably have a compelling story on your hands.

Two carriers trying to be as secretive as possible, somehow finding each other in space - ultimate cat and mouse type stuff. Stranger things have happened in war.

Eh, it's all mute anyway - it's never likely to be seriously touched on again.

EDIT - I wrote '~~~' (m+eh) initially by accident in the post above rather than 'eh' and it was censored. Any reason?

its all moot anyway :p also m+eh is an internetism for 'whatever' so is banned just like the el oh el acronym.

I'm guessing in the case of m+eh cos it's kinda rude, and in the case of el oh el cos it's annoying.

*Note to self - suggest that on the board I'm on the admin team for*

I think you are correct here. Blair mentions taking a missile during BoT and being in recovery at the time. IIRC he was part of the team that was sent out to try and find the wreckage of the Concordia as well.

Well, the Concordia got hammered pretty hard during the Battle of Terra, and on top of all the damage that had accumulated over the years, it wasn't really fit for battle anymore. The ship was assigned to patrolling low-risk systems on Confed's side, but ended up fighting a rearguard action over Vespus. Kilrathi cloaking technology is credited with bringing the old girl down. There were no survivors, though all the familiar faces from WC2 had been transferred off at this point (except maybe Major Edmond).

This is all mentioned in the manuals for Armada & Arena and the novelization of WC3.

Back