Alpha Test Game 5

Message: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/end_phase_engine.php on line 299
Getting this when I attempt to access the game this morning in Chrome 16.
Fixed. A syntax error from some of the cap ship gun work I was doing.

Shameless plug to all of you currently enjoying Game 5: looks like we're in the running for Fan Project of the Year! If you enjoy WCTOO, go vote! Hopefully we can at least get number of votes >= number of players!

Last edited by a moderator:
13CP: I'm thinking we need to tell Chernikov that he needs to tell the game not to shoot at Loki. 17 days since the craft was issued any orders is a bit long.

Going to be taking some pics of my counters soon and I want to use the current game state to set them up. I'm planing on using the squadron emblem sheets to denote who is who, and I'm wondering if y'all (by which I mean the folks playing the game) might have any preferences as to which of the squadron emblems I use for your craft. For my craft, I plan to use the Air Mogul Squadron emblem; seemed goofy enough to fit my fighter names. If y'all need a list of squadrons from the CCG (the source for the squadron emblem sheets), look 'em up at http://ccg.jetlag.us/main.php?g2_itemId=992 .

13CP: I'm thinking we need to tell Chernikov that he needs to tell the game not to shoot at Loki. 17 days since the craft was issued any orders is a bit long.
I've let it go so far because I was doing updates to the core game code anyway, and it was holidays for many people... but I think I will send him a PM to remind him and include a deadline...

...and now it's time for me to complain about Wowskyguy/Feline.

What kind of deadline did you give Chernikov last time, just out of curiosity?

I usually give people an extra 2-3 days, but generally, the message from me is enough to kick them into gear. I suspect forgetfulness is our biggest enemy.

I did not receive a e-mail warning for 13EP.
Also, chaff pods work against dumb-fire missiles? Oh well, I guess it makes sense in terms of proximity fuses and stuff.

Cheers,

Also, chaff pods work against dumb-fire missiles?

They can, but it's not likely. Page 9 of the rules: "DF missiles can not be fooled by decoys, as they don’t have any guidance system – they can, however, smash into the chaff pod by chance. This occurs whenever the player rolls a natural 6, and when the DF missile in question is in the ship’s rear arc."

I have a complaint about a missing missile. (heh)
Code:
Porcupine 3 releases a chaff pod.
The Image Recognition Missile is not fooled by the chaff decoy (roll: 1).
yet the IR missile disappeared.

I have a complaint about a missing missile. (heh)
Code:
Porcupine 3 releases a chaff pod.
The Image Recognition Missile is not fooled by the chaff decoy (roll: 1).
yet the IR missile disappeared.
Okay, I've found the issue.

What happened was that the chaff pod did not work (as listed) but then the missile itself detonated as a miss. (i.e. it couldn't beat the TR of the ship). All missiles, once they attempt a hit, are considered dead.

The real issue is that the missile hit messages aren't clear. The "Miss. (1)" on the line "Heat-Seeking Missile chases after Feline, going 10 and turns port 1" was actually talking about your IR missile missing.

I realized that I copy and pasted the missile hit/miss messages from the guns without giving them the context that the guns have (of listing targets, etc.) I've updated the missile messages so that in the future, that 'miss' would be on its own line, with the additional message of 'Image Recognition Missile explodes harmlessly nearby Porcupine 3' in this case.

Great catch. Keep the bugs coming!

Finally got together those pics I threatened to take of the game using my counters. I've got a few more; these are some of the better ones. Tell me what y'all think.

Attachments

• 2012-01-14 21-01-52.394.jpg
    2012-01-14 21-01-52.394.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2012-01-14 21-05-03.850.jpg
    2012-01-14 21-05-03.850.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 148
  • 2012-01-14 21-05-13.698.jpg
    2012-01-14 21-05-13.698.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2012-01-14 21-05-22.548.jpg
    2012-01-14 21-05-22.548.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 2012-01-14 20-40-26.745.jpg
    2012-01-14 20-40-26.745.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 147
Finally got together those pics I threatened to take of the game using my counters. I've got a few more; these are some of the better ones. Tell me what y'all think.
Looks pretty cool. I assume you were using the TacOps ruleset? How did it go?

Looks pretty cool. I assume you were using the TacOps ruleset? How did it go?

Actually, I used the state of the game in Game 5, Turn 14 Move Phase to set up the pics (wasn't actually playing a new game; my wife won't play it with me and my usual go-to guy when it comes to games - who incidentally is certifiably insane - wants to finish up our current role-playing campaign before beginning anything else, something that's likely not to happen for at least another year or two).

So I gave everybody a squadron emblem based on how they named their fighters...the first pic I've got up there is the state of the game on the right-hand side of the map (my hex map is from a Captain's/Doomsday Edition SFB set and it's nowhere near a 100x100 grid, so doing the whole thing at once was out of the question from the get go). Second pic is an extreme closeup of Thor (with the Valkyrie Squadron emblem next to it), the third is a closeup of Lima, Bravo (Zombie Wolf Squadron) and Glorious (Night Prowler Squadron), the fourth is Harm's Way (Great White Squadron) getting ready to enter my map, and the last is the mashup between me (Air Mogul Squadron) and QuailPilot (Rage of Sivar Squadron). I think I got all the rocks in the big picture; not 100% sure on that one.

Actually, I used the state of the game in Game 5, Turn 14 Move Phase to set up the pics (wasn't actually playing a new game; my wife won't play it with me and my usual go-to guy when it comes to games - who incidentally is certifiably insane - wants to finish up our current role-playing campaign before beginning anything else, something that's likely not to happen for at least another year or two).

So I gave everybody a squadron emblem based on how they named their fighters...the first pic I've got up there is the state of the game on the right-hand side of the map (my hex map is from a Captain's/Doomsday Edition SFB set and it's nowhere near a 100x100 grid, so doing the whole thing at once was out of the question from the get go). Second pic is an extreme closeup of Thor (with the Valkyrie Squadron emblem next to it), the third is a closeup of Lima, Bravo (Zombie Wolf Squadron) and Glorious (Night Prowler Squadron), the fourth is Harm's Way (Great White Squadron) getting ready to enter my map, and the last is the mashup between me (Air Mogul Squadron) and QuailPilot (Rage of Sivar Squadron). I think I got all the rocks in the big picture; not 100% sure on that one.

Well, only Skanks is left, and he hasn't been on the forums since Sunday, so I don't know how much help a PM will be.

Howdy! I did not receive turns 13 and 14 EP mails.
Cheers
Now, are you sure they didn't get junk-mailed? Also, I take it that it was only the EP phase, but you are still getting CP and MP emails?

To everyone else out there: was he unique, or did everyone not get them?

Finally: can anyone else see if anything funky happened during these EP phases that might have interrupted the resolution? (The very last thing processed is usually the email sending, so if anything 'crashes out' during turn processing, it might just cancel an email being sent... in this case, no one would get an email.)

Back