Alpha Test Game 4

Thanks Wedge. I've put the correct css online in the main version, and I'll keep an eye out for if/when that missile_target ID comes up. That was likely/is likely intended for the missile popups Targeting: field.

Sorry I haven't been around to check on the results of whats been occuring but I'm on holiday. All I've been doing at the moment is logging in to do my turn before getting back to the sun! From reading this my poor Sabre's have been getting a beating they shouldn't have! :)

Sorry I haven't been around to check on the results of whats been occuring but I'm on holiday. All I've been doing at the moment is logging in to do my turn before getting back to the sun! From reading this my poor Sabre's have been getting a beating they shouldn't have! :)

Oh, just the one...... :D

...I'll keep an eye out for if/when that missile_target ID comes up. That was likely/is likely intended for the missile popups Targeting: field.
I think so, but of course, since I'm only a spectator, I wouldn't have a screen with this data... would I?

...and I'm back. Sorry guys, I had one hell of a week! Basically just signed in to game 4 and issued my orders so the game could go on. Of course, I tried to keep up with the forum, but I didn't get around to sign in and reply until now. So, in short:

Crossbow data: I tried to find my old ship sheets, but haven't had much luck so far. I'd appreciate it if you created a new thread outside of this one, then I'd just look over it again after I had a chance to skim through my external hdd.

Shelton slide: If a ship has a Turn Rate of 3 and you already used up 2 turns before, you only get the last remaining turn after you performed the slide. Currently, all maneuvers are limited by the technical capabilities of a given ship instead of enhancing them.

Barrel roll vs. banking: Technically speaking, banking counts as regular movement, while a barrel roll counts as a (special) maneuver. While you are allowed to combine these two, you should not be allowed to combine a barrel roll with a Shelton slide, burnout our any other of the special maneuvers mentioned in WCTO's manual.
It might even be worth discussing whether a special maneuver should override "regular" movement altogether. (And this is one of the reasons why we need beta-testing opportunities so much... ;))

Hmm. check your spam filters. The email notification system is one of the 'newer' add-on features, and not 100% verified. That said, thus far we have found spam filters to be the culprit a few times.
No, I've been receiving the notifications, and I've gotten a few. I just never did receive the one for Turn 7's combat phase. Kind of odd.

Feel free to cheat as long as it it to test/confirm a bug. Then keep bugging me until I fix it. We're still in testing phase.
You have no idea what you're asking me to do, but okay.......... ;)

Crossbow data: I tried to find my old ship sheets, but haven't had much luck so far. I'd appreciate it if you created a new thread outside of this one, then I'd just look over it again after I had a chance to skim through my external hdd.
Can/will do. Mainly just checking to see if I understood the stat creation process correctly or not.

Shelton slide: If a ship has a Turn Rate of 3 and you already used up 2 turns before, you only get the last remaining turn after you performed the slide. Currently, all maneuvers are limited by the technical capabilities of a given ship instead of enhancing them.
Gotcha. I was pretty sure that was supposed to be the case; thanks for clarifying. I guess I missed a chance to see if another bug was present, though; kinda wished I'd done it now (though I'm sure Skanks is glad I didn't).

Technically speaking, banking counts as regular movement, while a barrel roll counts as a (special) maneuver. While you are allowed to combine these two, you should not be allowed to combine a barrel roll with a Shelton slide, burnout our any other of the special maneuvers mentioned in WCTO's manual.
Thought so. Thanks for clarifying that as well.

Turn 7 end phase:

Got the notification 5:45 CDT today.

Alright, ready for some explosions and fireworks and................and I can hear the crickets chirping. :(
Looks like I'm the one holding up the works for some reason...Grimreaper. What could he possibly need to do?
Ah...a tailing opportunity...on Dark Archon. Once again, the game has asked me if I want to tail my own guy.
This is a bug we already know about. So, let's get on with it......onwards to turn Eight!!!!

Turn 8, movement phase:

Just a quick blurb here...I know y'all are discussing stat bleeds. When I look at the stats for the nine craft still in the game, everything looks normal except for the stats for the two Sabres on the board (Sierra 1 and Sierra 2). For them, all the data that ordinarily appears on the right hand side is appearing below the pop-up. This is happening in Firefox 3.6.13; I have access to other browsers (IE, Safari, Chrome) and will look to see if this is the case in them as well.

Edit: This is NOT happening in IE 9.0.8112; could just be a Firefox problem.
Edit2: Also NOT happening in Safari 5.1.
Edit3: Also NOT happening in Chrome 14.0.835. Definitely a Firefox problem, then.

I think so, but of course, since I'm only a spectator, I wouldn't have a screen with this data... would I?
You should see it as a spectator. Just mouse over any in-game missile and you should find that class in use, I think. Oh, unless missile_target is used in the command-issuing window, then, no, you wouldn't see it.

Firefox 3.6.13;
Please try using an up-to-date version of Firefox, such as 4+. I believe when I first made this, I was already in the beta for 4.0 at the time. Firefox 3.6.13 is now over a year and a half out of date, at least as far as CSS compatibility goes. Report back if it is still a problem after an upgrade.

While you are allowed to combine these two, you should not be allowed to combine a barrel roll with a Shelton slide, burnout our any other of the special maneuvers mentioned in WCTO's manual.
Hmm, how has this not come up before? I'm pretty sure we were barrel rolling while doing other stuff back in the straight WCTO games. Anyway, this will involve a short re-coding of the command interface, so don't expect it immediately.

Reminder: during the movement phase, someone try afterburning not off the map with a turn of at least 2 (left or right doesn't matter).

Please try using an up-to-date version of Firefox, such as 4+. I believe when I first made this, I was already in the beta for 4.0 at the time. Firefox 3.6.13 is now over a year and a half out of date, at least as far as CSS compatibility goes. Report back if it is still a problem after an upgrade.

Aw.......it works fine in 6.0. Lousy work computers......I couldn't tell you when the last time Systems upgraded Firefox. They sure as hell are on the stick with their IE upgrades.

Sorry about that. Thought I had something bonafide, or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Before I go and code in the change I want someone to try afterburning with a turn of at least 2 that doesn't go off the board during next movement phase. If no one can do this during that phase, I'll add a new ship just so we can test.
Have a look at Bravo 1 in turn 8... ;)

It's not a problem. Keep reporting things like this, even if it turns out to be a false alarm.

I know how conservative corporate environments can be with regards to software but do you mean IE upgrades or updates? Certainly IE security updates are a regular occurrence, but I wouldn't have expected upgrades to be so frequent. I remember being forced to deal with IE6 in one of my previous jobs because of the client's software policy. That was... unpleasant.

You should see it as a spectator. Just mouse over any in-game missile and you should find that class in use, I think. Oh, unless missile_target is used in the command-issuing window, then, no, you wouldn't see it.
I was thinking it's user command related. So I wouldn't see it. But we'll see.

Turn 8 CP: The "Orders" button for Zeta 1 was sitting somewhere in the middle/left of the ship info screen instead of its normal position. Also, there weren't any valid targets for me to choose... So basically I just had to hit "Orders" and "Report" for nothing. ;)

Something's still not right...Bravo 1 turned up two spaces ahead of where he should've. (AB of 13, forward 7 spaces, first turn is free, four more moves to turn twice more, then two spaces forward).

I know how conservative corporate environments can be with regards to software but do you mean IE upgrades or updates? Certainly IE security updates are a regular occurrence, but I wouldn't have expected upgrades to be so frequent. I remember being forced to deal with IE6 in one of my previous jobs because of the client's software policy. That was... unpleasant.

Both, come to think of it. I mean, it's annoying when they do come in, do some work on your computer to try to get things up to date, and the very next day (when Flash or iTunes or something comes out with their next software version) you sit there and can't do anything with it because you have to have admin access to make the upgrade, so your machine sits there and tells you about it for the next six months...seriously, I didn't know Firefox 3 was so far out of date already; they've never upgraded it.

Turn 8 CP: The "Orders" button for Zeta 1 was sitting somewhere in the middle/left of the ship info screen instead of its normal position. Also, there weren't any valid targets for me to choose... So basically I just had to hit "Orders" and "Report" for nothing. ;)

Did that twice myself last turn, and yet this turn it seems to have been handled automatically for my craft without targets (except for Grimreaper, for some reason).
And none of y'all moved the way I thought you we're going to... :mad:
I suppose that's part of what makes the game interesting, right?

...I didn't know Firefox 3 was so far out of date already...
It's not excessively so. As far as I know, Mozilla just switched Firefox to a rapid-release version numbering system to 'catch up' with the version numbers of the other major browsers. It's just a perception thing.

It's not excessively so. As far as I know, Mozilla just switched Firefox to a rapid-release version numbering system to 'catch up' with the version numbers of the other major browsers. It's just a perception thing.
Yeah, firefox "6" really should have been called 4.2 by the old number scheme. Personally, I'm on Firefox 7 at this point. I think the whole thing is silly really, but there's even a rumour they're going to do-away with version numbers completely....to make our lives so much better!
Yeah...okay, clearly this is confirmation. As of this posting, I have implemented the proposed bug-fix. Note: This bug fix necessitates a slight change to the entire move/turn code in general. As such, all movement involving turns should be investigated. Next movement phase, we need people to both turn and afterburn at a rate greater than 1 (2 should be fine) to make sure both are calculating correctly after the fix.

Wedge: so you can help with the CSS, can you make a user account? I'll hack you in a super-user type power like I have so that it always thinks you own every ship (sort of like what we had going in an earlier phase). This will let you see things like that offset Orders button, which is clearly related to the current css issue.

Yeah, we've had that before. It thinks you can do something, and then discovers you can't. I haven't tracked it down. Capi, since you're our bug-finding expert currently, feel like going back through the logs of this game and the other alpha test games to find references to this particular occurrence? I probably posted a theory at the time and asked people to bug/remind me later as usual, and it got lost over the 6 month gap where I was too busy to develop.

Capi, since you're our bug-finding expert currently, feel like going back through the logs of this game and the other alpha test games to find references to this particular occurrence?

Sure thing (though it may happen right away; I've got another project that will be getting back on track in the very near future). You're talking about a search through the forums as well as the games themselves, right?

The games aren't all browsable as some of them were from previous phases of testing and no longer compatible. Primarily I meant through the game-specific forum threads, and the massive 20-page development thread. This is the kind of thing you'll find a reference to ("Hey I was told I needed to submit an order, but there were no options") rather than something you, as an observer, could see within the games anyway.

Turn 8, end phase:

All I got to say here is that I hope we got missile evasion fixed. Otherwise, I think we're going to be down one playtester at the start of Turn 9...

Back