All your base.......

Zor Prime

That guy.
Ok, things are getting out of hand. I live in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex in Texas. Yesterday on Fox4 news, a special was run on the phrase: "All your base are belong to us."

The entire opening sequence to the game was shown. It has now become more popular than the budweiser Waasuup guys!

It even made it into my monday newspaper in the form of a foxtrot comic seen here:

http://www.dreamwater.com/tcstarawa/base/index.html

Well, we helped start a national phenomenon.:) How do you fell?

Please explain the origin of this phrase, because I'm completely clueless. Is it off of TV? (I haven't gotten TV for years...)

It's a phrase from a very badly translated video game introduction -- apparently it's all the rage these days to repeat said phrase over and over and over...

(... but much like dancing Hampsters and 'Wassup!' ripoffs, we're all going to be very tired of it in the morning...)

zerowing.gif

That is the video.
(sorry no sound, its only a gif[and not nine])

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Ok, things are getting out of hand. I live in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex in Texas. Yesterday on Fox4 news, a special was run on the phrase: "All your base are belong to us."

The entire opening sequence to the game was shown. It has now become more popular than the budweiser Waasuup guys!

It even made it into my monday newspaper in the form of a foxtrot comic seen here:

http://www.dreamwater.com/tcstarawa/base/index.html

Well, we helped start a national phenomenon.:) How do you fell?

I claim no part in pushing this weird phrase to the nation, the nation has enough problems already! This thing is just as bad as the "who let the barfs out" song. Or should that be.."who let the idiots out",,,woof woof woof woof. :rolleyes:

RFBurns

Originally posted by RFBurns
I claim no part in pushing this weird phrase to the nation, the nation has enough problems already! This thing is just as bad as the "who let the barfs out" song. Or should that be.."who let the idiots out",,,woof woof woof woof.

LOL Burns... that song made me go nuts too... ;)
(and all the dogs in my building as well...)

AND NOW, they even use it as the theme song on some stupid car commercial, with that golden retriever... :mad:

There is a dance/rap station here that played that song over and over and over for a full week! OMG!! I was tempted to go out to their transmitter and do a little "who let the tower fall, heads up, timber"! :)

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-14-2001 at 13:15]

Originally posted by Dragon

That is the video.
(sorry no sound, its only a gif[and not nine])

Dragon ,

THANK YOU for posting the video. Now I understand what
the fuss is about.

Questions:

1. Which game was this written for, and for what platform?
2. How in the world could the translation possibly be that
bad? Was it intentional? I've seen a fair number of Japanese imports that had excellent translations. I have
a hard time believing someone could release something so
shoddy unless the shoddiness was deliberate.
3. "Take Off Every Zig" -- I'm assuming that translates
to "Magnum Launch, all fighters up"?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 03-14-2001 at 13:19]

1) Zero fighter, platforms ...I play it on a arcade machine.
2) I belive that it was not intentional, just sloppy work.:D
3) Zig its the *cogh* fighter.

How it all came to be....

Several months ago, Somethingawfull.com placed the Zero WIng Intro on their site as one of their many skits.

Soon after some guys on some Tribes Webboard discovered the skit, and started a contest, to see who can put the line "All your base are bleng to us" in to the most situations. They have been making pictures since then, and they made most of the pictures in existence.

In either December or January, an amateur music group wrote a song with the lines in it. The last I have heard of these poeple, they just recieved a contract with some national recording company cause of this song.

A week after the song was made, some of the friends of the music group made a video for it. This is the video you all mave have aleay seen. It's simply a flash slideshow of all the AYB pictures in existence at the time.

Amd the rest, as they say, is history. There was a TIME Magazine article about the line and the music video.

Suddenly it hits me...

THIS is how the Kilrathi war got started! This is why
the Iason was toasted by the Kilrathi!

The Iason's communication software was written by the same
firm that translated Zero fighter! So, when the humans
attempted to send the message:

"Hello. This is the exploration vessel TCS Iason.
We are on a peaceful mission and request communications.
Please identify yourself."

The Kilrathi received:

"ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!
YOUR MATES ARE SODOMIZED BY US!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!"

Having read this, the Kilrathi responded appropriately,
and blew the Iason away.

Whaddaya say, plausible?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

"Even a D- history student knows it is better to be
the hammer than the nail" -- Chuck Yeager

Yup..the game is Zero Wing, 1989 side-scrolling space shooter. The 'zig' is kinda fun to fly. Unfortunately I don't have the intro in the ROM file.

Back