Alcubierre FTL-Type Capital Ship Concept (Largely for Fun -- Feel Free to Comment)

Miracynonyx100

Swabbie
Banned
The Alcubierre concept utilizes the gravitic warping of space in such a way as to constrict space in the front of the vessel, and extend or stretch the fabric of space behind the vessel, with propulsive results, producing FTL-speeds without violating Einstein's general law of relativity. The drive-system causes no serious damage to the fabric of space-time as any distortion it causes as the ship travels through is reversed and undone as the ship passes, restoring space to it's original topography.

Such a design would be highly valuable in a strategic and/or tactical use as it would not be restrained by jump-points allowing captains and tacticians a greater degree of freedom compared to other vessels, and and would not be succeptible to the majority of the run-away acceleration used in the D-drive (The drive mechanism works as long as power is flowing to it, if power was cut, the ship would instantly slow down to whatever velocity it was traveling at prior to engaging the FTL-Drive)

The simplest overall configuration for such a design would consist of a slightly blunt-tailed teardrop shape with an annular-ring around the widest section of the ship with pylons connecting the annular-ring to the hull.

The two issues primarily required to allow such a design to work would be the ability to produce the sheer amount of power necessary to distort space to the degree necessary to produce desired propulsive results, let alone FTL-velocities, and the effects of red/blue-shift effects as the doppler effect would subject the forward part of the ship to intensely high radiation, heating and potential damage.

The first issue would be dealt with by using a miniaturized arrayed-power generation system based largely on the TCS-Behemoth, with zero-point quantum-energy boosting to augment the primary reactor power to allow a semi-reasonable reactor-size for the amount of velocity demanded from the vessel.

The second issue would include a number of technologies, including...
-Energy reflection: The hull would feature a multi-layer thermal-coat which is designed to largely reflect radiation back into space in the way a mirror reflects light. Additionally, a type of meson shielding which would provide reflecting power (In addition to energy attenuation and cancellation as mesons break down from matter to energy; in the matter stage they could absorb some heat, in the energy stage the energy frequency could be regulated to operate out of phase with some of the approaching radiation, nullifying it)
-Translight-Energy Radiation: Some of the energy could be absorbed and re-radiated in the form of translight-energy, much like that used in FTL transmissions, w hich could be used to energize plasma long distances ahead of the spacecraft.
-Magnetohydrodynamics: The ship would use highly efficient, but otherwise standard-bussard ramscoops while at sublight for refuelling, and maneuvering, it also has a very high-speed setting which allows for small maneuvers at very high velocities. At warp the ship's standard bussard-ramscoops run at minimum power, and a special bussard-collectors located at the front of the annular FTL-drive-ring are used. It would use some translight energy, and otherwise standard old magnetic fields to essentially pool up a whole bunch of hydrogen around the front of the ship, translight energy in addition to redshifting effects energize the flow. The flow can actually be persuaded to even vibrate at certain frequencies at certain distances from the ship. This would actually act like a navigational deflector, burning up and vibrating apart various objects which would pose a threat to the ship typically speaking. The plasma flow would be directed in precise flowpaths into the required bussard-collectors, with powerful magnetic-fields cancelling out the thermal energy as it enters the bussard collectors, some of the magnetohydrodynamic thermal cancellation could be used used particularly to cancel out a lot of energy from the plasma located furthest out from the center of the stream to reduce the odds of the intense heat from being as easily detected.

(Sound complicated, but magnetohydrodynamic technology has been used to essentially use energy to negate the effects of a hot gas, resulting in cold plasma... the idea had appealed a lot to the russians as the design would work like a perfect air-inlet at supersonic or even hypersonic flight, additionally as the cold-plasma effect does result in a temperature loss, a turbojet could operate in speeds that would normally require a ramjet -- I would assume WC already uses magnetohydrodynamic technology to deal with cooling off the hydrogen stream as the amount of hydrogen necessary to make a ship behave like it was flying through air would be massive, and with such compression and high speed, it would be nearly at fusion temperatures -- particularly during maneuvers)

Even despite the voracious amount of energy the vessel's engines would be liable to consume, the amount of flow taken in through the bussard-ramscoops should be plenty sufficient to run on a hydrogen surplus. In fact the ships anti-matter converters should be able to churn enough anti-matter out to avoid a defecit on that area either, which may enable it to even refuel other ships in the area. One would hopefully assume the crew would simply disengage the matter to anti-matter converter once it was topping off. The ship would feature a series of bypass vents on the back of the FTL-Annulus to simply discharge large amounts of hydrogen to avoid surging the tanks.

Considering the vessel, overall, would be required to fly in such inhospitable and austere environments because of the effects of red-shift, or more accurately, blue-shift would require it be designed with elaborate redundancies, back-ups, fail-safes, and a lot of automation to make small adjustments and assist the crew. Human factors would be a highly-important area to focus on.

BASIC DESIGN

Overall, the vessel would look more or less like a slightly blunt-tailed tear-drop with with the FTL annular-ring engine-drive wrapped around the widest portion of the hull with three thick pylons connecting them to the hull, with the hull and the pylons blended together to provide structural redundancy. Between four to six sublight engines would be mounted on the tail of the ship with four small retro-thrusters configured two atop, and two a-bottom. The weather-bridge would essentially be a retractible piece that could be extended at sublight speeds, but for most purposes would remain retracted. The primary-bridge would essentially be the vessels CIC.

Lengthwise, the ship would be approximately 250 to 350 meters, with a crew anywhere between 8 and 36 depending on a number of variables. Overall mass would be between 8,000 and 12,000 metric-tonnes.

In regards to overall sublight speed, the vessel would be designed for speed even in sublight modes as it would likely be used as a quick-strike design. The overall engines would primarily be a tritium/deuterium fusion type design, additionally utilizing small amounts of helium to carbon fusion "boost" which would allow a smaller, more fuel-efficient engine of roughly the same power as before, if not more. Capitalizing on some engine design technology obtained through the Hades class, a larger vessel with actually a lower thrust/weight ratio, speeds exceeding 350 kps would be highly probable. Acceleration would likely be at least 55 k/s^2 which is about right for ships of 2680-era design.

I'm unsure about what else, still I'd like to hear what you guys think, however any pointers if you have any would be appreciated

Anyone have any suggestions as to what armament it should carry? Obviously, I was thinking of it operating as a torpedo platform. To me six angled tubes sounds like a good set-up... either outward canted like a V or like a cone would give it some side shooting capacity and forward as well.

Turret wise, I was thinking of three laser-turrets forward arranged one on top, two on the bottom at 60-degree angles from the center of the ship (like a triangle), and two turrets aft, one up top, and one on the bottom?

Victoria Kent

Hell... That's amazing... How did you come up with that?

I think a crew of 15 would be good enough for it; any more would be wasting space and supplies, right?

The aft defense should be better, if not with more turrets, maybe with batter guns... Maybe a missile turret for self defense... Anti-fighter

I don't even know what to add... Maybe delete the weather bridge... Just keep the CIC

How many torps would it have?

Houkiboshi,

The basic shape of the vessel was more or less what I saw in a popular-science article once. The concept was called the induction-ring. The drive more or less relied upon Miguel Alcubierre's theories. The blending of the pylon with the structure was more of an aesthetic characteristic which would give it a slicker aerodynamic look.

Regarding the stuff on magnetohydrodynamics, I'm an aviation buff and I remember reading some stuff about how such technology could be used to lower air temperatures of airflow entering the engine, allowing turbojets to work at speeds that ramjets previously were only capable of, they could be used to weaken shockwaves, present in both inlets and the aircraft overall drastically improving inlet efficiency, and reducing airframe drag considerably. They could even be used to perfectly slow the air down to ideal speed for the engines acting as a perfect inlet, reducing the need for a far more complex conventional design.

Interestingly scifi-writers and such often don't truly factor in the red-shift issue, the faster you close in on an object the light-waves become compressed, as you travel further away, the waves stretch. The effect is that stars become bluer as you get closer, and redder when you move away. Considering this vessel's FTL speeds would be astounding, stars that are normally so dull as to be invisible, would seem brighter and would appear as red dots, the white stars would become blue and violet, and the blue stars would become ultra-violet, etc... eventually the whole front of the ship would be inundated with radiation. It sounded like a good idea to use a heat-shield/reflector, use the plasma flowing into the ramscoops to absorb the excess heat, then use that energy to work as a shield against objects in the ships way, and use various means to cancel out excessive energy. Otherwise the ship would probably be vaporized before it achieved any significant FTL-speed.

Defense wise, I initialy was considering two small AMG's up front (very small calibur) - one up, one below, to help with it's quick-strike capability, with three lasers in the back - one up top, two on the bottom, but I figured it would sound excessive (It's not realistic to design a ship to be perfect in every way) A missile turret does sound like a good idea, I'm thinking a gatling-launch tube (more important to spray down torpedoes than fighters, particularly when most fighters can't get through phase-shields)

I figured the weather-bridge would be useful for the traditionalist-type who want an old fasioned weather bridge. Plus most ships in WC have conning-towers. The ship could do without it just fine.

I really don't know how many torpedoes it would have. I have no frame of reference... it doesn't say how much torpedoes an Exeter, or a Durango, or a Gilgamesh actually carry -- there have been hints as to the number of *tubes* they have, but actually no reference as to how many torpedoes are stored in the magazines.

Anyone have a guesstimate?

Victoria Kent

To Houkiboshi,
A crew of fifteen would typically have ten on duty and five off at most times. Is that enough?

Nobody has any figure as to how many torpedoes typical classes of capships have?

Vicky Kent

RogueBanshee,

What class of destroyer was that? I never quite figured it out since it wasn't clear in the Novel, but I'd assume it was a Gilgamesh class since that was the popular Destroyer then.

Still, I should note, this ship isn't really a Destroyer per se, it's kind of a new type of ship period.

Even if I know how many torpedo tubes it has, does anybody know how many torpedoes the ships carried, the phase-shield busting weapons themselves? Because I already specified six-torpedo tubes, although that can change.

Victoria Kent

WC3 occurs a few months after BoT and even still Southhamptons aren't a new class of ships when we see them in WC3.

The Destroyers in WC3 are Southhampton Class (Sheffield and Conventry)

Glad they got class names now. I'd be interested to see the source for this though. Untill recently, WC3 destroyers didn't have an official class name, now they are Southampton Class. Also, I was under the assumption that the Victory was a Ranger class ship, now its a Yorktown. What reference material was found for these?

It's from the Arena manual, Star*Soldier. It gives names to all WC 3 classes, to the Armada transports and some other ships.

You don't need the X-Box to read the Arena manual - it's freely downloadable as a PDF. Just search the CIC news.

Technically, I don't know if anyone could 100% confirm or deny what kind of destroyer in particular was used at the Battle of Terra to be honest.

However considering all these older destroyers are around after the BoT, it would be likely that most of the Gilgamesh's were destroyed at the BoT, and in other battles in deep-space leaving the old ones to either be brought out of the mothballs or refurbished to enable them to remain effective in battle.

Vicky Kent

Back