Against All Odds - We need you!

Eder said:
If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't know. Hence, I could have nominated it. That was the whole point of my previous post which you just quoted:

People not being able to mantain their websites properly is not something you can blame on the fan who nominates the outdated website or on the website that's hosting the nominations.

Dude thats because they just changed servers.

You do realize the original nomination was made a while back, right? At this time the adddress may be X, but at the time of the nomination it wasn't.

MajorCamKollent said:
Dude thats because they just changed servers.
For god's sake, learn to fucking read (and punctuate, while we're at it).

That's the second time you've quoted something which I've posted without reading it first. It pisses me off. If you can't read, don't quote my posts.

The nomination was for the WCAAO website, which still exists. Nobody cares wheter the actual RPG moved or changed names or turned into a paradigm shift. Someone nominated a website. Which exists. Hence it's a valid nomination.

Now now, lets stop pouring gasoline on people for a moment and put the matches away. No good will come from it.

Death and Eder are both right. it was the site WCAAO that was nominated. Even now if you go to WCAAO and go to the forums it still leads to the same place.

As I stated to LOAF over AIM, I as one of the GMs for AAO have no problem with the CIC advertising for us. I'd be happy for the publicity and WCAAO does maintain that it is a Wing Commander Game. Prehaps if we had been nominated for fan-project of the year instead of website, it might of been more appropriate.

I really don't want to fan the flames , but...

What is a WCAAO RPG ?

To me a RPG involves a group of people sitting around
with paper , pencils , dice and some books usually well worn books .
Please don't tell me it's just the same thing on computers .
How does it work , what is the time frame , ect. .
If you knew some of those things , I might be intrested in the idea .

So far I'm just amused by the he said he said he ment B.S. .

Wing Commander Against All Odds or WCAAO is a forums based game that takes place in 2568. It puts players in the role of a Confederation Task Force commander who is given missions to perform against the kilrathi. These missions may involve attacking a kilrathi fleet or system, defending a confederation system, covering a planetary assault or evacuation. There are also special operations missions where a player may have only one ship or a small fleet and be tasked with slipping behind enemy lines to gather intel.

Originally we started out with a handful of players in only the Enigma Sector, then as interest grew we added the Vega Sector, Gemini Sector, and now the entire Confederation/Kilrathi front.

In order to play the game, each player creates a character, and requests assignment. They are then assigned to a sector fleet and given a task force to command as well as orders. Players are free to name their ships as long as the name is not taken by another ship in the game, and to decide on the types of fighters on their carriers. A player then creates a thread in the appropriate sector forum where they post their actions. The kilrathi forces then posts a reply to the player describing what the player encounters and what the actions of the kilrathi are. The player and the kilrathi then go back and forth.

In battle, a player posts his actions, such as what his ships are doing in a turn, such as launching fighters, firing weapons. The kilrathi then responds by describing the damage of the player’s attacks as well as describing the kilrathi actions or attacks. The player then describes the damage to his own forces and his next move and it continues back and forth that way. These battles can either be one player versus the kilrathi, or multiple players versus larger kilrathi forces.

There are also other in character forums for players to type communications to other players and request assistance, or to sector command to request resupply, as well as a forum to keep logbooks and record your character’s thoughts on the war.

Other characters in the game, such as Sector Commanders and high command are played by other players. And there is the possibility for transfers to larger fleets and different sectors, as well as promotion as the game expands.

The forums can be found here: http://wcaao.rpwsg.com/board/

Thank you !
That was a simple and concise explanation .

It does however lead me to many more questions .
How is combat decided ? How long are "turns" ?
(i.e. do you have to be on-line "IM-ing" , a day , whenever you next post ?)
Is there a position for a novice in Fleet/Wing tactics ?
To a host of others , is there somewhere I could find these
other than asking here?

Let me see if I can help you with this. Combat is decided by the character you create, the commander of a taskforce. You target the enemy ships by writing it in the post you make. Turns are your posts that you make. But if you want to do a little fiction part while waiting for the Kilrathi player to post you can. Once he Kilrathi player posts you can post your next turn.

So the PC (i.e. Player Character) writes "I send a wing of Broadswords at
this Kilrathi carrier ". The Kilrathi player responds "I deploy my X-type fighters
in a defensive screen " .
PC responds "my Broadswords destroy your fighters and destroy your carrier " .
I seem to be missing a step or two .
That or this shold be called collective day dreaming , not a game .
A game has a method of resolving conflict ,
not just "well my things are better so there !!!!" .
I have no concept {other that provided in this thread }
how this type of RPG works .

Don't be a jerk at the Chat Zone.

Cargoman said:
So the PC (i.e. Player Character) writes "I send a wing of Broadswords at
this Kilrathi carrier ". The Kilrathi player responds "I deploy my X-type fighters
in a defensive screen " .
PC responds "my Broadswords destroy your fighters and destroy your carrier " .
I seem to be missing a step or two .
I have no concept {other that provided in this thread }
how this type of RPG works .

Let me try to make this clearer. The Kilrathi player decides how well the forces do.

Admiral: Send 24 Strike Sabres at the Snakeir II

Then the Kilrathi player responds

8 of the torpedoes make it through the defensive screen of fighters and flak. They hit the hull of CV1 (The Snakeir II) and bring the sheilds down and damage the flight deck.

Then the Kilrathi player will launch a counter attack

Kilrathi Admiral: Send our four Ralathas to attack the Ape heavy cruiser

Then I respond the AMGs, heavy lasers, and torpedoes from the Ralathas hit the Cruiser. The shields went down, the engines went offline, and AMG system was destroyed.

To answer your questions:

1. How is combat/ damage decided: As Cam stated, the GM generally lets the player calculate the damage done to that player’s force and decide how it affects each of the players ships. We do have guidelines though for how much damage should be done and the GM will review the players post, if the player is underreporting his damage the GM may send a private message to the player and discuss the matter with him, or the GM has the option of adding additional damage to the player’s fleet.

The GM will also calculate the damage to the kilrathi forces using these guidelines and post that damage in the Kilrathi forces response. Sometimes the GMs miss things or forget about player actions. If this happens the player can message the GM and let the GM know, the GM will then correct his post.

We also have guidelines for how long it takes to repair damaged ship and ship components.

2. Length of turn: As a forums based game we do not have a set length of turn. Players may respond to the kilrathi forces post within 24 hours or a week. We do try to keep things moving though, and if a player has not posted in awhile, usually over a week, we will send them a private message just to check on them. That way the GMs can adjust the direction of the plot and kilrathi actions based on the number of players who are active.

In combined fleet actions, those involving more than one player, the GMs will allow another player to temporarily make decisions for a player who is absent for an extended period of time in order to prevent the other active players from getting “stuck” having nothing to do while they wait for the other player to post. We will try to ask for permission from the inactive player before we do this though.

3. Do you have to be online?: No you don’t have to be online IM ing when you post. You can log in, make the necessary posts to the forums and then log out. But you don’t have to be online or make your posts at a set time.

4. Is there a position for novices?: We have been starting new players off in the Gemini Sector fleet where they can learn the game and gain experience before being transferred to one of the other sector fleets. The GMs are also more forgiving on a new player in their first battle and generally have the battle favor the confederation player rather than the kilrathi.

When players are ready to move out of the Gemini Sector fleet, or at any time after that, they also have the option of requesting transfer to the Open Exploration Campaign. This is where they are free to move to between sectors and work with forces in any of the front line sectors. They can even try to slip behind the lines and raid kilrathi convoys or bases.

5. The rules thread, which is posted in our orientation forum, may help in answering more of your questions. It can be found here: http://wcaao.rpwsg.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=488

We also have a thread in the same forum outlining the steps to get started.

Thank You very much !

I am sorry if my snide remark caused any offense ,
it was rude to be so flippant to people I was asking for help .
(LOAF thanks for calling me on it .)
It felt as though I was asking" how does an internal combustion engine work ?" ,
and being told " You put gas in and it runs ! "

Now however , thanks to the last two post , I have the information I need .
I simply have to decide if a tactless , blunt , old Army bureaucrat can put up
with a group of young wiper-snappers slinging term I don't understand around
while they fly circles around me .

Thank You again .

Cargoman said:
I am sorry if my snide remark caused any offense ,
it was rude to be so flippant to people I was asking for help .
(LOAF thanks for calling me on it .)
It felt as though I was asking" how does an internal combustion engine work ?" ,
and being told " You put gas in and it runs ! "

Also, while these guys seem to have a fairly solid system of doing this, there are a number of fans out there that certainly do "freestyle role plays." For them it's fun just to talk in-character and it's up to the collective strength of the group to be creative and make it fun.

I read an article in Dragon (TSR) Magazine , I'm thinking maybe
summer of '85 , "There are two types of Gamers" .
The jist of it was people "who game to have an excuse to socalize" ,
and "people who tolerate solcalizing to be able to game" .
Enjoyment in the pass time can only be had if You and your group share
the same out look . Personaly I fall solidly into the second group .
To gather a group togerther at a set time in a set for a few hours ,
to only accomplish a few minutes of role playing drives me nuts .

While a system with a rough framework relying on the honor system
with Admin. oversight seems to me to be a good way to allow the game
to keep moving with minimal delays to play . One I may one day be intersetd
in particapating in , right now I feel to ignorant of the system (*) to get
involved . Again thanks to all you helped spread some light on this new
{to me} verson of my enjoyed pass time .

(*) 1. What the ships are .
2. What they are capable of .
3. How to deploy the various types effectively .
Ect. , Ect. , Ect.
Maybe after I've learned more of WC than just Privateer , I Would
feel comfortable enough to join y'all .

Cargoman said:
I read an article in Dragon (TSR) Magazine , I'm thinking maybe
summer of '85 , "There are two types of Gamers" .
The jist of it was people "who game to have an excuse to socalize" ,
and "people who tolerate solcalizing to be able to game" .
Enjoyment in the pass time can only be had if You and your group share
the same out look . Personaly I fall solidly into the second group .

The article was just exaggering in order to make a point. Most people should fall solidly in the third group: people that both enjoy games and enjoy socializing with people while playing them.

If you're still ensure about what goes on, I'd suggest you go to the Black Lance IRC session this Saturday and just watch.

Yes it was a overly simplistic view of things .
What brought it to mind , was the underlying fact that
for a group to have an enjoyable experience they need
to share expectations of what that experience should be .

Thank you for the invite .

If my Wife's " honey do list " gives me liberty
I might take you up on it .

Back