Against All Odds - We need you!

Look, Jason owns the site, Chirs and myself administer the game. Now I'm rather upset that a thread I started to advertise for new players for the RPG has been hijacked before even one person responded to my advertisment. You want to flame each other, put it in a different thread. Leave this one along for advertising.

Expereince Excietement Danger, Join the Mobile Infantry.

In all seriouness it's a fun game, lets not be jerks to one another

Sylvester said:
Look, Jason owns the site, Chirs and myself administer the game. Now I'm rather upset that a thread I started to advertise for new players for the RPG has been hijacked before even one person responded to my advertisment. You want to flame each other, put it in a different thread. Leave this one along for advertising.

I'm sorry to upset you. To prevent this from happening in the future, I'd be happy to ban your account - that way you won't have to pretend to be a moderator.

Here, here's the original e-mail you idiots sent us:

It's not a joke, and I'll tell you why. The WCAAO server and site are not inherently a Wing Commander creation or community, a trend we've been trying to reverse since we launched the server.

In just two months our server contract expires and the WCAAO domain name will be dropped entirely in favor the RPGAG, Roleplaying Game Action Group. The WCAAO RPG will still remain, as will the Saratoga RPG, but they will be a much smaller part of a much larger RPG based community.

I do object to it being listed as a website, because I believe it falls better into the other category, but I also object to it being listed at all. While I appreciate the publicity as much as the next Server Admin, it is in fact a mis-representation of our purpose and our goal. Something we've had a lot of trouble getting across to people lately.

This has set back months of hard work we've spent on our Forums and through Emails to present the kind of image we want to present both to this community and other communities whose members we draw from.

While I appreciate - in spirit - the attempt to recognize us for our work with Wing Commander, it's really only a small part of what we're doing at our site, and this award comes at a time for us when our non-Wing Commander ventures are already in dire shape precisely because everyone who stumbles by our site is there solely for the Wing Commander name.

So now after this brilliant, amazing display -- easily the most offensive thing I've ever recieved -- you want to spam our message board for new members. And *you're* upset?

Look LOAF, I had no idea that the particular letter in question was even sent to wcnews. There was no communication to Chris or myself regarding any problems between us and the CIC. In fact, I had been told that some of our technical information had been gotten from speaking with you. As far as I'm concerned, Wing Commander AAO by itself is a Wing Commander sim and can be treated as such. In no way do I want to have any problems with the CIC.

I adamently maintain that putting WCAAO in a "best website of the year" award from this community would be same as labeling the CIC as "best fanfiction site of the year" simply because you host the HTL series, even though they exist as a seperate website and project on your server.

Jason_Ryock said:
I adamently maintain that putting WCAAO in a "best website of the year" award from this community would be same as labeling the CIC as "best fanfiction site of the year" simply because you host the HTL series, even though they exist as a seperate website and project on your server.

What the Hell? I mean Isn't the actual RPG "wing commander: against all odds" ? Nobody cares what you call the server. That's where you host it. There must be an obvious, specific WEBSITE on your RPG server that is for "Against All Odds." And that particular forum is what was nominated - not by the CIC I might add - by a fan.

Your analogy is wrong though. This is like nominating the Crius.net fanfiction forum for fanfiction site of the year and trying to discredit it because the CIC hosts it but also hosts patches for secret-ops in the files section.. (not that anyone would nominate it or anything)

I think if you looked at the orginizational structure of our Server you would understand better where the analogy came from, but I doubt any of you were every privy to those outlines, since the only hard copies exist in my posession. You are correct in saying my analogy is wrong, but your analogy is also in correct.

Let's take a close look at http://www.wcaao.com/

- It is a website
- Its name is "Wing Commander: Against All Odds RPG"

Therefore, there's nothing wrong with a fan nominating "Wing Commander: Against All Odds RPG" as best WC website of the year.

The fact that it was nominated doesn't mean there's been a terrible confusion by a fan who actually wanted to nominate something *else* which is now called a different name and hosted by a server that is now called the other thing-which-is-not-a-website's previous name (or whatever nonsense you care to come up with)... the fact that it was nominated means that it was nominated, and that the other thing that now goes by another name, or whatever your point is, wasn't.

The people organizing a fan-nominated voting shouldn't really care if one of the nominated sites isn't an actual RPG anymore or whatever you're trying to tell people. The fact is that there is still a WCAAO website online, which claims to be a WC RPG, and as such it's still liable to be nominated by someone.

If some of your fans don't even know what to nominate, you should spend your time trying to do a better job at mantaining whatever "it" is instead of asking for nominations to be removed.

It's difficult to claim that you "adamently (sic) maintain" this, since earlier in this thread you pretended you hadn't said anything at all. That said, we never doubted you for a minute - I completely understand that you feel yourself all that much better than everyone else.

Look on the bright side, kid: you don't have to worry about the horrible avatar anymore.

How dare the WC community nominate a WC RPG Site for WC site of the year! the world is upside down.

No, no, Ed... that site *might* have secretly been part of the Roleplaying Game Action Group! Which might someday exist and be mentioned at their site! How dare they? No, how dare we for accepting the fan-decided nominations without outlining every possible future!

The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door.

Eh, I don't have anything against the WCAAO RPG other than the former Yellow Arrow being a completely ridiculous person to us. We waited a month to bring this up because we didn't want it to affect the voting... that's how much respect we have for the essentials of the endeavour.

It's just been seething for a while and the idea that now they were advertising here was just too much.

Eder said:
Let's take a close look at http://www.wcaao.com/

- It is a website
- Its name is "Wing Commander: Against All Odds RPG"

Therefore, there's nothing wrong with a fan nominating "Wing Commander: Against All Odds RPG" as best WC website of the year.

The fact that it was nominated doesn't mean there's been a terrible confusion by a fan who actually wanted to nominate something *else* which is now called a different name and hosted by a server that is now called the other thing-which-is-not-a-website's previous name (or whatever nonsense you care to come up with)... the fact that it was nominated means that it was nominated, and that the other thing that now goes by another name, or whatever your point is, wasn't.

The people organizing a fan-nominated voting shouldn't really care if one of the nominated sites isn't an actual RPG anymore or whatever you're trying to tell people. The fact is that there is still a WCAAO website online, which claims to be a WC RPG, and as such it's still liable to be nominated by someone.

If some of your fans don't even know what to nominate, you should spend your time trying to do a better job at mantaining whatever "it" is instead of asking for nominations to be removed.

Actually that is not their site any more.

If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't know. Hence, I could have nominated it. That was the whole point of my previous post which you just quoted:

Eder said:

People not being able to mantain their websites properly is not something you can blame on the fan who nominates the outdated website or on the website that's hosting the nominations.

Back