After KS, how about re-releasing Privateer 1 and 2 for Win 95/98/ME

Darth Roel

Spaceman
Now that Origin has seen there's a market for re-releasing some of it's old gems, shouldn't they also release a Privateer double bill with both games being playable under Windows (so we can stop having to waste time tinkering with those config files, and just play)? Seems like a great idea to me, how 'bout you guys?

Yeah, of course it sounds good, but remember that KS was released back in 1997...

Privateer 1 is a pretty old game, and beyond editions like "CD-ROM classics" I doubt that OSI/EA will re-release a version playable under Windows...

First they should re-release KS, then they should take Privateer P2 Armada and Acadamy and release them all together

When did Origin see a market for older games? KS sold very poorly. Privateer 2 has already been rereleased, fully functional under Windows.

Originally posted by Earthworm
When did Origin see a market for older games? KS sold very poorly. Privateer 2 has already been rereleased, fully functional under Windows.
Not to mention that the original P2 was playable under Windows as well.

Kilrathi Saga required a full development team to make it work in Win95 -- at a fairly high expense. Privateer 1, which is completely incompatible with WIn95, would require even more work...

KS didnt sell that bad,theres a new one on ebay every month..since P2 can run under win9x i guess only a patch is needed for the speed probs on 200+ comps

a sequal 3 threepack with Privteer,Armanda,Academy would be awesome

Oh my! A few KSs sold a month! That'll make 'em happy.

Also, there aren't enough/any people around from when those games were made left at OSI to do any type of re-release (W95 or any other) realistically possible. They just can't support it.

TC

He means that its a high number considering how long ago the game was released and the small percentage of items which are re-sold on ebay.
The thing that bugs me is that there are hundreds of hardcore collectors out there, I'd bet that almost everyone on this chatzone would pay $120+ for updated versions of the old games, especially if they contained some collectors stuff :) Personally if P1 worked under W95 and they got the slowdown procedures working correctly for P2 I would pay atleast $100 for that (bear in mind it'd have to wait until I got the cash bug I payed about $150 for the KS inc shipping)

I personally wouldn't pay too much. After all, I'm a student, I don't have much money :D

However, I DO want WCIV!!! :(

Yes but the W95 version of P2 runs far too fast on my PIII500 and I'm going to upgrade soon so no amount of slowdown utilities will do the trick :(
I still want that PII266 with mpeg2 card so I can play KS with WC2's briefings at the right speed, P2 at the right speed, WCIV DVD etc :)

Yeah, its not exactly an ideal situation to say the least :( I can play the game, its just jerky, like I say theres a reason I want that system :) To play everything perfectly!

Jochen,

You can get P2 Deluxe (which I think has P1 included - not sure about that though) from here :

http://starvector.com/cgi/lp.cgi?14585+home.html

Just do a search for 'privateer'. The price is $39.77, but the good news is that they'll give it to for $24.95, since they promise to match competitor's prices (and CDACCESS do it for $24.95 - but they won't send the box, just the CDs!).

They post internationally, and are good to deal with I've found.

Just a thought I had about the CPU problem ... surely it would be possible to "underclock" your CPU wouldn' it? I mean overclocking is just a case of seetting the right bus speed and multiplier ... in theory you could just set it lower couldn't you? Anyone tried this?

I saw a copy of Deluxe P2 on ebay, which had a photo of the box. I think it was a German version if I remember rightly (it was European anyway), and it was a bigger box than the US one. It had a different colour bar down the right side, showing all the extras it had. I'm pretty sure it had P1 included. Was this a special European release? Was I seeing things? Anyone know?

Originally posted by bw_dave
Just a thought I had about the CPU problem ... surely it would be possible to "underclock" your CPU wouldn' it? I mean overclocking is just a case of seetting the right bus speed and multiplier ... in theory you could just set it lower couldn't you? Anyone tried this?

Don't need to go into so many problems...
Just use programs like MoSlo to slow the games down... :)

Back