Academy Art

I think Lightspeed is right, but I'm not overly sure. I was a little dissapointed in the game I'll say. I was ecpecting something like Starfleet Academy, but it was just a simulator. Oh well, it was gun anyways!

I know it is Lightspeed. ;)

'Tis a bit disappointing, having no real plot to follow, but I suppose you have the freedom to make your own missions. As well the ability as take down phase shielded capships without using torpedos or Maces. :)

[Say, where did you get that story from, Shane? My Academy outline must be incomplete...]

It's in the section of the Academy manual where all the wingmen are described.

I wasn't disappointed in WCA, it was exactly that what I expected. The new ships were cool, the manual was very good (at last! official stats for the Crossbow, Morningstar and Strakha) and the space backgrounds were quite colourful.
What disappointed me a bit was the lack fos ome ships, such as the Gothri or more cap ships (both Kilrathi and Terran) and the lack of speech for your wingmen (but that can be fixed with a file from the CIC).

At the time I remeber people grumbling (imagine that) that WCA should have been included in WC2. They didn';t see it as all that different from the simulator in the bar in WC1. Some people are never happy. I would have like to have flown more Kilrathi ships, but oh well.

Originally posted by Shane
At the time I remeber people grumbling (imagine that) that WCA should have been included in WC2. They didn';t see it as all that different from the simulator in the bar in WC1. Some people are never happy. I would have like to have flown more Kilrathi ships, but oh well.

This was, IIRC, the original plan -- to have Academy as a mission pack you buy for WC2. Sales of computer game addons went down in the early 90's, and most addon's were shelved or converted into full projects (SO3, the second Privateer addon, the Ultima 8 addon and Bioforge Plus were all casualties of this...).

I always thought the add-ons were such a great idea. You didn't have to pay for a full game to get a bunch more missions. Made sense to me, but I'm an outlier :)

I always liked them, too -- but apparently they sell very poorly compared to re-releases (which is why Secret Ops was free, and WCP:G was sold in stores <G> -- but the most famous example is AH-64 Longbow... the Flashpoint: Korea addon bombed, but the Longbow Gold release sold very well.)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

This was, IIRC, the original plan -- to have Academy as a mission pack you buy for WC2. Sales of computer game addons went down in the early 90's, and most addon's were shelved or converted into full projects (SO3, the second Privateer addon, the Ultima 8 addon and Bioforge Plus were all casualties of this...).

SO3??

How far did development get?
Any word on what the storyline entailed? After all, The Jazz plot is over by the end of SO2 and the mandarins are essentialy defeated.
Was it adapted into one of the later WC games (wc3?)?

-AD

It must have already been scrapped by the time SO2 was finished since the ending of SO2 does say "To be continued in WC3" IIRC.

IIRC, three addons were worked on -- but only the first (SO1) and third (became SO2) were released.

LOAF says:
IIRC, three addons were worked on -- but only the first (SO1) and third (became SO2) were released.
Hmm... I too, would kill many to know what was to be in that addon. It was to be in-between SO1 and 2, you say? Most interesting.

I wonder if it would bring a new flyable ship with it like the other two. Maybe that's how the Wraith got into WC: Academy... or maybe not :D

--Eder

Wasn't there a thread a couple of days ago where it went on about Acadamy originally being an add-on for WC2?

Uh, I believe it's this very same thread you're referring to... that's why I suggested that the Wraith might have been the ship planned to go with SO3.

--Eder

D'oh! I knew it'd be something like that. Damn the lack of search functions...

or me even reading down that little bit more :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I always liked them, too -- but apparently they sell very poorly compared to re-releases (which is why Secret Ops was free, and WCP:G was sold in stores <G> -- but the most famous example is AH-64 Longbow... the Flashpoint: Korea addon bombed, but the Longbow Gold release sold very well.)

You and I can spot a good deal, the rest of the world must be made up of idiots :) Actually some days, I wonder...

Originally posted by Eder
I wonder if it would bring a new flyable ship with it like the other two. Maybe that's how the Wraith got into WC: Academy... or maybe not :D

--Eder

Hey, that would make sense (to me at least). :cool:

Sure it does! :cool: Plus, it isn't as sad as thinking that we lost the brand new SO3 ship forever :p

--Eder

Back