Academy Art

An excellent find, LOAF!

Which reminds me, what animation studio did WCA? ::winces::

I believe Universal Cartoon Studios, part of MCA. Those are very nice LOAF. #4 makes me think a bit of the rebel base on Hoth.

I haven't seen much of WCA, so that's what I thought too. Is that a Rapier in the background?

The used a lot of Scimtars in the show, but the back end doesn't look like a scim, looks like the Rapier II from WC2. I thought I saw guns on the front, but after blowing it up (the picture not the ship) and looking closer now I'm not so sure. I watched them all one day a year or so ago. I download them over a couple weeks and watched them in one sitting. They were pretty cool, but in a way they present more continuity problems than the movie. :D

Whoops, I thought I saw a ship which was facing towards the POV. Now I don't know what I see.

I didn't even see that one. Between the two of us we might be able to view the whole picture :) Well, it doesn't look like a scim or Raptor. Considering the show is set just before wc1, I'd say rapier as well, though it looks a bit like a hellcat.

The back end looks like the SWC Rapier's to me, although the nose part looks kind of like a Scim's or a Hellcat's... :confused:

Couldn't it be some pre-WC1 ship? Since there are still so many Scims around in WCA, I think it's possible that there were even older ships still in use...

--Eder

I think it's a WCA style Broadsword (Like the WC2/Privateer version, only longer and flatter).

No rear turret though. there may be one on the side, not sure. I think the two ships two differnt kinds of ship. The one behind the "pillar" I don't think is any kind of bomber. I don't recall any WC Bomber with a canopy that opened. You always entered from underneath.

I assume we're talking about WCATV, I don't recognise half of the fighters, except the obvious ones (scim's, arrow, hellcat, broadsword, dralthi, etc), but I was wondering, the kilrathi have four different fighters, i recongnise the dralthi, and i think the other regular kilrathi ships are salthi's, but what are the other two? the one with three guns could be a jalthi, anyone shed any light on this, also, in invisible enemy, what are the fighters blair and maniac fly towards the end, i don't recognise them.

I remember Dralthis (the Wc1 design), Sarthas, Grikaths, Jalkehis and the cloaked ships (which look like Sarthas) but I don't remember a Salthi.
But my memory is not the best... :)

I'm confused... is WCA only a cartoon? I could have sworn that I once saw someone selling "Wing Commander Academy" on ebay... I thought it was some rare, crap WC game or something.

WCA is both a game and a cartoon series, in order to avoid confusion, we refer to the game as WCA and the cartoon series as WCAtv, the pictures on this thread are backdrops from the cartoon series (WCAtv)

(crap wing commander game?!!! there is no such thing :D )

Ohhh... well then, what is the game about? Just getting through the academy? The thought of it reminds me of the Star Trek Starfleet Academy game.

WCA uses WC2 era ships. You can choose from 4 wingmen, Maniac, Hobbes, Angel and Lightspeed. Lightspeed is a young rookie pilot who doesn't always follow orders but isn't a very good pilot, which is what is supposed to differentaite him from Maniac. In addition to the missions you can design there is the gauntlet. You face waves of usually increasing difficult fighters.

You can fly one new experimental Kilrathi fighter the Jrathek and an experimental version of the Confed Wraith. I had hoped when I first heard about it I would be able to fly any Kilrathi ship, but no such luck.

Lightspeed (I think that was his name, now I'm starting to wonder) was the younger brother of the Colonel who wrote the intro in the WCA manual. I think he was in charge of the acadmey or maybe just flight simulation, it's been a while. His brother actually died, and his hope is that you will be a better wing leader and actually save the kid. Or you'll learn to nbe one so you can save pilots like him in the future. Or something like that.

Back