About Freelancer and stuff

There was a Strike Commander 2 planned once upon a time?? *Throws a nasty glare in EA's general direction*

And WC3/4 for the Saturn... :( (Ok, so the console probably wouldn't have the best controllers, but still...)

I remember playing those on the Saturn, and the 3DO for that matter. (They really weren't THAT bad. I kinda liked 3 for the 3DO, although I never played Super Wing Commander.) But I too must say that Strike Commander 2 would not be their best idea. But then, they killed WC production for the time, so obviously the Execs aren't that intelligent. :D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Why would a forum dedicated to arguing about which kind of space ship is more powerful be "more receptive" to a thread about cancelled Origin games? Don't spam.

I'm not spamming...simply stating the facts. I respect you a great deal LOAF, but with all due respect, it might be beneficial for us all if you checked out the other forums once in a while...

It seems to me that LOAF is quite active at SB, and yes, you did spam. Those are hardly "facts" as LOAF proved. You've been going all over this freaking board making references and posting links to SB, heaven forbid someone should actually call you on that.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. If you want me to stop talking about SB, then fine, I'll stop. (One would think a sig reference would warrent enough, I guess...) What I don't understand is what LOAF 'proved'..

Yes, he's quite active at SB, for a #wingnut Wingnut, or whatver you want to call yourselves...but only in the vs. debates forum, which is the aforementioned 'which kind of space ship is more powerful'. FYI, there is a great deal more to it than that, as 'Big Steve' Garrett explained (calling the Vs. debates the 'sewer line'...and Big Steve is one of the most prominent members...). There's art, story debates (kinda like some kind of strange roleplaying club...), and even a Non-Sci Fi forum where you can talk about anything from what color the sky is to what Queen Elizabeth meant when she said something, to whether polygamous marriges should be legalized.

My reference was to the main forums, or 'Space Battles' forums...I distinctly remember LOAF sparring with one of its members over WC Movie canonity a while back. There you can talk about nearly anything Sci-Fi related (you can even whine about how ITF was cancelled, though it'd prolly get people mad at you". At the moment, the top three debates are:

1. The new iMac,comments?
2. N'Sync doing Episode II
3. Story I'm working on...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a place with nearly unlimited bandwidth (alas, currently threatened, but I digress) that once argued over whether there would be a new Total Annihilation would be more receptive to news about space privateer games. But I guess that's just me.

Don't give us your "What me and the gang did at SpaceBattles today" every three posts, you fruit. Nobody visits the Chat Zone to see you go "And then there was a new thread, and I didn't think LOAF was going to reply, but I was wrong, and he did reply, and then...".

I don't mind "They're talking about WC over at SpaceBattles!" or "SpaceBattles is so great, I wish it would marry me!" and so forth and so on. This is all spamming, but nobody cares and you can do it.

"Hey, I see you're talking about {Topic X} -- I've started a thread about the same thing on SpaceBattles so you can talk about it there!" *does* get on our nerves. And we'll break open your head and eat the sweet innards if you keep doing it.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
They were never released for the Saturn...

True enough, I don't quite know what the hell I was thinking there LOAF. But you might know something for me, what was the differences that "Super Wing Commander" brought? (If any.)

I bought SWC recently, it HEAPS different to wc1, for starters there is brand new CGI, all new voices for WC1, all the ships have been remodelled, and the grphics are like a cross of wc priv and wc armada, the game is AWESOME, i'm runnning it on my pc using Basilisk, a Mac emulator.

Originally posted by Skyfire

True enough, I don't quite know what the hell I was thinking there LOAF. But you might know something for me, what was the differences that "Super Wing Commander" brought? (If any.)

A bunch <G>

Super Wing Commander was basically WC1 redone in 1993 -- so it sports entirely redone Privateer style graphics (new character, ship and location designs). It's got different movies at different points in the game... full speech... and it has another addon, dubbed "SM1.5" in place of where SM2 would be in a DOS/SegaCD/FMTowns WC Deluxe... It's also got added bits of dialogue, designed to prep the player for WC2 (the occasional mention of Tolwyn & stealth fighters).

Not to mention the funny new looks for all the characters. Paladin looks like a space pirate (the eye patch is just boss), Angel and Spirit look a little more exotic and Maniac talks like Jack Nicholson on crack-cocaine.

Not to mention the extremely communist look of the uniform (and boring too... no rank insignia or decorations).

The "scramble," scene was completely redone for the tragically worse. It changes the traditional "running in your flight suit with crew chief and peers," to "running in zero-G with an odd space suit and getting your pressurized parts grafted on via a Terminator production line meets The Centurions and getting your cockpit loaded into the fighter a la SAAB *whew!*."

Also, the Scimitar looks exactly like the Confed Banshee in Armada. The graphics were completely revamped with the occasional CG movie.

I thought the addition of mentioning Tolwyn and the stealth fighers was neat. However, the game scared me. A little too odd....

Thanks LOAF, I may have to bust out my old video game systems, and try to buy that offa Ebay then to check all that out. I'll be able to give my views on Dom's thoughts after I've played it. :)

Originally posted by Skyfire
Thanks LOAF, I may have to bust out my old video game systems, and try to buy that offa Ebay then to check all that out. I'll be able to give my views on Dom's thoughts after I've played it. :)

Awesome! It'd be great to share thoughts & views on SWC. Not too many people have had the pleasure (pain??) of playing it. Also, it seems that Darkmage and LOAF weren't as traumatized by the changes in SWC as I was....

:p

Back