Abalative Armour

The same way you'd clean it off of a desk, a baby robot or a rubber pie -- by taking the key off and wiping it away.

They just pop off... Pry it off with something, or take a pair of pliers, hold on and pull.

TC

No, don't do that, you'll break the locking nut. Most keys twist off now-a-days. Just push down and twist clockwise real hard. (If you don't know which way is clockwise, it means in the direction of the clock.)

Logitech or Microsoft. Don't get any of those silly Belkin dealies, or something even less name-worthy, those will just break.

You can get a nifty cordless mouse/keyboard set from Logitech at Newegg, and it'll arrive fairly fast.

i'm thinking of getting a cordless keyboard and mouse, and a NiVidia GeForce 4, and a new motherboard and processor and more ram and an Audigy souncard and a 5.1 surround speakers and a new lan card and modem, i think i can bear with the shift problem till next year when i get a new com

Originally posted by dacis2
i'm thinking of getting a cordless keyboard and mouse, and a NiVidia GeForce 4, and a new motherboard and processor and more ram and an Audigy souncard and a 5.1 surround speakers and a new lan card and modem, i think i can bear with the shift problem till next year when i get a new com
*drool* :D

Edit: it's nVidia, not NiVidia.

Originally posted by dacis2
If you watch Star Trek, you know what abalative armour is but if you don't...

Ablative armour was originally developed for the USS Defiant; the Borg had proven their ability to penetrate Federation shields with ease during their encounter with the Enterprise at system J-25, and the Defiant designers wanted the ship to have a degree of protection even if the shields should be overcome in the expected future encounters.
The value of the armour was proven when the Defiant came up against Dominion forces. Like the Borg, the Dominion were able to penetrate Federation shielding systems relatively easily in the first years of hostility between the two powers, and the Defiant's ablative armour allowed the ship to withstand attacks that would have otherwise caused significant damage.

Recently there has been a massive revolution in this technology with the appearance of the ablative armour generator. This device was given to the crew of the USS Voyager by a future version of Admiral Janeway, who travelled back in time to the ship in order to assist them in returning home from the Delta Quadrant. The generator involves a series of devices placed onto the hull of a vessel; when activated these replicate a layer of armour over the surface of the ship. The effectiveness of armour is considerable. The system Voyager employed was able to withstand a simultaneous attack by several Borg cubes. One of the most useful features of this system is that as it can be materialised and dematerialised as needed, even weapons systems can be covered over when they are not actually in use. This gives a much greater degree of coverage than any standard armour protection which must leave permanent apetures to operate such systems through.

At time of writing Starfleet had had relatively little time to asses this technology, but the ease with which it was adapted for use on Voyager without spacedock or any outside support indicates that it should be reasonably easy for the remainder of Starfleet's ships to create ablative armour generators for themselves. This should multiply the hull strength of the fleet massively at a single stroke.

From the Daystrom Institute Technical Library
http://www.ditl.org/

So, what good will this do to a Confed ship?
Ok, this is not a versus thread, and thus not in violation of rule #3. To all of you thread killers please don't turn this into a versus thread.

Now, with this technology installed on Confed ships, are torps obselete? As the armour regenerates, the damage caused to the abalative armour is negated. I feel that this also gives a ship higher defence against a weapon that passes through shields.

Thank you for your time.

It will actually *degrade* their defensive abilities.

The batmobile armor (which Graham Kennedy *incorrectly* equates with Defiant-style Ablative Armor) not only is of inferior density to Confed armor, it inhibits shield generation.

It's a bad design and a stupid concept, and only Star Trek would ever dare to have something that dumb in the first place.

It's a bad design and a stupid concept, and only Star Trek would ever dare to have something that dumb in the first place.It's a bad design and a stupid concept, and only Star Trek would ever dare to have something that dumb in the first place.

The USA uses ablative (actually reactive, but it's close enough) armor in our Abrams tanks and those things are almost impossible to kill. And by destroying themselves they'll dissapate whatever energy a warhead has before it hits vital parts of anything. Dumb my ass.

Originally posted by Lunatic

The USA uses ablative (actually reactive, but it's close enough) armor in our Abrams tanks and those things are almost impossible to kill. And by destroying themselves they'll dissapate whatever energy a warhead has before it hits vital parts of anything. Dumb my ass.

The way that the batmobile armor is designed is stupid - it inhibits the other defensive capabilities of the ship that it's mounted on in favor of the "armor" - is stupid. Shields for armor is an incredibly poor trade.

It might be a poor trade if the shields are stronger than the armor, but from the looks of it, that's not the case here.

Originally posted by Forsakken
It might be a poor trade if the shields are stronger than the armor, but from the looks of it, that's not the case here.

Well, that's because Star Trek shields are so damn weak that just about anything would be an improvement. ;)

A way had to be devised to save the hapless peons at the consoles;). It appears that the shields on Voyager channel the energy into the ships structure and dissipate it by generating sparks all over the bridge. Has there ever been an episode where the Voyager, after an attack, did not have sparks shooting out everywhere on the bridge. The Defiants shield system is of even poorer quality. At least peole do not get killed from Voayeger's sparks, but a console has to explode during every battle that the Defiant participates in, killing some unfortunate redshirt (spiritual succesor). Either the shields channel the energy that way, or there it is a stated rule at Paramount.

Its to make things more dramatic, that simple. Its not any statement on the sheild and hull strength of Federation ships.

Back