Abalative Armour

dacis2

Rear Admiral
If you watch Star Trek, you know what abalative armour is but if you don't...

Ablative armour was originally developed for the USS Defiant; the Borg had proven their ability to penetrate Federation shields with ease during their encounter with the Enterprise at system J-25, and the Defiant designers wanted the ship to have a degree of protection even if the shields should be overcome in the expected future encounters.
The value of the armour was proven when the Defiant came up against Dominion forces. Like the Borg, the Dominion were able to penetrate Federation shielding systems relatively easily in the first years of hostility between the two powers, and the Defiant's ablative armour allowed the ship to withstand attacks that would have otherwise caused significant damage.

Recently there has been a massive revolution in this technology with the appearance of the ablative armour generator. This device was given to the crew of the USS Voyager by a future version of Admiral Janeway, who travelled back in time to the ship in order to assist them in returning home from the Delta Quadrant. The generator involves a series of devices placed onto the hull of a vessel; when activated these replicate a layer of armour over the surface of the ship. The effectiveness of armour is considerable. The system Voyager employed was able to withstand a simultaneous attack by several Borg cubes. One of the most useful features of this system is that as it can be materialised and dematerialised as needed, even weapons systems can be covered over when they are not actually in use. This gives a much greater degree of coverage than any standard armour protection which must leave permanent apetures to operate such systems through.

At time of writing Starfleet had had relatively little time to asses this technology, but the ease with which it was adapted for use on Voyager without spacedock or any outside support indicates that it should be reasonably easy for the remainder of Starfleet's ships to create ablative armour generators for themselves. This should multiply the hull strength of the fleet massively at a single stroke.

From the Daystrom Institute Technical Library
http://www.ditl.org/

So, what good will this do to a Confed ship?
Ok, this is not a versus thread, and thus not in violation of rule #3. To all of you thread killers please don't turn this into a versus thread.

Now, with this technology installed on Confed ships, are torps obselete? As the armour regenerates, the damage caused to the abalative armour is negated. I feel that this also gives a ship higher defence against a weapon that passes through shields.

Thank you for your time.

Ablative Armour

Hi,

If the ablative armour was like todays (which is usually mounted on Tanks, APC`s etc) it would only protect the ship from a few more hits. If it could regenerate, then it would be fairly useful, but I don't remember seeing anything in WC that would suggest that they have the technology for this sort of thing (At least during the 2654-2681 period). If they do, I would suggest that it would be more useful for Capital ships than Fighters.

Cheers

Aw cmon! can't you just think of some practical application in Wing Commander??!! Anyway, please answer my question.

Although I think this idea offensive here my thought:
It'd make a ship quite invincible against smaller weapons, that only damage the armour, since their effect would be negated immediately. Against larger weapons though, like torpedoes, it wouldn't be as effective, since such big wepaopns tend not to damage but to breach the armour and then cause heavy internal damage which can't be repaired by this thinge, can it?

Originally posted by dacis2
Aw cmon! can't you just think of some practical application in Wing Commander??!! Anyway, please answer my question.

If your question is whether it would make a torp obsolete, I'd have to disagree. The torpedo has so much penetration power, that all you had to do in WC2 was get 2 hits in and even the largest cap ships were fried. In WC3, if you weakened the shields of a cap ship then let go a torpedo, it would only take 1. This penetration power could "in theory" out replicate the armor.

I'd say the ablative armor would have a reverse effect, make a heavier dependence on torpedoes, albeit maybe some stronger ones (Maybe start using the WCA cartoon tactic of launching more than one torp at a time, though that never seemed to work in WC3). If you can't use a torpedo, what are you gonna use, particle weapons? Missles? The only thing left stronger than a torp would be cap ship particle weapons and cap ship torpedoes. If that was the case, not only would torps be obsolete, but fighters would be obsolete as well. :(

Overall I'd say that ablative armor would not be a very good (and definitely not very fun) addition to the WC universe.

If Wing Commander ships had more armor, they would be better armored. It's not really a Wing Commander style technology, though -- just like Wing Commander's armor physical armor plates aren't something you find much on Star Trek. Mixing them up doesn't make sense...

Since this Abalative armour sounds a lot like a reactive shield layer or something (since it apparently can regenerate and be moved), wouldn't the torps just be able to penetrate that as well? If I remember correctly, doesn't the lock mean that the system has found the shield frequency and is now able to penetrate it? (Or am I confusing multiple games like ST/WC/Starlancer?)

ablative armor is when there are 2 pieces of armor with a small scale bomb inbetween when the bomb is expolded (by something hitting the outer armor) the outer peice jumps away from the hull thus diverting the hit to it instead of to the hull

Abalative armour: a layer of synthetic armour twice the strength of durasteel. Abalative Armour generators are placed on the hull, when activated, they replicate a layer of armour, the thickness is dependant on the number and power of the generators. The thickness can also be moved around, for example to a point where there is an incoming torpedo.

Originally posted by Ringtail
That sounds more like explosive reactive armor.

that is correct. that is the ERA that is employed on ex-soviet tanks to combat HEAT rounds.

But the shields on the capital ships in Wc4, and probably after that, recharged so quickly when compared to Star Trek shields that there really is not much point in additional armor.

This device was given to the crew of the USS Voyager by a future version of Admiral Janeway, who travelled back in time to the ship in order to assist them in returning home from the Delta Quadrant.

Its stuff like this that annoys me. If she can go back in time to help out her mates, why doesn't she just inform them of that wave thing, which threw them into the Delta Quadrant? :rolleyes:

Anyways the ablative armour would simply provide extra defense for a capship. I think its greatest use could be for patching hull breaches. Alternatively if this stuff can be placed and removed at will they could even use it to seal off open hangar bays. But the others are right - it would definitely lead to torps with bigger warheads, thus limiting the effective gain.

Oh yeah - why the hell does everyone in Starfleet become an admiral? Kirk, Riker, Picard and now Janeway?

Star Trek Voyager, with all their super powerful crap( invented by one little crew) and nonsensical episodes, annoys me all together.

Unless the shields generators were destroyed, the shields would handle a breach just fine. Yeah, Ablative armor could still be usefull, but unless you had an ablative ship, a torp of sufficient power will still be a problem. Even if the armor repaired itself, the torp's till going to damage some internal components. The armor is only useful if the weapon is to weak get past the armor in one hit. Anyways, I think by the time of P/So, the armor alone is pretty much invulnerable to most fighter size weapons. That is why you can only destroy specific componets and take out the engines in order to take out the ship.

Re: Re: Abalative Armour

Originally posted by Penguin

Oh yeah - why the hell does everyone in Starfleet become an admiral? Kirk, Riker, Picard and now Janeway?

Just the Chain of Command. There comes a point where you can decide that you would be more beneficial to your organization prosiding over the "large scale action". There are some people though who just need to stay a captain forever. Picard would have been more effective as an admiral. Kirk, Riker (whom I usually see as the same "cookie cutter" character), and Janeway should always remain as captains. Their skills are better suited for star ship operation (the tenacity, the personability, the siuation assesment. Though Janeway wouldn't make a bad admiral, she would be kindof "iffy").

Ah, I see. But if this is the case for the armour, I'd agree that it would only lead to more powerful devices to counteract this extra defense. Although if used for breaches, and containment, it might be a good idea...

Could you guys stop mentioning Star Trek and keep to the Technology? do you realise that this will probably get the thread closed if you continue to do so? and if you want it closed, just say so!

Could you guys stop mentioning Star Trek and keep to the Technology? do you realise that this will probably get the thread closed if you continue to do so? and if you want it closed, just say so!

Sorry, dude, guess I should have mentioned the Tolwyn tie in I was going to add in that post but never got around to it . . .

Back