A WC tabletop miniature wargame: would you play it?

Would you buy a WC-inspired model wargame?

• Yes, absolutely!

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Maybe, if it was well made and true to the background

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No, WC wouldn't work in a Wargame

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • WARGAMES BLOW ***!

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Note that I'm not spamming, I've just got loads on my chest. :p )

Well? Many of you have probably heard of stuff like Warhammer, Battletech, et. al. They've got one going for Babylon 5. (http://www.agentsofgaming.com) So, if they made a miniatures game that wasn't TOO hard to use (without being overly simplistic), followed the background and "rules" of WC-style space combat, and came from a company that didn't wildly overcharge for the models (like Games Workshop does for Warhammer, I should know) would you get it? I would: painting your own squadrons and cap ships - plus being able to play in the WC universe whenever I wanted, even during a power outage - would be great. No mods or modems needed, either.

Please also note I don't WORK for a wargaming company - I'm just a drooling-at-the-mouth fan. :D

I'm not gonna answer this one, none of the answers really fit what I think of it :)

I think the idea is great, a WC inspired citadel game would be awesome - I still have the old Hero Quest and Space Crusade board games sitting in the cupboard just here (been thinking of selling them actually) - but they just aren't my thing anymore. Board games are well... boring now... you really gotta have dedicated players for them to be any fun. Unfortunately, none of my friends ever were, so I never really got to play any decent games.
That wouldn't be any different now. Even if I did buy them, all they would do is just sit there - my painting skills are far from the examples they put on the boxes (Sure, my Space Crusade dreadnaught looks awesome, but that's about the only one that does :)

I would certainly buy it, like I did with the CCG and I would surely play it for a couple of times to try it out. But if it's a bad game, I wouldn't play it just because it's WC related.

Actually

Hi, I'm new here. I just thought I'd post and say that I have been working on creating Wing Commander ships for the aformentioned Babylon 5 game.

Check it out at My site

About Tabletop game...

BTW ':D' I have made wc tabletop strategy game
myself and it has been playtested a bit. It was
developed from AD2300 Traveller role-playing games
space combat rules.
With the rules i was able to play with WC1 and WC2 ships but laiter ships would need more work so i quit developement but i still
have core rules in my hard drive. Too bad they
are in finnish, but i could translate them
to english and post here. Interested?

Originally posted by Supdon3
Plus I'd love to have minuratures of the WC ships.
I'm sure anyone would... :cool:

Lorien: sounds like a nice work! :)

Rami Sihvo: that would be great!

Lorien: the only problem with B5Wars is that it's very complicated, and the weapons don't translate easily to the WC universe (I think.) No, I might start developing my own system, and throw out bits to see what you guys think.

Rami: I'd love to see them.

OK, no offence, but...

*bump*

If this still doesn't get any more replies, I'll leave it alone.

Any more thoughts on the idea?

Here's a few more of my beans:

Firstly, another reason I rejected a B5Wars mod is the scale problem they have. They use a Hex system, and a battlecruiser takes up the same size hex as a fighter. :confused:

However, there's something else: one of the things that always swung battles was pilot skill level. I'd like to try and get that into the game.

YES, I actually am going to write up some prototype, basic rules and ask you guys to help.

Seeing as how I'm doing that, another large obstacle presents itself: SHIP TOUGHNESS. One of the biggest gaps in WC continuity is the change between WC2-WC3 (and to a lesser extent WC4-WCP.) If the WC2 values are right, then a "modern" tachyon cannon could run a Broadsword through with one hit. :eek: It could be argued that a major leap in armoring was made from WC2-WC3, but the thing is, armor was in the double-digits for fighters up until WC:Armada! That would mean that the leap was made IN A SINGLE YEAR! How should this be treated? Should the older ships have their stats arbitrarily increased (Pirates could use older ships, or it could be an early battle of the Kilrathi-Terran war.)

Well?

Aahh... LOAF has an excellent explanation for the "technology leap" you describe...

It's so excellent I can't remember it right now :D , but wait for his response...

The armour values are given as the depth of durasteel that could take the equivilant amount of damage . A better material was developed and put into common usage, explaining the jump in armor strength.

TC

Isn't it fair to assume then, that the weapons and guns penetration also significantly increased?

Originally posted by SpacedOutDragon

Here's a few more of my beans:

Firstly, another reason I rejected a B5Wars mod is the scale problem they have. They use a Hex system, and a battlecruiser takes up the same size hex as a fighter. :confused:

I used hex system too, i had solid board ships and
fighters were just smaller. Multiply fighters could occupy same hexes and so on...
You could use also Babylon Project role-playing
games battle rules as a core. In BP there is
no hex and they have twelve clock headings wich
to move.

However, there's something else: one of the things that always swung battles was pilot skill level. I'd like to try and get that into the game.

in my game pilots skill level was a firing modifier and when doing evasive maneuvers it
was subtracted from enemys firing skill.

YES, I actually am going to write up some prototype, basic rules and ask you guys to help.

Well, it will take quite a time to translate
my game so its probably good idea. By all means
you can take ideas from my game.

Seeing as how I'm doing that, another large obstacle presents itself: SHIP TOUGHNESS. One of the biggest gaps in WC continuity is the change between WC2-WC3 (and to a lesser extent WC4-WCP.) If the WC2 values are right, then a "modern" tachyon cannon could run a Broadsword through with one hit. :eek: It could be argued that a major leap in armoring was made from WC2-WC3, but the thing is, armor was in the double-digits for fighters up until WC:Armada! That would mean that the leap was made IN A SINGLE YEAR! How should this be treated? Should the older ships have their stats arbitrarily increased (Pirates could use older ships, or it could be an early battle of the Kilrathi-Terran war.)

Well?

Yeah, i had that problem too. I just didn´t try
to make game compatible for wc3+ ships. I think
that WC3+ ships could be "downgraded" beacuse
fighters weapons and shields would
be improved over time so the gap between
ships wouldnt be so great.

Yeah, i had that problem too. I just didn´t try to make game compatible for wc3+ ships. I think that WC3+ ships could be "downgraded" beacuse fighters weapons and shields would be improved over time so the gap between ships wouldnt be so great.

I'm actually going to take the OPPOSITE route: for some ships (unless you're fighting a early T-K war conflict), the armor and "structure" values are going to be bumped up significantly. There WILL be a system to it, don't worry... if you want to take "old" ships up against the Bugs for example, from a fluff (background, for the uninitiated :p ) standpoint, it can be assumed that Confed is pulling out every damn ship in mothballs to meet the crisis.

Also, I actually am going to go for a hex system probably; I'll just make sure the big tubs take up a representative amount of space.

dude, even attempting to make a tabletop version of WC is a tough process so kudos and more power to ya. Now here is the really important question. Miniatures. I don't think WC with a checker labelled "Arrow" or "Hornet" would be as cool as actually having one.

Too bad Micromachines didn't make WC ships like they did star wars ones.

It seems like a tachyon cannon can run a number of Nephilim or Kilrathi ships through in one hit, so I don't really see why it couldn't do a number on a Broadsword, especially an unshielded one.

As for a wargame, I'd be interested in the minatures alone, or any sort of model, really (screw the wargame!). I'm too lazy to make my own, but I'd happily glue and paint together a plastic model kit. (Then again, the last time I put together a plastic model kit, it turned into a puddle of plastic glue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back