A way to prevent the Kilrathi invasion?

Spien said:
Wouldn't thousands of fake ships just be a huge waste of resources that could be used to build hundreds of real ones in the same ammount of time?

If they were just shells, it wouldn't take as long to do one fake carrier as it would one real one... but the game would be up the first time the Kilrathi tested the Confederation defenses.

this thread reminds me of the reason why women should not be let anywhere near the military.

(then again, a fair few i know would make decent fodder - which is what the common grunt is all about i s'pose)

the only thing more distressing about this "idea", is that you didnt instantly shoot it down.

this thread reminds me of the reason why women should not be let anywhere near the military.

Good job! I hereby officially certify that you have helped the Wing Commander Combat Information Center's Wing Commander Forums (aka Chat Zone) reach a certified new low! You stand alongside the true greats of history, like Preacher and that guy who used the forum to advertise his rap album.

Ijuin said:
The main reason that there was no military buildup in the time leading up to the attack on MacAulliffe is because the leaders of the Confederation government thought that it wasn't needed. At the beginning of Action Stations there is quite a bit about how the Senate is cutting the defense budget to the point where Confleet not only can't afford new fighters, but they can't even afford to overhaul their old ones.

Nevermind fighters, most of the fleet stationed at McAuliffe spent most of their time on downtime docked to Alexandria. Some of the ships were unable to operate as they lacked the spare parts to maintain them.

Everyone's favorite politician Senator Moore can be attributed for atleast causing some of the early delays to the confed war effort (although once it was on, he became one of the biggest hawks). He held up the wildcat upgrade package in committee because he wanted the facility built on his planet on property owned by some close friends.

The new Corsair fighter was also delayed by Moore's actions. Also, the fact that confed lacked the shipbuilding capability to quickly build capships for war. Tolwyn speaks to Bainbridge about this in FA when he says something along the lines of, "We weren't ready for this war. We didn't have the shipyards available to match the kilrathi. It takes 10 years to build a yard and then 5 years to build a carrier..."

wankski said:

(then again, a fair few i know would make decent fodder - which is what the common grunt is all about i s'pose)

the only thing more distressing about this "idea", is that you didnt instantly shoot it down.

What part of 'sarcasm' or 'mockery' did you fail to get? Or did posts like 'Heck, the first time the Kilrathi invaded a system, the gig would be up' kinda slip under the radar?

By the way, what does that have to do with women in the military? By the time they get to the front lines, they'd be trained up... and if they're in logistics, then they're not planning tactics or strategy, now are they? To think I didn't think things could get even lower than some of the claims in the Book thread... :rolleyes:

Haesslich said:
What part of 'sarcasm' or 'mockery' did you fail to get? Or did posts like 'Heck, the first time the Kilrathi invaded a system, the gig would be up' kinda slip under the radar?

To think I didn't think things could get even lower than some of the claims in the Book thread... :rolleyes:

i meant that to be directed to the original poster, PenderMillsap. Surprised he didnt shoot it down when she said it to him at work...

book thread? not familar ...

Bandit LOAF said:
Good job! I hereby officially certify that you have helped the Wing Commander Combat Information Center's Wing Commander Forums (aka Chat Zone) reach a certified new low! You stand alongside the true greats of history, like Preacher and that guy who used the forum to advertise his rap album.

YEAH baby !! thanks loaf !

(i had no idea you were so liberally-minded and PC... duly noted !)

Actually Death, Super Polymer Missiles wasn't my idea...I just posted it here as a warning to eveyone who wasted hours of replies to the Super Polymer Missile thread.

Because frankly, I think the Super Polymer Missile idea was more original then this one...

recall that the confederation senate is comprised of penny pinching tightwads that wanted to downsize the space navy as it was before the start of the war

I was cuncurring with Ryock that whatever it was that started this thread momentarily reminded me of whoever that person was that made us all laugh so damn hard way back when. No hijacking intended. Sorry. Carry on.

PenderMillsap said:
What kind of missile is that? What are they? How do they work? I never seen any of those in any of the Wing Commander games. In what missions are they available and in which of the Wing Commander games can they be found in?

You can find them in Privateer 3. They're a generic missile you can buy to outfit your ship with.

wankski said:
this thread reminds me of the reason why women should not be let anywhere near the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=military&v=56">military</a>.

You remind me of mister Bloom (british repesentant from a conservativ party), and what he said in the EU cuniciol, realy silly, especialy what he said afterwards "it was just to mark another point"

to be honest pretty much nothing was going to stop the invasion the Kilrathi mindset is to kill that which is a threat to you or is by far weaker than you

Actually, if Confed had developed that jump point cloaking technology, they could have just cloaked all the points and maybe the Kilrathi would have never noticed that humanity existed. Although I'm of the opinion that if the Kilrathi didn't invade first, the humans would have done so eventually. The Confederation as we know it has never been particularly peace-loving... (that would make for boring games!)

The Confederation as we know it has only been seen in wartime or in crisis situations. WC1-3, Priv, and Armada all take place during the Kilrathi War. WC4 was sparked by a Tolwyn-gone-man. In Prophecy, we see preparations for eventual defense sparked by growing unrest within the Kilrathi remnants and then an invasion by a very powerful force.

The *only* time we see Confed in a peace-time situation is during Action Stations, and even then, there is a great deal of stress with the Kilrathi Empire, which the Kilrathi then escalate into a war.

This is without going into the movie's Pilgram Wars, which I neither know about in detail or care that much about. That's the only case you can make for anything resembling Confed aggression. Even False Colors doesn't show Confed all that well, as Bellisarius is manipulating the situation.

GeeBot said:
Actually, if Confed had developed that jump point cloaking technology, they could have just cloaked all the points and maybe the Kilrathi would have never noticed that humanity existed. Although I'm of the opinion that if the Kilrathi didn't invade first, the humans would have done so eventually. The Confederation as we know it has never been particularly peace-loving... (that would make for boring games!)

Confed was very far behind the kilrathi in terms of cloaking technology. The kilrathi had an early mastery of the technology and it wasn't until 2669 and the excalibur and shroud device that confed had a useful cloak, although the shroud wasn't able to hide the visible spectrum so visual sightings were possible.

To our credit, once we got going with the technology we pretty much did in cloaking entirely. Between confirming that the Strakha existed in 2667 and the end of the war, the Confederation had built their own sensor cloak (Shroud), their own full cloak (Blackfish) and developed technology that would ultimately render cloaking useless in the first place (anti-cloaking gun and then the sensors on the Lance).

Back