A discussion on the true nature of the Nephilim

If IIRC there is one map, the one who comes with WCP... and the name is [/b]Wing Commander Universe Map [/b]

Oh, I see. Thought you meant the map for the game Darkmage's making.

In any case...er...look at my last post. :)

The map for WCP is set in the time of WCP... makes sense :). The Treaty of Torgo was nowhere near as harsh as Versailles, primarily to give the Kilrathi no reason to complain (ref: False Colors). Notice that even things which we know were a part of the Treaty, like dismantling of capital ships (ref: WC4) were not enforced by the Confederation.
As for Ghorah Khar, Natanya, Shariha and K'arakh, I used to wonder about that too. It makes sense, though. The Kilrathi didn't really want to join the Confederation - they just needed an ally in their struggle against the Empire (ref: Freedom Flight). And, since planets are free to leave the Confederation if they choose to do so (ref: WC4), it makes sense that the four Rebel systems would join the new Kilrathi Assembly of Clans. Of course, I would imagine that they get raided by their neighbours as much as Confed does, since they are strictly speaking traitors :).

Whenever Thrakhath ejects the Kilrathi Empire was the most formidable power in known space. How was he to know Blair was going to flush it all away?

Nephilim is a reference to 'giants in the earth.' The WCP manual states this.

Incidentally I'd be afraid of a Tarantula class heavy fighter or a Locust class medium fighter. :eek:

Ehh, well, Tarantula class heavy fighters sound nasty, but Locust class... I'd only be afraid if there was a whole swarm of Locust class medium fighters :).

Originally posted by Quarto
Ehh, well, Tarantula class heavy fighters sound nasty, but Locust class... I'd only be afraid if there was a whole swarm of Locust class medium fighters :).

As per WC tradition we shall always be outnumbered at each navpoint. So be afraid...

That brings up an interesting point. What would you prefer, to have to fight through a whole slew of enemies thus creating a challenge, or would you like to fly against an equal number of foes who are really good and you have a fifty fifty chance of surviving, much like in real life (of course i mean at the time when dogfighting occured, not when a missile was fired from a hundred miles away)

I wanna see if i can take on an equal. Of course slews are fun too.

I think those two extremes are represented fairly well in WC4 and WCP.

That Kilrathi fleet at the start of WCP... what was it doing? That seems to be too big a fleet for mere raiders or pirates.

Originally posted by Ghost
Is the WCU map placed before or after the war,if after the cats have a lot of system even the ones with human names and 3 or 4 in Enigma sector,you dont give to your enemy a lot of system and resources to build a new armada in months or few years (remember the Treaty of Versailles)

Versailles was actually a very harsh treaty, meant to ensure that Germany would never be a threat to the the victorious Allies ever again. Germany was stripped of a lot of her border territories, forced to pay massive reparations, and had her armed forces cut to the bone. (The reason Germany was able to rebuild was that the Allies didn't encorce the treaty in the early to mid 1930s.) As mentioned in FC, Confed was being very carefull not to seem to be imposing a punitive treat on the Kilrathi. I doubt they would have followed the Versailles model.

Best, Raptor

The Kilrathi are allowed to build more ships -- they had to dismantle all their war-era stuff, though.

The base in the WCP manual was a pirate base...it was just a massive one, probably the hub of illegal activities in that sector.

Now, why those pirate forces didn't attack the Devareaux (SIC, probably...) is another matter...

Because a science ship doesn't really have many gold dabloons on it? Or because Devereaux had just gotten there <G>?

Did it just get there? I thought the jump point into Kilrah was a bit further out from the planet...

If I were the top pirates in the sector, I'd stay on top of things. Those jump drives aren't cheap...

If I were the top pirates in a sector, I'd try to not attack Confed ships, since that normally involves the Midway coming and kicking your ass.

TC

Firstoff, they weren't pirates -- they were hidden zealots... the Kilrah system had other, 'real' bases, too... the Sivarists didn't own it.

Second, Kilrah has mini-jumps <G>

But they weren't pirates, they were Sivarists...

And how long did it take Midway to get to Kilrah? Admittedly, they were a little hung up, but I think destroying a lightly armed Confed vessel and then evacuating is probably better than letting a vessel with lots of sensors get information on your whole operation...

Ehh, you've completely lost me.

There were a number of settlements in the Kilrah system... a Sivarist Monestary, an Astronomical Station, four Confed surveillance bases, a Kilrathi colony and a secret smuggler base that no one knew about.

The Nephilim attacked the system and destroyed all of these things, as well as the TCS Devereaux.

Why would the secret smuggling base identify itself and attack the Devereaux?

Raptor: What if the allies had enforced the Versailles Treaty. Would WWII have started?

Nep Parth: I'm sure the pirates know how to hide from scientists. Besides a Confed response would be swift.

Begin Quote:

1441 Confed Astronomical Station K-105 picks up unidentified energy surge near Kilrah Prime. Surge is identified as an equipment malfunction or the reflection of a solar flare.

2025 Devereaux destroyed.

2351 Astronomical Station K-105 destroyed. Fighters scrambled from surveillance Outposts Bravo and Delta to recon and respond.

0022 Recon group from Outposts Bravo and Delta jump to site of K-105. They have not reestablished contact.

End Quote - WCP Manual.

WWII wouldn't have started if France and England hadn't blamed WWI on Germany and put it into, what was it? A 33 billion debt? They made rather unfair demands of Germany. Heck, they didn't even allow Germany to be in on their own surrender negotiations...

The planetological survey would probably have found them...they're hiding in system with 2 other Kilrathi groups and 4 Confed bases, for crying out loud. How did they ever expect to run a bunch of illegal operations from there?

[Edited by Nep Parth on 06-21-2001 at 17:11]

Back