A couple Kilrathi questions.

I can catch your uneasiness about that story McGruff and I'm uneasy about it too. I wouldn't plan to include much of this story IF I decide to include any of it. I may keep it vague and say a mysterious super weapon on the planet killed members of his Clan when it destroyed their carrier in orbit.

This is exactly why I didn't want to post the other episodes in the 'crossover' in the first place (it actually took years to convince myself it was a good idea). Just watch the Academy episode as a stand alone story.

It's possible that the Krant has a second pilot (it seems to have a second canopy)... but he would be a co-pilot, radar or weapons operato rather than a turet gunner.

I don't think that i've ever been shot at by the back of a WC1 fighter... It does appear that way from time to time, however it should be noted that the graphics they were using back then, werent exactly terrific... even by those times new advances were being made... so i suspect what you thought was a tail gunner was just a lack of pixles to show the fighter making a quick turn... thats what i dismissed it as.

Yeah Loaf, I was going to ask about the KF-402 Krant. It does have two canopys... at least it appears to and that is what was rendered in WCS. Which begs the question why does the database list as only having a single pilot?

After looking into this... i have a feeling the second canopy is only used when the Krant is configured as a bomber, one pilot, one gunner... or perhaps a Jump navigator. Those were my theories...

Yeah Loaf, I was going to ask about the KF-402 Krant. It does have two canopys... at least it appears to and that is what was rendered in WCS. Which begs the question why does the database list as only having a single pilot?

Yeah, we just don't have a solid proof that there's a second guy - it's never been mentioned in any sort of description. The Confed Handbook even says that its life support can sustain "a Kilrathi".

I remember wondering about the Krant on WC1.

http://www.blacklance.org/claw/22.html

The Claw Marks schematic shows just one canopy. Maybe the ship is an early example of Kilrathi asymmetrical design and there's not one on the left side.

It's also interesting that the Krant Ace, Khajja the Fang, was a very team-oriented Kilrathi, and yet his info talks about his faith on his wingmen, and nothing about a co-pilot.

The Claw Marks schematic shows just one canopy. Maybe the ship is an early example of Kilrathi asymmetrical design and there's not one on the left side.

The Claw Marks schematic shows just one canopy... in the half of the fighter which is pictured. By this faulty logic the majority of ships have only *half* a cockpit.

Well, every single fighter has a single canopy. The Salthi turns better towards one side and the Jalthi has a different set of guns on either side, so it's not like symmetry was important to the Kilrathi on WC1.

On the other hand, the model and VDU image really appear to show a second canopy. But what would it be for if the ship has no co-pilot or crew, just the pilot?

I had l.o.l. but it turned to ~ so I guess it's a bad on the eyes eh? hehe.
It would be funny though if thats how they transported the women, I could see it happening, especially if shes a backseat driver type. :)

I saw the VDU, I guess it could be a pilot and co pilot, or a training fighter... like how drivers ed cars have two steering wheels and brakes. Or a ralley car where one is the navigator.

Just a thought, but what about, Both pilots train together and act as one pilot so they are listed as one.

Just a thought, but what about, Both pilots train together and act as one pilot so they are listed as one.

That's an interesting idea, if we consider that the Kilrathi are known for team work

But I think it's more on the pack mentality, I don't think they would go as far as to list two pilots as one

About that team work bit: I know that Darkets are known to work in pairs, the whole pack mentality would fit and all those ambush stories but I think I remember that in the WC3 novel, when Blair and Hobbes (I think) encounter some Kilrathi fighters it is shown that the Kilrathi do not use their strength in numbers but attack one after another.

Edit: No, it was with Flint and they do attack in pairs, they only give the first attacker some more time.

Back