A bit of amusement...

Oh, no. Once I finish the game, I make every effort to find all the losing missions (that's yet another cool thing about WC), but some of the ones in WCP/SO were very hard to find, eg the three-way G'Wriss mission in WCP.

I just think it's funny to reward 'losers' with cooler missions, that's all. :) Then, again, losing in WC3 does give you one of the best cutscenes, not to mention a showdown with the Kilrathi dreadnought.

I agree there, I was terribly amused by the losing path for WC3. Ironically that was the first mission tree I ever familiarized myself with because I'd just gotten my hands on the game and was terribly young, so I wasn't terribly good at getting things done like everyone seemed to expect me to, heh. Also I was terribly amused when, at that tender young age, I learned a dandy new phrase after being asked if I wanted my life spared. When I declined I was introduced to the very popular cliche "Screw you". I later told my father that I thought it was a funny thing to say and he told me not to repeat it... I didn't figure out why for quite a while after that, heh.

Ah yes the Kilrathi dreadnought. That evokes some memories. I remember flying a Longbow, loading up with dumbfires and then taking on that big sucker. I let everything rip and only managed to toast a quarter of it on the display. Blast.
Another time I tried to shave off its turrets with an Excalibur, but there were just too many of them and I got fragged.

BTW did you ever manage to preserve those Confed destroyers? I was sort of hoping that if they survived they'd attack the dreadnought. When I managed to save them, all they did was either sit still or just plain fly off, without attacking the dreadnought. What a disappointment. I mean they could've fired a capship missile or something :(

If I was in command of one of those tin cans, and found myself facing a 22 kilometre dreadnaught, I would make tracks too. :)

Best, Raptor

heh... yeah, the big boys require that officers have a change of underwear sometimes. But you know, I've finished all my WC games over and over (I have WC2 and its expansions, 3, 4, Prophecy and SO), but have NEVER played to lose on purpose. I should do that sometime.

I also find it interesting that WC uses the metric system... I swear, the United States is the only country in the world that uses the Imperical system.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong lol... there's also some small out of the way island in God-knows-where that my teachers mentioned briefly so they could save face for the US and its confusing measuring system. Of course the name escapes me and, who knows, they might have gone metric since 5th grade, hah!

It's good to lose sometimes. Particularly in WC3/4/P. Only recently did I fail the Ariel system in WC3. Instead of "Explain to me how even with their jump point masked, the Terran carrier escaped our grasp." you get an entirely different scene (which I think is cooler). Funnily enough, people still complain about the cloaked jump point even if you fail before you reach that mission.

Other cool losing scenes are of course the Kilrathi invasion scenes in WC3, the Confed fleet attack in WC4, and the Midway firing the plasma gun a second time in WCP. Those aren't the only losing scenes either.

I remeber the old days of using the Origin -k command to fly the losing missions in WC1&2. iirc correct the dos version of Sm1 &2 let you replay missions from previous games, and you could choose which mission. I think you had to give up a save game "bunk" Those were the days.

ah... well, I've seen the Midway fire its gun the second time... it's only happened for me when I get killed and select "continue".

All I have to do is fail mission after mission, right?

Originally posted by Raptor
If I was in command of one of those tin cans, and found myself facing a 22 kilometre dreadnaught, I would make tracks too. :)

Best, Raptor

But the whole point of that mission was to show just how screwed Confed was. Yes taking on the dreadnought in a little destroyer is suicide, but there realistically isn't any other option. After all, with Confed out of the way, nowhere is safe from the Kilrathi.

I guess it was too much of a hassle to write mission specific AI for the destroyers. Still, I agree with you. It would have been cool to see them going down in blaze of glory, much as Eisen and the Victory did.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Wedge009
I just think it's funny to reward 'losers' with cooler missions, that's all. :)

Gives the games more replay value. And means that if you decide to cheat your way through the game you'll miss out on some good stuff.

And sometimes they allow you to improve your playing skills - as you'd probably need some help.

Originally posted by Penguin
BTW did you ever manage to preserve those Confed destroyers? ...they could've fired a capship missile or something.
I'd thank them for doing such a good job until the dreadnought arrives. I think the Sheffield and the Coventry have some of the best gunners in the fleet, very seldom I need to make an effort to protect them - more often I need to compete with them to kill the Kats, since they too often fly into their turret barrage.

In any case, only a crazy pilot like Blair would dare take on a dreadnought.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
I also find it interesting that WC uses the metric system... I swear, the United States is the only country in the world that uses the Imperical system.
Probably... although there are still quite a few places which still measure distances and speed in miles and mph.

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
Other cool losing scenes are of course the Kilrathi invasion scenes in WC3, the Confed fleet attack in WC4, and the Midway firing the plasma gun a second time in WCP.
Not quite as cool, but I like a losing scene in WC2 (SO2?) where the Kilrathi Emperor tells Thrakhath that if the presence of the Concordia "disturbs" him, he may destroy it.

Originally posted by Shane
I remeber the old days of using the Origin -k command to fly the losing missions in WC1&2.
Origin -k gives you cheat and invincibility modes. Transfer.exe allows you to play any mission in the Vega campaign in WC1 (these cost a save 'bunk') and there are some COM files which allow you to select any mission in WC2 and the SOs (these replaced the 'auto-save' slot).

I think the Sheffield and the Coventry have some of the best gunners in the fleet, very seldom I need to make an effort to protect them - more often I need to compete with them to kill the Kats, since they too often fly into their turret barrage.

In any case, only a crazy pilot like Blair would dare take on a dreadnought.

"Quite quite true. It is the men isn't it." Adm Tolwyn, WC4.

Origin -k gives you cheat and invincibility modes. Transfer.exe allows you to play any mission in the Vega campaign in WC1 (these cost a save 'bunk') and there are some COM files which allow you to select any mission in WC2 and the SOs (these replaced the 'auto-save' slot).

I think you can use it to select missions as well, if you know what the mission is. I think the system was something like A1 being the initial mission you fly, and something like Z4 was the last mission in venice. You just taked it on like another siwtch. I recall Origin -k was rumored to do bad things to your system. I used it once to play all the way through on the winning path to get every kill possible that way. I wanted it as a bench mark to compare when I played normally. Never had any trouble.

Trust me, Shane. I just played WC1/2 not long ago.

The "Origin" argument allows you to 'finger of death' enemies (or friendlies (or even yourself in WC1 if you're not careful!)), the "-k" addition adds invincibility. Try pressing Alt-O in WC2 and see what happens. :)

TRANSFER.EXE allows you to choose missions in WC1.
PLAY-XXX.COM allows you to select missions in WC2/SO1/SO2. This is what you were thinking of, first mission in WC2 would be "PLAY-WC2 1 a", K'tithrak Mang would be "PLAY-WC2 8 d" and the last Gwynedd mission would be "PLAY-WC2 12 d". Similar thing for SO1/SO2, except series 5 would contain the losing missions - "PLAY-SOX 4 d" would allow you to play the final mission in either Special Op.

Originally posted by Shane
I recall Origin -k was rumored to do bad things to your system. I used it once to play all the way through on the winning path to get every kill possible that way. I wanted it as a bench mark to compare when I played normally. Never had any trouble.
Never heard this rumour, and neither did I have any trouble either. I think KS calls you a cheat if you use this, though. And that's how I got 1200+ kills for ol' Bluehair in the six campaigns. :)

Never even tried it with KS, [old fogey voice]I used it on DOS. Why in my day we didna...zzzz...snort...zzzz[/old fogey voice]

I'll take your word for it, cause I don't remember :)

Hey, I played it on DOS too. What do you think I have, KS? Yeah, right... :(

I'm not an old fogie either. But that's interesting how people think that way - even our computer lecturer just assumed we were all raised on the GUI-based OSs of Win9x. At least some of us remember DOS. I even remember seeing the original Windows (version 1!) in electronics for some reason. :) And I'm sure there's plenty more before that.

I need to build an old DOS machine. I've got the parts, just not the time. I also have to shake down an old friend who has (at least he better still have them) my old WC2 disks. I grew up on TSR-80's Commodore 64's and the like. It's amazing how far games 9on the graphics side at least) have come. I still will dig out an old infocom text adventure game and play it from time to time. I'm going to get some for my nephew in a few years. They are great games for your mind and make reading fun as well. I can now play them on my Visor.

Talking about remaking an old game, I've been playing X-Wing off the collectors CD recently. I kept thinking there was something missing. The visuals and sounds were better, but something was wrong. Then it occured to me. In the old version you could change who you flew with. If you wanted, you could Clone yourself, if you were good and then fly with a group of Top Ace (or whatever the highest rating was) pilots. Not a feature anymore. Not sure why they cut it.

Back