A bit of amusement...

Dak: I prefer to be heroic when the situation calls for it. Blowing up that tiny flotilla, is a situation that calls for some minor heroics. Saving the fleet plasma for the wormhole is a situation that calls for a celebration and lots of alcohol!!! :p

I was referring to how you handled yourself during the end sequences for WC3 & 4 Penguin.

Your plan for destroying the wormhole and the fleet would have been a lot bigger victory for Casey and a the Midway, but hey, it's a game, it's supposed to be awkward.

Originally posted by Penguin
Here's a thought. What if they saved the fleet plasma cannon and waited for the bug fleet that Dekker mentions to jump through and then fire the fleet plasma cannon at them. Now that would have to the biggest surprise in the history of war :D

Meanwhile, you have another Nephilim fleet attacking our colonies. Great plan! :rolleyes:

The biggest problem I have with this mission is the fact that the CAG feels we have to use the fleet plasma on this rather pathetic fleet... its not like its the Kilrathi armada from the losing thread of WC3.
It wasquite a large carrier group, in any case, the game may not have been able to support many more ships.

Here's a thought. What if they saved the fleet plasma cannon and waited for the bug fleet that Dekker mentions to jump through and then fire the fleet plasma cannon at them. Now that would have to the biggest surprise in the history of war.
They did not know that they could only fire the weapon once - risking so many lives in a traditional bombing assault when the plasma cannon would have worked was probably not a good option for the captain.

Originally posted by Oggy
...no Secret-Ops if we did that!
The Nephilim surely have several more ships then even Confed and the Kilrathi put together. Even after SO, there's indication of three more wormholes

Three more worm holes!!! :eek: I did not know that, i suppose origin has left the facility to make more wing commander games by putting that it, I'd like to see raids going through the worm hole we captured! i can see it now, Wing Commander : The Covert Operations

<straps into vampire> lets get stuck in then:D

Wedge009: The biggest problem I have with this mission is the fact that the CAG feels we have to use the fleet plasma on this rather pathetic fleet. I mean jeez its not like its the Kilrathi armada from the losing thread of WC3.
(...)

What surprised me the most (besides that rather small fleet) was that, IIRC, the CAG talks about survivors of the plasma attack in the mission after.

Originally posted by WildWeasel

Meanwhile, you have another Nephilim fleet attacking our colonies. Great plan! :rolleyes:

What other fleet?

Originally posted by Wedge009

It was quite a large carrier group, in any case, the game may not have been able to support many more ships.

But we didn't see anymore ships in the cutscene.

They did not know that they could only fire the weapon once - risking so many lives in a traditional bombing assault when the plasma cannon would have worked was probably not a good option for the captain.

True, but isn't it equally dangerous to put the Midway in direct danger? Especially when someone has to go put a marker on an enemy ship first?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

What surprised me the most (besides that rather small fleet) was that, IIRC, the CAG talks about survivors of the plasma attack in the mission after.

I think the CAG may have been referring to other Nephilim ships in the vicinity, but which weren't involved in the actual confrontation.

Well, I started off talking about my amusement, and now to discuss my lack of amusement. Is anyone else disappointed by the ending of SO? It's back to Ella to zoom in on the starbase and here a short bit of babble about "Have the Midway pilots returned to their homebase. CIS will take it from here... Thank you sir." How terribly droll. No party where we can booze it up?

Originally posted by Antix
Well, I started off talking about my amusement, and now to discuss my lack of amusement. Is anyone else disappointed by the ending of SO? It's back to Ella to zoom in on the starbase and here a short bit of babble about "Have the Midway pilots returned to their homebase. CIS will take it from here... Thank you sir." How terribly droll. No party where we can booze it up?

It was a free game I was happy. I'm not sure party sounds would have been that interesting. I guess they could have included video footage of a celebration, but the file size would have jumped and made downloads harder for many. I liked the fact they did have three endings, the successful capture, the oops we blew it up and the oh crap, the bugs won.

Ungh, my failing memory again. What was shown in the lose-lose cutscene of SOPS? I think I remember the explosion of that big space station and gouvernor Cavazos (sp?) crying sth but my memory is very fuzzy. Can someone refresh my memory please?

(I am sure there are plenty of people who are able to refresh my memory, question is: Are they willing to do so? ;) )

I'm sure there's no explosion. The two Plunkett cruisers around the base are firing on Nephilim fighters (heh, and their huge artillery can be seen going through the base, IIRC), while Admiral Rayak tells Governor Cavazos to get on the transport. The base comm system blares out an evacuation order before failing.

What I'm disappointed in is that we never flew by the Ella starbase in a mission, we only helped divert enemies away from it. [Scratch this, judging from the CIC guide, it seems the Cerberus is forced to defend it in one of the losing missions in Ella. Can't believe I never found it. Or perhaps that's a good thing... :)]

What? There's at least one mission where you see Ella up close.. you have to sit between it and an Orca taking out capship missiles before they reach the bridges of Ella.

It's the same with the Midway, a lot of people don't realise that you get to fly around the Midway in Secret Ops.. there were a lot of cool losing path missions.

Heh, I just edited that at the same time you posted. ;)

I actually found the Midway mission, but I think that one was easy, because it was in the Sirius system, a complete branch away from Krieger, whereas the Ella starbase defence mission was only a single mission branch. Why do they give the cool missions to the 'losers'? :(

Heh, I just edited that at the same time you posted. ;)

I actually found the Midway mission, but I think that one was easy, because it was in the Sirius system, a complete branch away from Krieger, whereas the Ella starbase defence mission was only a single mission branch. Why do they give the cool missions to the 'losers'? :(

So that you have a decent reason to play the losing threads. Otherwise what would be the point in having a losing thread if the losing missions are boring?

Back