Wing Commander Toolbox

Pedro

Admiral
My goal is to re-implement the WC engine in C89 with shims for all the platform specific stuff so that I can easily port it to a variety of platforms like my Sun Ultra 2 and Blade 1000, an SGI Octane, and a homemade ARM-based platform that runs NuttX. I've also got a side project going for a homemade CPU design that I intend to target with a simple C compiler and I'm hoping to eventually get it running there as well, performance permitting.

So basically, my goal is a clean, open source, easy-to-port, re-implementation of the WC engine.

It's a project that's been on my mind for years, but I recently ran across my copy of "Secrets of the Wing Commander Universe" while cleaning my office, providing the motivation to finally put the plan into action.

As a child I dreamt up all sorts of add-on missions/campaigns for the game, so if all goes well I would like to implement some of those, but that's a project for later, after I have a better feel for how the internals work.

The Wing Commander 4 project is actually being coded in such a way that it could support any of the games (hence why you see demos with WC3 assets despite our WC4 focus). The engine is multiplatform, and the long term dream would be to have all of the games playable from the same codebase.
From what you're describing it wouldn't be of direct interest as it's C++ and whilst it is multiplatform the development and tools are exclusively on windows so. Still PM if you're interested in any co-ordination for handling of file formats, parsing mission scripts etc.

GuybrushSF

Chief Petty Officer
Hi UnnamedCharacter,

I'm translating Wing Commander 1 in french with the fantastic toolbox :)
I've noticed some missing strings in wc.exe file. I can't find them in the WC.EXE.XML after unpacking.

It's an known issue ? (or it's me ;) )
Thank you again for this Toolbox.

Attachments

• wcexe.png
    wcexe.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 29

cashgrany

Spaceman
Hi all . I am turning to you regarding WC3. In my games folder I only have the DATA.DAT and OBJECTS.TRE folders I only managed to extract the OBJECTS.TRE and I only get 2 .IFF files. Why don't I have a DATA.TRE file? I specify that I have the Origin version of EA. Sorry for my bad English .

Pedro

Admiral
Hi all . I am turning to you regarding WC3. In my games folder I only have the DATA.DAT and OBJECTS.TRE folders I only managed to extract the OBJECTS.TRE and I only get 2 .IFF files. Why don't I have a DATA.TRE file? I specify that I have the Origin version of EA. Sorry for my bad English .
The origin version mounts a disc image. For the remake project when it finds wc3 it makes a copy that disk image with the extension .iso and mounts it
You’ll find the full set of tre files in the iso

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
DATA.DAT is the disk image(s). You should be able to open/extract files from it relatively easily. You can even straight up change the DAT extension to ISO and open it in windows explorer or a different disk image reader

Marty2Life

Spaceman
Hello to all the pilots out there.

I'm new to the forum and have known Wing Commander since the beginning of 1990.
I played the first part on the Amiga 1200 when I was a child. That was the OCS version.
Then the other parts on the PC.

I also have the packs and everything that belongs there as well as a 3DO + SWC and MAC and PSX.
..(A native port from SWC for the PC would be nice as well as Doom and Final Doom PSX ... but that's different)

Every now and then I observe and follow what is going on in the wing scene.

This is great with the toolbox :)

I'm working on my DOSbox fork, which is a mixture of Dosbox-X and Daum (Windows95 and 98 run in my Dosbox). Got all the parts in the Dosbox (yes also the Windows95 versions).

Now to my question. Since I am a German user, I would like to translate the PC Wing Commander 1 Dos version and / or the Kilrathi version into German. I have the CD32 (combi with Dangerous Streets).

It would be great if you would also support them in the toolbox. The problem is just the crunch files of the Amiga version (* .pkt) Entries start in the header with NJMP (they can be decrunched with the xfd system under Amiga).

Then the headers have TM6 and others *.pkt files have LZNP in the header. they cant decrunched.
My skill for such crunch files is not high enough and now I am translating "Hardware - The future is greedy" into German and scanning all my Amiga/Console/PC stuff in HD.

Before I die, I want to play Wing Commander 1 PC DOS and SWC (with subtitles) and Privateer 1 in German. Wing Commander 2 German Conversion runs with Speech and Subtitles at same time :)

Edit: I was able to decrunch the German Script from Amiga Wing Commander :D and beginning to translate. Doing a pause on hardwar ..

Last edited:

EmuMusicFan

Ensign, 2nd Class
Hello to all the pilots out there.

I'm new to the forum and have known Wing Commander since the beginning of 1990.
I played the first part on the Amiga 1200 when I was a child. That was the OCS version.
Then the other parts on the PC.

I also have the packs and everything that belongs there as well as a 3DO + SWC and MAC and PSX.
..(A native port from SWC for the PC would be nice as well as Doom and Final Doom PSX ... but that's different)

Every now and then I observe and follow what is going on in the wing scene.

This is great with the toolbox :)

I'm working on my DOSbox fork, which is a mixture of Dosbox-X and Daum (Windows95 and 98 run in my Dosbox). Got all the parts in the Dosbox (yes also the Windows95 versions).

Now to my question. Since I am a German user, I would like to translate the PC Wing Commander 1 Dos version and / or the Kilrathi version into German. I have the CD32 (combi with Dangerous Streets).

It would be great if you would also support them in the toolbox. The problem is just the crunch files of the Amiga version (* .pkt) Entries start in the header with NJMP (they can be decrunched with the xfd system under Amiga).

Then the headers have TM6 and others *.pkt files have LZNP in the header. they cant decrunched.
My skill for such crunch files is not high enough and now I am translating "Hardware - The future is greedy" into German and scanning all my Amiga/Console/PC stuff in HD.

Before I die, I want to play Wing Commander 1 PC DOS and SWC (with subtitles) and Privateer 1 in German. Wing Commander 2 German Conversion runs with Speech and Subtitles at same time :)

Edit: I was able to decrunch the German Script from Amiga Wing Commander :D and beginning to translate. Doing a pause on hardwar ..

Hello! Since you are maintaining your own DOSBOX fork, may I ask some questions?

The first one is about the translation you mentioned. Is it possible to detect the dialog text display program behavior of WC1 and WC2 at the level of DOSBOX and load the corresponding translated text display at the level of DOSBOX?

And, is it possible to detect the corresponding program behavior from the DOSBOX level when WC3 plays FMV and then react in the DOSBOX? I mean, it might be possible to use FMV with enhanced resolution this way.

Marty2Life

Spaceman
Difficult. But it's not impossible. One could build in a kind of monitoring for Wing Commander in the source and in the debug mode. Files can be caught by name. Similar and really just similar to the pinball hack. With this, Pinball Fantasies or Dreams or other MSDOS pinball games of the whole table can be displayed completely in MSDOS via DOSbox and you can play these games. Instead of 320x200 or 640x480 it is then 320x600. Wing Commander accesses the texts via the font file. There it should. One would have to intervene in memory management. But this will be hardcore ...

For the Higher Resolution in WC3 and Software Mode. I think this will be a hard Pixel Calculation. Because you go out of the standard here. It's a shame that Wing Commander 3 didn't get a 3DFX in DOS or Windows 95.

First Mission in German (MS-DOS ... yeah)

Attachments

• wc_006.png
    wc_006.png
    468.8 KB · Views: 5
  • wc_007.png
    wc_007.png
    885.3 KB · Views: 5
  • wc_008.png
    wc_008.png
    719.6 KB · Views: 3
  • wc_009.png
    wc_009.png