Wing Commander Saga Klavs Ship Pack

crazycanuck

Commodore
This pack adds Klavs' Wing Commander 1 ships to Wing Commander Saga.

Version 3.1

Download here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ROp4ITUHWyzqvkCkYonTqcMIsbMAsif/view?usp=sharing

Wing Commander 1 Ship Pack v3.1 Release Notes:

Changelog:

v3.1

- Fixed bugs from cockpit mod testing.

Requirements:

Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn: Fs2Open version

Installation:

Place the WC1ships25.vp file in your Wing Commander Saga Root directory (eg: C:\Games\FreespaceOpen\Wing_Commander_Saga\Wing_Commander_Saga-0.9.4)

How to Use:

All the ships should be viewable in the Tech Room. There is also a simple three point patrol mission in the mission simulator as well as a capital ship search and destroy mission. For added fun try flying the mission with different ships which you can select before starting the mission. All the ships work in FRED so feel free to make additional missions and share them with the community.

Known Issues/To Do List:

Add 3D cockpits.

Sounds not playing for the Sivar's Proton Accelerator Cannon.

Anti-mater turrets on the Bengal are inverted.

Special Thanks:

To Klavs81 for your increadable ship models.

To "The E" on the Hard Light forums for helping me figure out how to import the models.

To "Axem" and "Black Wolf" on the Hard Light forums for helping me troubleshoot the Sivar's beam weapon.

To Kevin Caccamo for his Convoy Intercept mission which was invaluable in figuring out how to edit Freespace 2.

To the staff at the Wing Commander CIC. The ship encyclopedia helped program in all the ship specs.

To the Wing Commander Saga team for such a great mod.

Roadmap:

v3.5 - 3D cockpits!

v4.0 - Overhaul the Bengal carrier.

Last edited:
Okay mate, HUGE grin on my face, spectacular work! Really really appreciate getting to fly these guys in game!

Just a couple of small nits, and NO harm intended. I'm so darn happy right now, you have no idea!

1. No mass drivers on the Scimitar? I'd intended for those round holes underneath the nose to be where they shoot from once I eliminated the 'tusks'

2. The big wing guns on the Raptor were intended to be the neutron guns, that's why I made them look kind of like the Movie Rapier's gatling neutron gun. (side note, TOTALLY AWESOME seeing the Torpedoes hanging off the Raptor. LOVE IT)

2a. I see you deleted a lot of the detail from those guns, feel free to make scale those cylinders to be a little wider, and I think it'd look perfect! I can eventually provide a lower poly model with a normal map if that's something the engine can handle.

3. I think laser energy consumption is pretty low on the whole. I know we don't want to screw up the existing game, but maybe there could be an 'early war' version of the lasers that consumes more energy per shot? I can blast away with the Hornet all day and never break a sweat!

All minor things, and it is, after all, YOUR MOD. And Bravo Zulu to you! Really really really really really happy right now!

Maybe @Loaf could put break from his regular news coverage and put you on the front page? (or any fan projects, for that matter *cough homeworld mod*) you certainly deserve it! :)

Ooh yeah - I haven't been able to keep up with playing this stuff, but I will make sure to include it in the news!
Given the number of models Klavs gave us over the past week or two, I guess you're covered. XD

Sivar, it feels like we just went in a synchronized mod rush now with his content.

Okay mate, HUGE grin on my face, spectacular work! Really really appreciate getting to fly these guys in game!

Just a couple of small nits, and NO harm intended. I'm so darn happy right now, you have no idea!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod! No worries about the criticism. It's important for me to get good feedback so I can make this mod the best it can be.

1. No mass drivers on the Scimitar? I'd intended for those round holes underneath the nose to be where they shoot from once I eliminated the 'tusks'

I did some investigating and the problem was in the mission file. The loadout selection screen did not allow mass drivers. I fixed it and reuploaded the file. If you download it again it should work. Let me know if it doesn't.

2. The big wing guns on the Raptor were intended to be the neutron guns, that's why I made them look kind of like the Movie Rapier's gatling neutron gun. (side note, TOTALLY AWESOME seeing the Torpedoes hanging off the Raptor. LOVE IT)

I was going of of what the CIC encyclopedia said ;-)

2a. I see you deleted a lot of the detail from those guns, feel free to make scale those cylinders to be a little wider, and I think it'd look perfect! I can eventually provide a lower poly model with a normal map if that's something the engine can handle.

If the models are over 30,000 triangles Freespace 2 crashes. The guns on the raptor were about 20,000 triangles each. I had no choice but to remove geometry to get the polycount down. If you can make models with less than 30,000 triangles in them I can import them with no changes.

3. I think laser energy consumption is pretty low on the whole. I know we don't want to screw up the existing game, but maybe there could be an 'early war' version of the lasers that consumes more energy per shot? I can blast away with the Hornet all day and never break a sweat!

I based the energy consumption on the original game. I just checked and the Hornet is the same as in the GOG version.

Thanks for the tips. I'm working on the Venture now. I just need to master turrets and glowmaps. Trust me, I'm just getting started!

I have uploaded some screenshots for promotion.

Attachments

• Patrol1.jpg
    Patrol1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 540
  • Patrol2.jpg
    Patrol2.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 519
  • Patrol3.jpg
    Patrol3.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 496
  • Patrol4.jpg
    Patrol4.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 519
  • Patrol5.jpg
    Patrol5.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 528
  • Patrol6.jpg
    Patrol6.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 525
  • Patrol7.jpg
    Patrol7.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 535
Awesome! I don't know if you fixed this yet, but the Raptor didn't have any mass drivers either
Raptor has always had both guns.

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Raptor_(Claw_Marks)

Even in the cockpit you can see in WC1 that the shots coming from the mass drivers are the outboard cannons. Given the 3D models are yours we can easily give you artistic license on which gun is which but every fighter should maintain their canon cannon armament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raptor has always had both guns.

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Raptor_(Claw_Marks)

Even in the cockpit you can see in WC1 that the shots coming from the mass drivers are the outboard cannons. Given the 3D models are yours we can easily give you artistic license on which gun is which but every fighter should maintain their canon cannon armament.

I meant that the version I played of this mod didn't seem to have any mass drivers.

The intent was for the Mass Drivers to come out of the fuselage holes with the scorching, and the neutron guns would come from the larger cannons on the wings. Which is the reverse of how it appears on the WC-1 blueprints, but whatever. However it winds up being is fine by me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. :)
Reminds me on how I recreated the Gwenhyvar encounter on the demo release of WCSaga using Kevin's "Hostile Frontier" assets adapted from "Standoff".
If you'd like, you may adapt it to use Klavs' assets on WCSaga's full release.

PS: WCSaga's Sabre uses a HUD which combines elements from WC2 and WC4. Perhabs you could adapt it for the WC1 fighters. :)

Reminds me on how I recreated the Gwenhyvar encounter on the demo release of WCSaga using Kevin's "Hostile Frontier" assets adapted from "Standoff".

PS: WCSaga's Sabre uses a HUD which combines elements from WC2 and WC4. Perhabs you could adapt it for the WC1 fighters. :)

Thanks for the tip! I found lots of WC2 shield icons in Saga's assets. I can probably use the WC1 assets from your pack.

Currently working on the Bengal. Hangar bay is done but I have a lot to do to get it under 40k triangles.
Bengal-hangar.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I found lots of WC2 shield icons in Saga's assets. I can probably use the WC1 assets from your pack.

Currently working on the Bengal. Hangar bay is done but I have a lot to do to get it under 40k triangles.

You're welcome.
Just one thing: The pack actually isn't mine. It was done by Kevin "Talon_1024" Caccamo. All I did was some testing and contributing the Gwenhyvar mission. So it might be a good idea to get in touch with Kevin. :)

Also, nice work on the hangar deck. :)

what do you guys think of adapting standoff cockpits to WCSaga?

what do you guys think of adapting standoff cockpits to WCSaga?

3D cockpits are definitely on my wish list. I know there is a cockpit mod that adds render to texture gauges but I am not sure it works with the Saga build of FS2. Once I am done importing all the ships I will investigate further.

Back