Wing Commander Flat Universe

Just wanted to report that the 32 bit executable does not work on Windows XP SP3. Starting the .exe file produces no result (in the task manager, the file is reported as running).

Just wanted to report that the 32 bit executable does not work on Windows XP SP3. Starting the .exe file produces no result (in the task manager, the file is reported as running).

Hi Salk.
Thank you for your report. However, we've benchmarked FlatUniverse on Windows XP with success but If I recall well this benchmark happened during version 0.7.5. Since then there have been significant improvements to the game engine and I must admit that we should try our XP benchmark again. As a general rule our engine has the following OS minimum requirements:
  • Windows XP+, Mac OS X 10.7+, Ubuntu 12.04+
But beware! From our experience this kind of behaviour happens when something is going wrong with the graphics card specifications or an outdated driver. So please would you mind giving us your SVGA specifications?
Again the general rule of the game engine in graphics cards is:
  • DirectX9 (shader model 2.0) capabilities; generally everything made since 2004 should work.
Taking this opportunity I would like to inform you that our project is in active progress and that we are in the process of doing undercarriage work for the Multipl... Ouppppsss, I am not aloud to reveal anything yet.
Thanks again for your interest and have fun,

Maslas

Hello dear Maslas brothers!

The specification for my SVGA are as follow:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 12/07/2015 19:21:24
System name: YOUR-33D2F8C044

[Display]
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, 32-bit (Service Pack 3)
DirectX version: 9.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 970
Driver version: 347.52
DirectX support: 9
CUDA Cores: 1664
Core clock: 1126 MHz
Memory data rate: 7010 MHz
Memory interface: 256-bit
Memory: 4096 MB
Memory type: GDDR5
Video BIOS version: 84.04.31.00.41
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16
Device Id: 10DE 13C2 113110DE
Part Number: G401 0010

It's worth to mention I am using an unofficial driver because nVidia has ceased support for Windows XP earlier this year (if I recall correctly). It's worth noting though that I have never had any problem playing any Windows XP game using this drivers.

I know Windows XP is phased out but I am still more comfortable using it although I do have a dual boot Windows 7 64 bit/Windows XP 32 bit.

...dual boot Windows 7 64 bit/Windows XP 32 bit.
Could you please confirm for us that FlatUniverse works well on you Win7 installation? So we could exclude any hardware incompatibility.

I am using an unofficial driver because nVidia has ceased support for Windows XP
The unofficial driver might be a problem since our physics engine works very very closely with Nvidia's PhysX

In the meantime we will arrange a Win XP box for our test run close to your specifications. Hopefully we will find a solution or an answer to this matter.
See you!

Maslas

Dear Wingnuts,

We'd like to wish the best of luck and prosperity for 2016. Furthermore, from the FlatUniverse perspective this year is going to be unique. For the past five months we've been a little quite and we are sorry for that. The reasons are interesting and always for the benefit of the project. Let us get into details:
  1. MaslasBros Studio. By the end of January 2016, all the FlatUniverse production will move to the brand new MaslasBros studio. The studio was under construction for the past three months and soon you gonna have some sneakpics into the home of FlatUniverse.
  2. Original Soundtrack. A long time Wing Commander fan has officially joined the FlatUniverse team to create an original score for our project. We are proud to welcome Mr. Cory Fujimori.
  3. Multiplayer. As it is mentioned before, we've been working a lot undercarriage and the reason is simple; multiplayer. We are heading towards version 1.0 where Flat Universe will actually get into Beta state and the multiplayer features will be available and ready to play. Hopefully, from the next update you gonna have a premature taste of it.

Last but not least there is an answer that we owe to Salk. But first let us refresh into our minds the issue:

We found a modern enough Windows Box able to carry Windows XP 32bit with official drivers and this is what we've got:

Screenshot_2.png.jpg Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_6.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_3.jpg Screenshot_4.jpg Screenshot_5.jpg

The pc that was used for the benchmark is an Intel i3 2nd generation 2GB of Ram and an Intel GPU with shared memory from the RAM.
From our experience a driver might be causing the problem that Salk reported and the balance falls to the unofficial Nvidia drivers that he was forced to install. I remind you that the physics in our game engine is working very closely to the Nvidia PhysX API, and that gives a logical explanation to the problem that he reported.

As always, we'd like to thank for your support and interest and we are excited to say that 2016 is going to be Lot Of Fun.
Stay tuned, there are a lot more to come,

the MaslasBros

Last edited:
Wow! I am very excited by the news!

Thanks a lot also for investigating my issue with running Wing Commander Flat Universe on Windows XP. Luckily I still have Windows 7 64 bit to fall back on.

And thank you so very much for keeping this project alive and improving at all times!

Great job, Maslas! ;)

Thanks a lot also for investigating my issue with running Wing Commander Flat Universe on Windows XP

What's the point of making a free game if only a handful of people can play it.

For the time being Windows XP is still a usable (although dated) OS and we don't want to drop the support for it. However most hardware vendors have moved on and so there is a good chance that at some point we will be forced to leave it behind. On the other hand I don't see this coming for the next couple years at least.

And thank you so very much for keeping this project alive and improving at all times!

Well thank you guys so much for helping us keep it alive.

I know this is a long shot, but so was the Behemoth.... and this may fail just as spectacularly....

Any chance of anything like this making a splash on Android or iOS?

I know this is a long shot, but so was the Behemoth.... and this may fail just as spectacularly....

Any chance of anything like this making a splash on Android or iOS?

We really don't like to disappoint any of you guys in this forum but our answer to this matter is negative. Up until version 2.0 of FlatUniverse there isn't anything scheduled saying anything about iOS or Android.
Although our engine is capable of mobile platform packaging, there are serious implications to this matter. There are many restrictions in mobile platforms that change a games development process in every and each of the following sectors. Graphics, Gameplay, Networking. In other words, a new game should be created that will look like FlatUniverse smell like FlatUniverse but it won't be FlatUniverse. More like PocketSlideUniverse or something. However, if our project becomes a great success and people like it soooo much! You never know... Things change. We change and Flatuniverse might change to iUniverse.

I hope we didn't break any hearts out there.:)

I appreciate your taking the time to answer the question! I'll just have to be content to feed my addiction at home only. :)

It's one thing for people to make mods and fan games for communities like this and self distribute over the internet, but I'd be shocked if there weren't something in the developer terms and conditions that would prevent someone from making an unofficial Wing Commander branded game and distributing it via the App Store or legitimate Android storefronts (even if it's free).

Quite right, Chris. There will be implications in the distribution, too, but I just wanted to stay technical to this matter.

dway9-page001.jpg dway9-page005.jpg dway9-page006.jpg

The first issue of D'sW for the year 2016 is out. As usual you may grab your copy with the usual methods or read it directly from the Flat Universe homepage. This one is a unique, since it contains a special cover page with screens coming directly from our game engine and a short, short story instead of an article.
In the meantime, the MaslasBros studio is almost finished.
In other words! Hold your appetite because there are lot more and funnier things to come.

the MaslasBros

Hey Wingnuts,

I want just to remind you that we are going to be interviewed by the guys at spacegamejunkie.com for Wing Commander Flat Universe on Tuesday March 1st 6 AM PST (2 PM UTC).

The podcast is a YouTube live stream and you get to make questions that we will answer in real time!

I know it's a little bit early for the west coast but it was the best compromise so that people from most time zones can attend.

We hope to meet you there!

Y'all make sure to post the re-link up after they have it up; I'll be at work at that point for sure, so I'll miss the live stream. Those guys are pretty nice.

I've always believed that nothing happens in this world without some kind of motivation. For example, the motivation of a professional is called; money. The motivation for our project is called; WingNut vote.
Thank you for once more guys!

Back