Wing Commander Flat Universe

Aginor,

We are sorry for not having the chance to reply sooner but let's say that it was a busy week for us. So, lets get to the point.

I couldn't get missiles to work. Am I doing something wrong or are they not implemented yet? I don't see a lock-on, and I can fire all of them as dumb fires I think.

Missiles are fully operational. The missile types are exactly the same as in every WC game (DF, HS, IR, FF, MINES, TORPEDOS) and with almost the same characteristics. It might be possible that you didn't notice that in this version of the game there is an option for weapon selection on the same terminal display that you select your ship. Some hardpoints have certain missile restrictions. For example the Hornet has 3 hardpoints with capacity of 1 missile each. The center hardpoint can take either a HS or a DF whereas the other two only take DFs. Different hardpoint restrictions exist on both the Scim and the Raptor.
In order to complete a successful missile launch your ships fore (nose) must be within 45degrees angle from your target and the target must be locked (default key L). This is the basic logic for almost all the missiles except the FF who doesn't need locking nor certain aiming from your side.
Finally, be warned that HSs are useless against targets without engines, in other words HS vs Turret = no boooom. I know what you might be thinking, that HSs are useless right now and the answer is. Yes, they are!

I'm a bit torn on missile and laser range. Turrets fire before I can see them, and I can hit them with lasers at that range as well I think. In some way this is cool, but it can also be a bit annoying.
And then of course the "wide screen problem". Attacking from the side of the screen is better due to screen format. But I think that's actually a gameplay element since it encourages the player to use the corresponding tactics.

We are still tweaking with the gun ranges. We are also considering to reduce their ranges a little so they should feet into the window of a 16:9 ratio screen. However, be reminded that we encourage you to use the camera zoom and follow capabilities, they work fast without interrupting the player from the gameplay.

Will there be a mission/campaign editor? I'd love to see that and try making a few missions myself.
There will be a mission editor but it is scheduled for the very later versions of the project. As our moto says: "Comming sooner or later".

No problem!
I think I just missed the part with the lock, I tried firing without it. Will try again. :)

I tried again yesterday, and indeed (with the exception of HS Missiles, which is OK since the targets are turrets) it works.
I also noticed that it makes the missions a bit easier.... :D

I also used the Scimitar for a change (I was one of those players who actually liked it in WC1 back in the day).
I have to check and compare again, but it feels extremely sluggish IMO. The Raptor turns better it seems. I don't care much about the numbers, since those have to be balanced, but just to get the order right: The Raptor is both slower and less maneuverable than the Scimitar, and it doesn't feel like that in WCflat at the moment.
The turn rate of the Scimitar is what I would have expected from the Raptor I think.
Perhaps it only feels like it is turning slower, because it flies faster. I will check that again with the same speed. But I never encountered problems when trying to dodge asteroids or mines in the Raptor, while I did have problems with the Scimitar.

And to help you a bit with your balancing: I _think_ someone had a huge ship comparison/balancing thread here on these forums a while back. To allow a balanced game with ships of different games while trying to keep the "feel" of the original WC games... Maybe the thread was related to the WC RPG. (Capi, do you read this?)
Something like that was also done for various ships by the Unknown Enemy, Standoff, and Saga teams, and by myself (I changed a few things in Saga's balance for my mod).

And to help you a bit with your balancing: I _think_ someone had a huge ship comparison/balancing thread here on these forums a while back. To allow a balanced game with ships of different games while trying to keep the "feel" of the original WC games... Maybe the thread was related to the WC RPG. (Capi, do you read this?)

Yeah, I've been following this thread. I'm trying to remember exactly where that thread was - I'll have to rummage around for it. I know balancing the ships was one of the trickier bits of WCRPG (and I recall we had to work in an adjustment for later craft because the defenses were so strong and the weapons were so weak as they were written).

Occurs to me that I just got done doubling my computer's memory...I should give the latest Flat Universe demo another spin. I think I may be doing something wrong; I didn't encounter asteroids on the second training mission or mines on the third the last time I did them (in fact, I didn't encounter squat on either of them), and I just encountered the five turrets on the first training mission; is there any more to those missions?

By the way, I wrote something wrong there. The Raptor is more nimble and faster than the Scimitar in WC1, I'm not sure what I was thinking....
But the difference in maneuverability isn't that big. That's what I wanted to say I guess. IMO it is hardly noticable in WC1.

EDIT @capi3101
The first mission is just those 5 turrets. There isn't more.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness... I can't believe I missed this whole project until today!

Great job, Maslas brothers! You are heroes to me!

Please keep putting your talent and passion into this project. Consider me a fan.

I didn't encounter asteroids on the second training mission or mines on the third the last time I did them (in fact, I didn't encounter squat on either of them), and I just encountered the five turrets on the first training mission; is there any more to those missions?

Hi Capi,

yes, I am preaty sure that you haven't encountered the asteroids in the second mission because it is a bit tricky. When you start the mission your ship is coordinated(looking) to the south(down). However, the asteroids together with the enemy turrets are positioned in the north(up). Simply, turn your ship towards the radar "enemy" contact and I am sure that you will meet the asteroids.
But let me explain better.
Since the nav/goal system is not yet implemented to the FlatUniverse your navigation to the space will be confusing so please keep your appetite for the following major update.

Congrats on your fan project of the year win, well deserved.
24ca970942df14ec5b25813854a12e53.jpg

looking forward to more flat universe. I completely suck at the game, but I keep coming back to it.

Since I saw the post about the winners of 2014, this evening, my mind kept wandering on some thoughts that I don't know how exactly I should put them in words.
Being second in a race means one and only thing. Your goal is crystal clear... You have to become first! When you finally become first then all of the sudden you are privileged with a phantom choice. You either keep the title and leave from the scene as a winner but soon you will be forgotten and maybe called lucky or stay and keep fighting against the best of your self in your front while feeling the gasp of the second from behind. You've honoured us with two titles together this year! But guess what? We liked to play our games on the 'nightmare' difficulty level.
We are seriously happy of your decision and we are seriously committed to make you have fun with our work. The box is full of surprises for this year. So stay tuned for a lot more fun!!!

THANK YOU!

the MaslasBros

Something like that was also done for various ships by the Unknown Enemy, Standoff, and Saga teams, and by myself (I changed a few things in Saga's balance for my mod).

Aginor,
We'd like to collect this information, it will be usefull to see how someone else thinks on this matter. But, be warned! Our game play is a bit different from the Original WC. To be more specific.
You said:
The Raptor is more nimble and faster than the Scimitar in WC1, I'm not sure what I was thinking....
But the difference in maneuverability isn't that big. That's what I wanted to say I guess. IMO it is hardly noticable in WC1.
What you've noticed is correct. A ships turning in FlatUniverse has a more arcadish character than in WCs sim character. Due to this fact the differences between ship stats might seem more dramatic into the gameplay. It's like watching StarWars the movie and an animated series, the universe is the same, the characters are the same but they just look different so they could serve their purposes.
That doesn't necessarily means that we won't re-evaluate the Scimitars stats, so if you ever find this thread we would like to know it.

Thanks again for the interest!

Maslas brothers... We miss your updates! Please come back! :)

We know that we have turned to silent mode for a while but believe us when we say that it is for a good reason. Right now we are in the process of tuning our game engine and If we mange to make it through right on schedule it won't be long that you'll get your new update :). Hopefully this "following update" that I am referring to, will include better graphics quality and a more balanced overall performance.
Since we are the two of us who are working on this project, we are trying hard to automate some of our development procedures e.g.(in game update system) in order to gain time and schedule more frequent updates. But let me remind you that still our utter goal is to deliver this free game to the community finished, but not just that. We want the game to be delivered in the standards and that we have set. Therefore, we will try to give frequent updates but if will have to hold our scheduled build for the better of the project then the update will be postponed.
We love your passion and interest for "FlatUniverse" and of-course we are always available to answer to your calls. Always, feel free to tell us what's on your mind through this forum or any of the known contact methods that we provide.
Stay tuned for new updates!;)

the MaslasBros

Thanks for the update!

Two questions:
1. Will you make Kilrathi ships flyable as well, somewhere down the road?
2. how do you create missions? Some kind of text file (or XML or something), like in the FS2 engine, or do you actually have a graphical editor?

I'd love to create a small Sivar's Hand mission for FlatUniverse, just for fun. :)

1. Will you make Kilrathi ships flyable as well, somewhere down the road?
- Well not exactly down the road... The first of those is supposed to be flyable not in the next update but on the one after ;)

2. how do you create missions? Some kind of text file (or XML or something), like in the FS2 engine, or do you actually have a graphical editor?
- At the moment we design our missions directly in the game engine. However we have planned for and have the mechanics ready for a graphical mission editor that will hopefully also support chained missions (that's a synonym for campaigns)!

You should know that we planned for one or two initial campaigns with one that might involve a Kilrathi side to the story. Now we would not mind if you prefer to change this "small Sivar's Hand mission" to "a Sivar's Hand campaign". That would be more fun...

Last edited:
Oh thank you very much for making yourselves heard again.

Indeed our passion as community for your work is very high and your praises all deserved.

Thanks again for sharing your vision with all of us!

We know that we have turned to silent mode for a while but believe us when we say that it is for a good reason. Right now we are in the process of tuning our game engine and If we mange to make it through right on schedule it won't be long that you'll get your new update :). Hopefully this "following update" that I am referring to, will include better graphics quality and a more balanced overall performance.
Since we are the two of us who are working on this project, we are trying hard to automate some of our development procedures e.g.(in game update system) in order to gain time and schedule more frequent updates. But let me remind you that still our utter goal is to deliver this free game to the community finished, but not just that. We want the game to be delivered in the standards and that we have set. Therefore, we will try to give frequent updates but if will have to hold our scheduled build for the better of the project then the update will be postponed.
We love your passion and interest for "FlatUniverse" and of-course we are always available to answer to your calls. Always, feel free to tell us what's on your mind through this forum or any of the known contact methods that we provide.
Stay tuned for new updates!;)

the MaslasBros

Have you considered using GitHub for... well several benefits? Among others it allows fans and devs to directly follow your code updates, using a Twitter feed too if you allow.

https://github.com/

For news announcements on your page, could you put in parentheses the actual date? Like CIC? Otherwise the numbers are rather meaningless. Case in point, I go to doublecheck when 0.6.5 came out, and got a useless date that reminds me of MJD but isn't (I know it's in universe, but that doesn't help me)

Last edited:
Thanks for your support guys. It keeps us going!

Have you considered using GitHub for... well several benefits? Among others it allows fans and devs to directly follow your code updates, using a Twitter feed too if you allow.
Well, we use a private mercurial server as our versioning system and git to hg conversions are not particularly good, plus for several reasons we keep the project closed sourced (although its totally free!). Thus GitHub is out of the question for the moment. However we could probably connect our updates, posts and news announcements with twitter and facebook accounts so anyone who wishes could follow!

For news announcements on your page, could you put in parentheses the actual date? Like CIC? Otherwise the numbers are rather meaningless. Case in point, I go to doublecheck when 0.6.5 came out, and got a useless date that reminds me of MJD but isn't (I know it's in universe, but that doesn't help me)

What? The date today is not 2680.075? When is it then?

Sure, that's an easy one. Consider it done!

Back